Author Topic: Bootleg games you like?  (Read 2577 times)

Brn89

• View Profile
Bootleg games you like?
« on: December 05, 2017, 04:47:08 AM »
Okay... we all know that bootleg games are weird shit and all but there are some good ones, if any of you don't believe me. You can either like them if they're special to you in some way or, as a guilty pleasure. To start, I quite liked Kart Fighter for it being Super Mario Kart done as a fighting game even though it does suffer stiff controls and weird music playing going around. Anything from obscure Chinese developer Shenzhen Nanjing can qualify also :)

What's yours, and why?
>>mindsConnected<<
The next-generation tech forum.

Moneyspider_Todd

• View Profile
Re: Bootleg games you like?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 09:03:29 PM »
sorry to resurrect this, but i think this topic deserves to live xd

Leaving aside romhacks, my favorite bootleg game would be between x-men vs street fighter on SNES and Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha (they're no perfect, but they are pretty impressive and cool), and Street Fighter Zero 2 '97 (which would be perfect if it don't had all those repeated characters). Also, Donkey Kong '97 on sega genesis had me a lot of fun. And specially, Top Fighter 2000 (which looks and play pretty good)

Greetings

jo19sh92

• I ♥ Cats
    • View Profile
    • Procatinator
Re: Bootleg games you like?
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 12:28:37 AM »
Okay... we all know that bootleg games are weird shit and all but there are some good ones, if any of you don't believe me. You can either like them if they're special to you in some way or, as a guilty pleasure. To start, I quite liked Kart Fighter for it being Super Mario Kart done as a fighting game even though it does suffer stiff controls and weird music playing going around. Anything from obscure Chinese developer Shenzhen Nanjing can qualify also :)

What's yours, and why?

All the Tekken fighting bootlegs. Look, I get it... they play like absolute dog crap, but let's be honest here, I think we can all appreciate that for what they are, they look quite beautiful. I mean, when I played them, I was like "yep, if I had never known the title, I would have easily knew this was Tekken without even guessing". The thing is, for a lot of people, they seem to be unable to appreciate the work (even if all of it is really just rips and edits) that go into making a bootleg. Like sure, most of them are generally just renames, but even a rename still needs work done, and I can appreciate the efforts, even if they're minimal at best.

But at the same time, games like this... if fixed by someone willing to fix them, could actually be not only good, in terms of actual gameplay, but good in the sense that you'd be like "ya know, if I didn't know any better, I would think this was real". There are a lot of interesting titles, that if under the right hand and with a little polishing on them, could pass off as a real game and not a bootleg.
Cats are the only thing I care about more than myself.