Author Topic: Concept: A website dedicated to showing all pirate variations of games  (Read 3154 times)

Barver

• View Profile
I've had this on my mind, and I know taizou was considering making a gallery on his website before. Does anyone think a website that shows all types of pirate variants of games would be interesting? I'm mainly talking about pirates of official games. It would be an interesting concept site to see with how many different labels exist out there. Then again, there's so many games that exist, the sheer amount of games to have to list in the database would be overwhelming, especially for all systems. I just know I like seeing all the fancy and weird label variants many games have, so one huge site would be cool.

I dunno if something like this could be done on free web hosting or not, mainly wondering what people think. I myself save pics of interesting pirates I see every so often, so I know I'd probably have an endless source of pics to provide.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Concept: A website dedicated to showing all pirate variations of games
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 09:07:51 AM »
Actually does sound like a pretty cool idea-- especially given how just plain dadaist some of the labels are.

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 09:21:28 AM »
I guess a wiki can be made for something like this, solves the problem of hosting I suppose. I'll have to see if there's any other wiki's like this to get an idea of how they would look though since I can't imagine one with the same typical layout all wikis have, would sort of feel weird for browsing pics, I dunno.

I feel dumb for not even knowing what dadaist is, btw =p

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 10:28:57 AM »
yeah, I did have something like this planned, havent touched it in a while (it doesnt even work at the moment, since i moved hosts and discovered my new one doesnt have ImageMagick installed, which i was using to generate thumbnails) .. but maybe I could fix it up a bit and open it to contributions from other people, hopefully i wouldnt run out of space :D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 10:30:31 AM by taizou »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 10:48:35 AM »
Barver
Mar 9 2011, 09:21:28 AM
I feel dumb for not even knowing what dadaist is, btw =p
[/quote]Dada, like the absurdist art movement. The guys who painted a mustache on the Mona Lisa and presented a urinal as a sculpture.

It's the only explanation for identifying Luke Skywalker as James Bond Junior, or thinking Micro Machines involves boats and is spelled with a 'J', or confusing Ottifants for Tale Spin two times. (All of those are from cah4e3's cart database, incidentally.)

Edit: Oh, yes, another example of pure dada in pirate game art: Super Wonderful Mario. Which is a bootleg of the PAL release of Super Mario 2, naturally. I feel sorry for all the kids who expected Snow White and Captain Crunch.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 10:57:30 AM by codeman38 »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 12:17:15 PM »
codeman38
Mar 9 2011, 10:48:35 AM
Edit: Oh, yes, another example of pure dada in pirate game art: Super Wonderful Mario. Which is a bootleg of the PAL release of Super Mario 2, naturally. I feel sorry for all the kids who expected Snow White and Captain Crunch.[/quote]I think you'd have to be pretty dumb to expect a cereal mascot in a Mario game. Then again, Kaettakita Mario Bros. advertises porridge or something, so maybe that's where these piraters got the idea from. Actually, probably not. :P

Also, I wonder if dadaism is where Inventor got the name for Dada, considering that the game seems to involve an anthropomorphic pig trying to save one of the penguins from Binary Land from Bluto dressed up in a chicken suit who throws eggs. Doesn't explain how they came up with the names of a lot of their other hacks though.

codeman38

or thinking Micro Machines involves boats and is spelled with a 'J'[/quote]
Micro Machines does actually have boats in it, albeit tiny ones. (Incidentally, the art is stolen from Bimini Run for the Mega Drive, which they make painfully obvious) Even so, the misspellings are typical NT unprofessionalism. Personally, I'd like to see how anyone could be fooled into thinking that the main character of Kick Master is The Mask, Earthworm Jim 2 is sponsored by the Olympics or that Bruce Lee has been reincarnated as Axel from Streets of Rage.

SpaceNinja

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 07:28:13 AM »
Do you plan to include SNT stuff with the same games having TWO versions?

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 08:24:56 AM »
As long as there's some sort of artificial difference between versions ;)

SpaceNinja

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 02:59:05 PM »
Oh, I got you.
If it actually gets done, I will let you use the endings I upload.