Author Topic: Game Amy Carts  (Read 3557 times)

Ankos

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Game Amy Carts
« on: September 22, 2017, 02:43:49 PM »
A while back I had acquired a copy of Monster GO GO GO, and noticed that in the place where the words "Nintendo GAME BOY" are embossed into the plastic there were the words "GAME AMY" with amy being in a smaller font. Coincidentally I found a listing on Carousell Singapore of King of Fighters 97 with this same embossing. I found this especially interesting since both games have had connections drawn to Vast Fame (especially King of Fighters 97), with King of Fighters 97 using the same engine as the Vast Fame fighting games, and Monster GO GO GO sometimes coming in a cartridge similar to that of earlier Vast Fame titles and having a title screen that looks like it was made with PC Paint. I was wondering if anyone here knew where this cart type comes from, and what games had releases with it?

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
Game Amy Carts
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 08:46:00 PM »
hmm I've seen a couple others, a Super Robot Wars game translated to Chinese (which I own) and Zook Hero Z (Chinese/Japanese version) .. so it is probably reasonable to assume these releases come from some company that was publishing for Vast Fame.

But the same versions show up in different cart shells (e.g. I have that same KOF 97 in a generic 'GAME' shell) so maybe "Game Amy" was something like a distributor for whoever that publisher was.

Ankos

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Game Amy Carts
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 09:11:30 PM »
Cool, did any of them come with stickers covering their screws?

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Game Amy Carts
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 10:34:43 AM »
Not sure about Zook, I only borrowed that and it was years ago. Super Robot Wars has a silver "NC" sticker, but I think that was placed by the seller, since most of the games I got from them had the same one (despite being from different publishers etc).
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 10:35:36 AM by taizou »

Ankos

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Game Amy Carts
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 12:36:28 PM »
Oh, I figured that those may have come from the people making the carts. The warranty sticker on my cart has the letters AM on it, as well as some sort of checklist that is represented with numbers.

Attachments:

fcgamer

• View Profile
Game Amy Carts
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 06:10:49 AM »
ElkFish
Sep 24 2017, 12:36:28 PM
Oh, I figured that those may have come from the people making the carts. The warranty sticker on my cart has the letters AM on it, as well as some sort of checklist that is represented with numbers.[/quote]Those stickers are put on by the retailers, to mark the purchase and warranty.  That's why they placed them over the screws, to prevent folks from opening the carts.  These typs of things are still placed today on products, by retailers, for the same reasons.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Game Amy Carts
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 11:58:25 AM »
There are some that come from the manufacturer, if the company actually manufactured and distributed its own carts, more likely in their home region. I've seen SKOB, Sintax, Gowin and Waixing carts with either the company's logo or initials on the sticker.

But yeah if it's a more generic cart or an exported one, or one that's been resold a few times, the likelihood is greater that the sticker came from the retailer or some distributor somewhere along the chain.

"A Chen" stickers are super common for example, they show up on GB/C/A carts found all over the world - I assume they must have been a big distributor at one point.

davidstech

• View Profile
    • http://ds0.me
Game Amy Carts
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 06:47:53 AM »
As something of an aside, it seems several new Gameboy multicarts I bought from Taobao are actually using Everdrive moulds, possibly dodgy night shifts at the plastics firm...

Attachments:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 06:48:08 AM by davidstech »