Author Topic: J2ME Preservation blog  (Read 6305 times)

KAGE-008

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Starlink3854
J2ME Preservation blog
« on: October 15, 2018, 03:59:48 AM »
Recently (around July-August) I started a blog project with the main purpose of preserving Asian J2ME ports of classic games, that were once 'common' but are very rare these days. J2ME was a platform used by feature phones released during the 2000's decade, before Android/iOS started to dominate the mobile market. Some of them retain all the stuff from their respective original counterpart, while others got doctored in terms of levels/story/other stuff due to typical J2ME limitations. At the moment there are a few, each one in separate entries.

For these games you will need KEmulator or, if you have an Android device, J2ME Loader from Play Store. All of them need the emulated screen resolution set to 240x320, I plan on also posting a few that were available for smaller screens only.

Link to my blog project: HERE
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 04:03:02 AM by KAGE-008 »

kelvin donna

• Company Name: Satervest
    • View Profile
Re: J2ME Preservation blog
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 08:16:58 AM »
can you also make gba ports of j2me games like mercury meltdown please. i wish it to come true  :)
i hate all media of the world, so i just moved to eurasia.

Ninjinister

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 08:45:12 PM »
Holy crap a Gundam fighting game I didn't know about? EPIC

Icareevenless123456789

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 03:10:43 AM »
This is a neat project. do you take requests for games? there are some i've been trying to track down for a while, mainly Pac-Man SP (https://www.inside-games.jp/article/2011/04/02/48244.html)

guyzis

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 02:36:20 PM »
No idea where to put this. Does this deserve it's own topic or I can post it here? Anyway, lemme get it straight.

tl;dr. A couple weeks ago, I was looking for games to play on my Nokia (it's actually not a Nokia, it's a Samsung lol :P). I stumpled across a spin-off of the Final Fantasy games called Final Fantasy Legends: Warriors of Light and Dark. It was released for the DoCoMo FOMA phones (aka Cloud Strife's phone), but that's it, since the servers were shutdown, and it's no longer obtainable :( . I heard somewhere (forgot) that the thing might be incompatible with my model due to running on a phone being a J2ME-based engine based OS. (A phone that runs on an OS that uses the J2ME engine as a base, but without being J2ME) There's currently no sort of emulation for these. Okay, the game was released for iOS and Android, but I won't pay a buck. That's why i want the original thing. I found on the internet cracked versions of the currently unavailable ports of Final Fantasy I & II. I deleted the .jar from my computer since I installed the thing on the phone, so why would i like to have the same file twice; but the sites that i found these are PHONEKY and Dertz.

dertz.in
phoneky.com
pt.phonekycom (Brazilian Phoneky, has different games but is entirely on Portuguese)

That's not the only game for these that has been lost. There's also Kingdom Hearts V-CAST (I don't want this game) and Final Fantasy 7 Lost Episode - Dirge of Cerberus (also a no).More discussion on these here:

https://thelifestream.net/forums/threads/the-ffvii-mobile-game-initiative-2004-2008-era.20015/

I'll try to install a NES emulator on it so i can play Final Fantasy III (which got no port) and thus try to make myself happier :(

KAGE-008

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Starlink3854
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 02:29:48 AM »
FOMA phones ran on DoJa platform, which was basically J2ME with steroids, including sophisticated APIs such as MascotCapsule and OpenGL ES 1.1 (both ended up implemented on a few SonyEricsson phones). However, most Western phone makers were unable to switch to DoJa because the Japanese hardware was expensive at the time and people just used phones for basic functions.

Those two games you mentioned were developed for BREW. It was a very underrated platform, even in the present it's practically unemulatable.