Author Topic: Hummer Team is a lot older than what we think  (Read 8023 times)

MLX

• View Profile
Hummer Team is a lot older than what we think
« on: February 28, 2011, 06:42:37 PM »
Few minutes ago, I was doing the monthly search with Jing Ke Xin Zhuan (荊軻新傳) on google and other sites to find some more infos on it. I landed on a good pic of the box with something quite important to point out:

See that little thing on bottom right ? Wait, doesn't that read HUMMER TEAM ?

So the whole thing about Gouder Co. and Supertone may be names of the publishers, not the developers. And the name Hummer Team was used since 1992 (and probably while they were still with Computer & Entertainment). Result: BGW need a complete edit of Someri and Hummer Team page. I guess before five people start to do that whole thing we should talk about this a bit more since I think it's strange how they didn't used the name from 1992 till 1995.

Also the back:

If anyone could translate the text on bottom left...

KingPepe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 06:47:29 PM »
That is just...wow. It's weird though that they haven't used Hummer Team in a while until JY.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 07:04:07 PM »
:| Well at least we know that Someri Team, Yoko Soft and such were merely a front for Hummer.

Edit: If Hummer Team was on the box, then wouldn't Supertone be the publishers? From what I understand, electronic companies are typically involved with producing PCBs as opposed to video games.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 07:05:59 PM by Awesome Panda »

MLX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 07:10:29 PM »
Yep, same as Ge De Industry Co.
Also I think the chinese letters on top of Supertone Electronic Co., ltd. is the real chinese name of the company, this should help searching for trademarks.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 07:29:11 PM »
In that case, might be helpful to search for a box of Rex's Samurai Spirits pirate to see if they published that.

BTW, I'm probably missing something but wouldn't this essentially make Someri Team an alias? Should probably combine the Someri/Hummer pages on BGW if you ask me.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 07:55:42 PM »
Supertone's Chinese name is 巨聲電子有限公司, couldnt identify anything else though, and not much useful info shows up searching for it. There is/was a Shanghai based company called 上海巨声电子有限公司 which apparently was a joint venture with a Taiwan company, so maybe they were connected .. but either way I can't find anything game related for either of them. Searching for "Supertone Electronic Co., Ltd" in English seems to reveal they were a motherboard manufacturer at some point, judging from this page .. so maybe they were just a general electronics company and Jing Ke Xin Zhuan was their only venture into the games industry?

& i wonder if it came with a manual, maybe it'd have some credits..

MLX

I guess before five people start to do that whole thing we should talk about this a bit more since I think it's strange how they didn't used the name from 1992 till 1995.[/quote]
well here's my thought - They split from C&E and formed Hummer Team in '92 (which would possibly explain why Feng Shen Bang was delayed from '92 to '95 - C&E had lost its main Famicom development team and had to find someone else to finish it) but never used the name for Yoko published games (92-93) because Yoko was egotistical and liked to plaster its own name all over everything. then they used the Someri Team name for a couple of games, either just to imitate Sonic Team or because they wanted to distance themselves from their pirate work. even after '95 they didn't use the name openly - it was hidden in Aladdin, and only a background sign in Tekken (which people who didn't know otherwise would probably have assumed was a reference to the car). it wasnt until '97 that they actually explicitly credited themselves as Hummer Team again.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 08:04:56 PM »
Apparently Supertone Electronic Co. was a maker of motherboards, assuming it's the same Supertone Electronic Co. that made this.

I was hoping I could find their Chinese name by searching for their English one, but no luck. Far too blurry for me to make out what the components of the second character are!

Edit: And of course, taizou beat me to it, and got the Chinese name while he was at it.

