Author Topic: Interesting VT03 documentation  (Read 8103 times)

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Interesting VT03 documentation
« on: March 26, 2011, 11:45:08 PM »
Gil Galad has this collection of various video game source code findings around the 'net; it can be found here.

On the NES source code page, there's a file called "VT02/03 OneBus Clone Unit" which contains various official demos and such from VRTech, makers of the OneBus hardware.

Interesting thing is, this doesn't just contain source code-- it also contains documentation.

The most interesting documentation is that from the Pic32 utility, a tool for creating the 4-bit graphic sprites for use in the VT03 chip. It includes EmuVT screenshots from two games created using the tool: a Dance Dance Revolution game that I hadn't yet seen (one of the official Konami-licensed famiclone DDR mats, possibly?) and... Pink Jelly. As in the game on that ABABsoft multicart. Same character and everything.

Incidentally, the package also includes an older beta version of EmuVT, and a full 8-megabyte Korean multicart ROM (!).

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 01:05:05 AM »
ooh, i saw that just yesterday actually. but i didnt check out that Pic32 documentation, nice find! Pink Jelly especially intrigues me - did the ABAB/ex-hummer guys intend to start developing for the VT03 but it never happened?

theres more stuff like that on VRT's download page, including a few demo roms scattered around - a "Pinball" credited to DJ-Jungle which is just a menu really, "Boxing" which is a menu and some still images, and a VT168 demo with a bunch of tests and stuff. interestingly the latter starts with the same sound effect used for the mini game menu in the various "Sport 6 in 1" Wii clones (like my Wow), but i suspect whoever coded that menu just stole it from the dev kit. :D

the name Biikoo keeps cropping up in this stuff too, which i mentioned in this thread - it seems to be the company Wise Wang worked for after DJ-Jungle/Jungletac & before Cube Tech.
just been looking through the docs for any more interesting screenshots - VRT seem to mostly favour using stolen Disney art in a lot of these. but theres one menu screenshot from something called "Hunting Park" (5 in 1, looks lightgun based) which I swear I saw for sale in Argos years ago, and a title screen(?) for "V-Dog: Jack Russell Terrier", presumably a Nintendogs type thing (maybe something to do with Jungletac's "Is Dog" which is listed on their website and apparently was exhibited at CES once, but doesnt seem to have been released)
oh yeah, and i had a look through the datasheets too. theres only one screenshot in any of them - in the VT1682 Programming Guide theres one of what looks like a Who Wants To Be A Millionaire game. with a £ sign, so presumably a UK one. a quick google suggests there were at least two different plug & plays released in the UK, maybe one of those runs on VRTech hardware.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 01:29:58 AM by taizou »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 03:14:40 AM »
taizou
Mar 27 2011, 01:05:05 AM
theres more stuff like that on VRT's download page, including a few demo roms scattered around - a "Pinball" credited to DJ-Jungle which is just a menu really, "Boxing" which is a menu and some still images, and a VT168 demo with a bunch of tests and stuff. interestingly the latter starts with the same sound effect used for the mini game menu in the various "Sport 6 in 1" Wii clones (like my Wow), but i suspect whoever coded that menu just stole it from the dev kit. :D[/quote]I know I have heard that sound effect before, like, back in the '90s somewhere. And I cannot place it for the life of me.
On the VT168 demo ROM, the "Game Demo" looks very Cube Tech-y, doesn't it?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 03:17:29 AM by codeman38 »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 07:23:21 AM »
I love how the title screen for the Boxing game is blatantly stolen from Evander Holyfield's Real Deal Boxing for the Mega Drive. Also, I think the "Push Start Button" font is stolen from Aladdin.
One thing I find funny is that there's an ASM file labelled Sonson which just seems to comprise of references to Super Mario Bros. 3.

MLX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 09:40:41 AM »
Noob time:

Is there a way to use the files in "roms" folder ? I couldn't understand how to play them

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 09:47:35 AM »
MLX
Mar 27 2011, 09:40:41 AM
Noob time:

Is there a way to use the files in "roms" folder ? I couldn't understand how to play them[/quote]Not without compiling the PPU and PRO files, I don't think. There are a few backup files of NES ROMs, but they're just a few of the games off that Korean multicart.
Edit: Come to think of it, there's 105 sets of those files, and the sizes of them correspond with the ROMs that are actually on the multicart. (for the most part, at least. The 48Kb games are 64Kb for some odd reason) So presumably, compiling the 001 files would give you Sonic 3D Blast 5.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 09:52:27 AM by Awesome Panda »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 11:30:40 AM »
Cheetahmen
Mar 27 2011, 07:23:21 AM
I love how the title screen for the Boxing game is blatantly stolen from Evander Holyfield's Real Deal Boxing for the Mega Drive. Also, I think the "Push Start Button" font is stolen from Aladdin.[/quote]Indeed it is. I remember seeing that same font ripped off in several of Cube Tech's MiWi games, too, come to think of it.
Cheetahmen
Mar 27 2011, 09:47:35 AM
Edit: Come to think of it, there's 105 sets of those files, and the sizes of them correspond with the ROMs that are actually on the multicart. (for the most part, at least. The 48Kb games are 64Kb for some odd reason) So presumably, compiling the 001 files would give you Sonic 3D Blast 5.[/quote]Using a tile editor on the PPU files, that does indeed appear to be the case. The first one's Sonic; the second one's Ninja Turtles: The Manhattan Project; the third one's Super Contra... and the 105th one is Frontline.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 12:19:06 PM by codeman38 »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 12:23:39 PM »
codeman38
Mar 27 2011, 11:30:40 AM
Cheetahmen
Mar 27 2011, 07:23:21 AM
I love how the title screen for the Boxing game is blatantly stolen from Evander Holyfield's Real Deal Boxing for the Mega Drive. Also, I think the "Push Start Button" font is stolen from Aladdin.[/quote]Indeed it is. I remember seeing that same font ripped off in several of Cube Tech's MiWi games, too, come to think of it.[/quote]In other words, the EmuVT emulator is by JungleTac and that Boxing demo is most likely by Cube Tech. There's gotta be some sort of connection between them if both companies are using the OneBus archiecture, I doubt one would've stolen from the other if resources from both were included in that documentation.

