Author Topic: Bao Xiao San Guo  (Read 6386 times)

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Bao Xiao San Guo
« on: March 04, 2011, 10:51:28 AM »
Just discovered this unusual strategy game for Mega Drive on a Chinese site whilst trying to find a Waixing Famicom game of the same name:

Bao Xiao San Guo 爆笑三国
(To download it, click the first link under "下载地址" on that page.)

As the title suggests, it's a Three Kingdoms strategy game... but those first two characters in the title mean "comedy". And indeed, it includes such wonderfully anachronistic weapons as M1A1 tanks.

What's interesting is that this seems to be by a completely different company from pretty much all the other Mega Drive unlicensed games connected to Gamtec. Among other things, the sound driver is completely different from anything Gamtec's ever used. Yet I can't find any sort of credit identifying who did make this.

My suspicion is on C&E; the sound driver sounds very much like the one in Beggar Prince, right down to that same hand-clap sample used in the music.

As an aside, the Waixing Famicom game is out there in GoodNES and thus on most emu sites - it's titled "Bao Xiao Tien Guo", which rather puzzles me since the third character in the title is clearly 三, not 天. GoodNES is like that...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 10:54:36 AM by codeman38 »

PlayerSecelt

• View Profile
Bao Xiao San Guo
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 11:58:02 AM »
Sorry, but a mirror should be great.

Doomkid

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.ws/doomkid/
Bao Xiao San Guo
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 09:53:12 PM »
Wow, glad this was bumped or I never would have seen it.... M1A1 Tanks, really? LOL.
Who is C&E, anyway? Ive never heard of this pirate company.. Searched for a rom of "beggar prince" but I couldnt find one :(

Barver

• View Profile
Bao Xiao San Guo
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 10:12:16 PM »
C&E aren't really pirates in the traditional sense(stealing other companies creations and making their own game etc..), they're more on par with the likes of Color Dreams or Camerica on the NES, as in they made original games without a license.

There's no dump of the English Beggar Prince ROM yet, who knows if there ever will be. But you can check out the Chinese version by searching for "xin qi gai wang zi rom" or something like that.

Doomkid

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.ws/doomkid/
Bao Xiao San Guo
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 11:00:54 PM »
Barver
Apr 24 2011, 10:12:16 PM
C&E aren't really pirates in the traditional sense(stealing other companies creations and making their own game etc..), they're more on par with the likes of Color Dreams or Camerica on the NES, as in they made original games without a license.

There's no dump of the English Beggar Prince ROM yet, who knows if there ever will be. But you can check out the Chinese version by searching for "xin qi gai wang zi rom" or something like that.[/quote]Thanks!

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Bao Xiao San Guo
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 12:21:58 AM »
Here's a mirror of Bao Xiao San Guo, incidentally:
http://ifile.it/ue0tp89

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
Bao Xiao San Guo
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 06:06:19 AM »
Barver
Apr 24 2011, 10:12:16 PM
C&E aren't really pirates in the traditional sense(stealing other companies creations and making their own game etc..), they're more on par with the likes of Color Dreams or Camerica on the NES, as in they made original games without a license.[/quote]At the risk of going off-topic, I think by Camerica you meant Codemasters; the former merely published their games.

PlayerSecelt

• View Profile
Bao Xiao San Guo
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 08:00:52 AM »
Well, Beggar Prince is made that the emulators can't play it (or they can, but not very good), read it from Sega Retro.

andlabs

• View Profile
Bao Xiao San Guo
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 01:48:46 AM »
Hi, let's resurrect few-month-old topics =P

Barver told me that this game was indeed by C&E. I checked (having found it before finding this thread; see below): it does indeed use C&E's sound driver... and that's about the only thing it has in common with other C&E games. It sounds like whoever wrote this game wrote it in assembly language while all the other MD games were written by someone else presumably in C (though I'm not entirely sure on that)... To me, it also feels somewhat unpolished in comparison to the other ones.

Now assuming Barver is right, these (since I found two others in nongoodgen, "funny of three kingdoms" and "game to chinese 2") are not dumps of the original, since they take pains to make sure they're always credited =P Neither are our Xin Qi Gai Wang Zi dumps...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 01:50:18 AM by andlabs »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
Bao Xiao San Guo
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 09:27:04 AM »
I'm sure I recall Death Adder of Super Fighter Team saying somewhere that the copyright in Xin Qi Gai Wang Zi was removed by C&E at the request of the publisher, so that really *is* the original version. I'll drop him an email about this game, he might know something about it..
Got a reply:
Quote:

This game is most certainly -not- a product of C&E. Due in large part to the grey area status (and lack of enforcement) of copyright in Taiwan, it's very common in their video game market for resources to be "borrowed" from many different sources, without permission. C&E's sound driver was purloined for use in this particular game, and that's where the similarities end.

As neither myself nor our company has any interest in this game, I've not done any research into its origins.[/quote]
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 11:29:01 PM by taizou »

RVVD4029

• Banned
    • View Profile
Bao Xiao San Guo
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 09:09:57 PM »
Codeman38 can you mirror the rom again please?