Edit again: For once, the Chinese name actually makes sense given the English one. 巨=giant, 聲=sound. Giant sound = super tone.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 08:07:35 PM by codeman38 »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 08:09:04 PM »
taizou
Feb 28 2011, 07:55:42 PM
then they used the Someri Team name for a couple of games, either just to imitate Sonic Team or because they wanted to distance themselves from their pirate work.[/quote]Given what pirate companies are like, I would assume that the name was used an attempt to make Somari itself look more authentic, although why they used it again in AV Bishoujo Senshi Girl Fighting I don't know. I'm guessing both of those reasons you mentioned apply here.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 08:15:18 PM »
codeman38
Feb 28 2011, 08:04:56 PM
I was hoping I could find their Chinese name by searching for their English one, but no luck. Far too blurry for me to make out what the components of the second character are![/quote]yeah, I only got the second character from the line above it - it says something like "A Supertone Masterpiece * (something else)" - can't work out what the "something else" is.
the line under that seems to be an address, probably Supertone's, but then the bottom line is possibly Hummer Team's Chinese name? the first two characters, 悍馬, seem to be the same as those used in the chinese name of "The Hummer" on the 15 in 1. the next one looks like 小, can't tell what the last one is
i think it might be "悍馬小組" - i'm still not sure on the last one. but it literally means "Hummer group" so it makes sense. unfortunately "悍馬" is also the name used for the car in Chinese so all Google is turning up is groups of of Hummer fans.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 08:21:48 PM by taizou »

KingPepe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 08:28:06 PM »
Cheetahmen
Feb 28 2011, 08:09:04 PM
taizou
Feb 28 2011, 07:55:42 PM
then they used the Someri Team name for a couple of games, either just to imitate Sonic Team or because they wanted to distance themselves from their pirate work.[/quote]Given what pirate companies are like, I would assume that the name was used an attempt to make Somari itself look more authentic, although why they used it again in AV Bishoujo Senshi Girl Fighting I don't know. I'm guessing both of those reasons you mentioned apply here.[/quote]Well if Somari became a success (or at least, that's apparently what happened), they probably slapped it on AVBGF to make them think "it's the same creator, OMG MUST BUY" or something.

MLX

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 04:29:44 AM »
@Taizou: In late 1993 Cony replaced Hummer Team that had left Yoko. But why Cony would use their name instead of Yoko (and later used Yoko only once for MK2). Also about Aladdin: It seems the Hummer was designed to go on next to 1995. No idea why they ended up not using it. Also that Gouder Co. unless they wanted to credit Ge De Industry Co., I have no idea why they used that one on SF4. Also if we say that Av Jiu Ji Ma Jiang 2 was made in 1994, then why they didn't use Someri Team for it like AVBGF, same for GarouSpecial.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 02:30:39 PM »
Cony was just another name for Yoko IMO, not the name of the development team that replaced Hummer - "Yokosoft" & "Conysoft" trademarks are registered to the same HK company. the replacement  team was probably never credited by name.

the credit to Gouder in SF4 probably is Ge De - my guess would be that Ge De asked to be credited in SF4 because its (mostly) original, but they wanted to keep their name off the more blatantly pirate stuff.

Dunno about AV Jiu Ji Ma Jiang/Garou though. where did you get 1994 for AV? and remember they didnt use the Someri Team name for any game apart from Somari and AV Girl Fighting (and even there its only on the cart, not in-game) - those two are the exception rather than the rule. its not in Kart Fighter or MK2 either. mostly they stayed anonymous.

MLX

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 03:12:48 PM »
I need a picture of AV Jiu's board to know if it's 1994. I said 1994 because it reuse stuff from SF4 (and JKXZ) and it has the same © sign as AVBGF (with the little error too). I learned how to play that one a bit but I'm still having trouble to get Mahjong (I can't figure out wath I'm supposed to do).

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 03:30:02 PM »
MLX
Mar 1 2011, 03:12:48 PM
I need a picture of AV Jiu's board to know if it's 1994. I said 1994 because it reuse stuff from SF4 (and JKXZ) and it has the same © sign as AVBGF (with the little error too). I learned how to play that one a bit but I'm still having trouble to get Mahjong (I can't figure out wath I'm supposed to do).[/quote]I mostly know how to play it, but there's no point when you have cheat codes. Well actually, there's no real point either way but still.

MLX

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 05:01:19 PM »
I understand about 80% of thge game, the only thing I cannot figure out is when you have enough piece of a family (ex: 3 dots of 3), how do you put it on the left ?