codeman38

Using a tile editor on the PPU files, that does indeed appear to be the case. The first one's Sonic; the second one's Ninja Turtles: The Manhattan Project; the third one's Salamander... and the 105th one is Frontline.[/quote]
That one's actually Super Contra (or Super C if you prefer) but I think I'm right on that. Mind you, I (by which I mean KingPepe) found a couple of blunders on the multicart maker's part. Xevious is included twice, once without the copyright (the other one is the US release) and both Nuts & Milk and Penguin (a hack of it) are included. And for whatever reason, a couple of the games don't actually work. Also, this is the only multi I've seen where Super Mario Bros. is unhacked.
Edit: Oh, and both F-1 Race and UFO Race are included.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 12:27:51 PM by Awesome Panda »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 12:28:02 PM »
Full list of games from the VT02 multicart-- amazingly, there are only two verbatim repeats and two hacks of other games on the cart:

Spoiler: click to toggle

Cheetahmen
Mar 27 2011, 12:23:39 PM
That one's actually Super Contra (or Super C if you prefer) but I think I'm right on that.[/quote]Yeah, I realized my mistake and edited it shortly after posting the wrong game ID, heh. My eyes aren't working very well today. :)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 12:29:29 PM by codeman38 »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 12:37:31 PM »
codeman38
Mar 27 2011, 12:28:02 PM
11. Tom & Jerry (with weird "Apichai" hack of Hi Tech logo)[/quote]That's the same version I have on my pirate copy.

Personally, I'm wondering how they got Final Mission on there more than anything. The other large games (the first 12, that is) are all TxROM, which are easy to run on multicarts but Final Mission is an SKROM (Mapper 1) game, meaning that (by my understanding of multicart programming) it won't work unless it's been hacked to run on TxROM. The same goes for S.C.A.T. and Action In New York (the American and European releases respectively) so I presume the multicart maker hacked the ROM themselves to get the game working. I believe that's the same reason you never see Nintendo's Tetris on multicarts, despite being the same size as the other versions.

Edit: There was a pirate TLROM conversion, but that one removes the copyright, whereas the multicart version doesn't.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 12:39:21 PM by Awesome Panda »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 12:44:12 PM »
Cheetahmen
In other words, the EmuVT emulator is by JungleTac and that Boxing demo is most likely by Cube Tech. There's gotta be some sort of connection between them if both companies are using the OneBus archiecture, I doubt one would've stolen from the other if resources from both were included in that documentation.[/quote]i think Wise Wang is the connection - he seems to have worked for Jungletac (back when it was DJ-Jungle), then Biikoo, then Cube Tech. maybe some other staff made the same move.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 01:25:28 PM »
taizou
Mar 27 2011, 12:44:12 PM
Cheetahmen
In other words, the EmuVT emulator is by JungleTac and that Boxing demo is most likely by Cube Tech. There's gotta be some sort of connection between them if both companies are using the OneBus archiecture, I doubt one would've stolen from the other if resources from both were included in that documentation.[/quote]i think Wise Wang is the connection - he seems to have worked for Jungletac (back when it was DJ-Jungle), then Biikoo, then Cube Tech. maybe some other staff made the same move.[/quote]That sounds about right, but if it were the case then where have JungleTac got their games from for the past couple of years?

Speaking of them, the 32M-99x multicarts seem to use a similar setup to that Korean multicart, except with 6 fewer games listed and 4 large games as opposed to 12.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 01:36:02 PM »
Cheetahmen
Mar 27 2011, 01:25:28 PM
That sounds about right, but if it were the case then where have JungleTac got their games from for the past couple of years?[/quote]Nice Code, of course! :D

No, seriously-- Nice Code's site lists several games that are very clearly copyrighted to JungleTac.

Wouldn't be surprised if there were some old Waixing people who came over to JungleTac as well, especially given how many of their games use the Super Contra sound engine.
Oh, just thought of something else. Remember how there was that one "Penrlty Kick" game on the Waixing Vii that used Hummer Team sound effects? Between that and Pink Jelly, maybe there really were ex-Hummer Team folks developing for the VT03.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 01:44:06 PM by codeman38 »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 01:49:16 PM »
codeman38
Mar 27 2011, 01:36:02 PM
Oh, just thought of something else. Remember how there was that one "Penrlty Kick" game on the Waixing Vii that used Hummer Team sound effects? Between that and Pink Jelly, maybe there really were ex-Hummer Team folks developing for the VT03.[/quote]If there were ex-Hummer Team developers making games for the VT03, then why (to my knowledge) have they only made 2 games? I'm guessing they probably converted some of their other small games (as in Panda Adventure, Space Shuttle Exploration and such) to VT03 and we just haven't seen them yet. Mind you, if that was the case then I'd like to see graphical revamps of Street Fighter IV and Somari as well. :D

KingPepe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 04:50:17 PM »
Well, we do have that one Sonic 3D Blast 5 on that Korean multicart although that could've been taken off the internet for all we know.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 04:50:35 PM by KingPepe »