Author Topic: Help finding a working version of King of Fighters '99...  (Read 2640 times)

Azathoth

• View Profile
Help finding a working version of King of Fighters '99...
« on: March 04, 2011, 01:02:31 AM »
So apparently I've taken on this quest to find a working version (cart or otherwise) of this game.

This was a rather obscure release with a low production run. The game has been dumped, but as far as I can tell the copy protection has not been removed on it. Because of that it only works in a few choice emulators (HazeMD, Picodrive, etc). The available dump will not work on any other emulators or actual hardware due to this.

I've been unable to locate anyone having an actual cart for sale. The closest thing I've found to a cracked version is referenced in this Chinese forum which has both a link to the crack and to the ROM, but without being a registered user I can't download the crack.

Does anyone know anything else about this release?

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 09:43:02 AM »
Hm. The version I found a while back worked in Gens32 all the Gens forks I tried, but not Kega-- not sure if this would be sufficient for you or not...

Edit: Actually, it probably is the same version you've got; it seems to be the only one I've seen floating around, with the file name "g_kof99". Wish I knew how to get rid of the copy protection to make it runnable on real hardware, but at least it runs in one mainstream emulator, anyway.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 09:55:34 AM by codeman38 »

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 12:18:26 PM »
The link I posted above supposedly has a working crack to overcome the simple protectio (some type of checksum or memory bank check) and will make it work on everything if Babelfish's horrible translation is to be believed.

I really like this game, much moreso that Top Fighter or KoF2k on SNES, and would love to have a version that works on my flash carts or even make a damn repro if I had too.

Is there anyone here fluent enough to register on that forum and check it out? I'd almost pay just for that information.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 04:13:43 PM by Azathoth »