Author Topic: Work in Progress: new VT168 emulator  (Read 7402 times)

davidstech

• View Profile
    • http://ds0.me
Work in Progress: new VT168 emulator
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2017, 05:23:14 PM »
No it's not MAME based at the moment. Would be a possibility for the future though
Some good news. Most of the critical PPU bugs have been fixed, and I've made an initial attempt at implementing the MiWi 2 input (it works but it's quite hacky and the button order isn't correct ATM).

It does now seem to run all of the games I tried without crashing and with some degree of graphics visible, most of the games do still have some PPU issues - mostly due to a bad scrolling implementation.

Hopefully it won't be too long to fix these remaining issues.
Now approximately 90% of the graphical issues are solved. The only games with major issues are the "3D" racing games, I suspect it's due to whatever they use for perspective. Still a bit of work before it's ready to be released, in particular some kind of initial UI and a Windows build.
Public release of version 0.10 posted at the top.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 03:32:40 PM by davidstech »

kelvin donna

• Company Name: Satervest
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2017, 03:43:00 PM »
davidstech
Dec 18 2017, 10:57:12 AM
I don't think there's ever going to be one for the GBA, buy a GPD Win[/quote]ok, if it doesn,t work on gba, can the vt168 emulation maybe work on a nokia n gage, or a nintendo ds  :|
i hate all media of the world, so i just moved to eurasia.

davidstech

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2017, 04:04:27 PM »
From a technical point of view it might work, anything that can emulate a SNES could emulate a VT168, the problem is it would be an awful amount of work which I don't think anyone is going to do given the small number of people interested in such a thing. At the moment I haven't spent any time optimising it so it only just manages 50-60fps on a high-end desktop.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 04:04:41 PM by davidstech »

Y2K05

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2017, 04:08:10 PM »
Do you think emulation on a handheld like Android or Nintendo 3DS is more likely? Just wondering. It would be cool if it were on 3DS or Android since people still use those handhelds. Not just VTxxx but the VT03 and VT09 stuff too. I've been enjoying VT02 games on VirtuaNES on 3DS, and NESemu on my GPD XD.

Just wondering is all.

kelvin donna

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2017, 04:09:22 PM »
davidstech
Dec 20 2017, 04:04:27 PM
From a technical point of view it might work, anything that can emulate a SNES could emulate a VT168, the problem is it would be an awful amount of work which I don't think anyone is going to do given the small number of people interested in such a thing. At the moment I haven't spent any time optimising it so it only just manages 50-60fps on a high-end desktop.[/quote]oh come on, do the work, you can do it,
I'll keep my fingers for you and your work crossed

davidstech

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2017, 04:11:14 PM »
Y2K05
Dec 20 2017, 04:08:10 PM
Do you think emulation on a handheld like Android or Nintendo 3DS is more likely? Just wondering. It would be cool if it were on 3DS or Android since people still use those handhelds. Not just VTxxx but the VT03 and VT09 stuff too. I've been enjoying VT02 games on VirtuaNES on 3DS, and NESemu on my GPD XD.

Just wondering is all.[/quote]Android is the most likely, if I add this to MAME or make it into a retroarch core. Not sure about the VT03 or VT09 stuff, that would be best done by modifying an existing NES emulator for Android.

davidstech

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2017, 05:24:11 PM »
It turns out the reason that the racing games had graphical problems is that they were changing the PPU setup and tile map mid frame, which I hadn't anticipated in my code as I underestimated Waixing...

A new binary release with this fixed will come soon, just need to sort out a couple of other issues too.

Screenshots of some of the games are on the VTxxx page on BGW.

kelvin donna

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2018, 03:27:40 PM »
davidstech
Dec 18 2017, 10:57:12 AM
I don't think there's ever going to be one for the GBA, buy a GPD Win[/quote]no vt goodnes on GBA but only on GPD win?

no, there has to be a possibility to emulate it on the PAP k3 plus