Author Topic: Rockman and Crystal gameplay videos  (Read 2741 times)

Barver

• View Profile
Rockman and Crystal gameplay videos
« on: February 10, 2011, 07:27:19 AM »
Someone who owns the game put up videos of most stages of the game. Interesting to finally see!

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=9D0D2F9C7C49E032

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 09:46:14 AM »
Ooh, awesome find. I remember Boco being one of the first people to try to dump the game, and that worked as well as taizou's attempt at Digimon Ruby. (That is how I found the VFame logo hidden in it, though!)

Great to see actual video footage of it up now; typically glitchy, but still so much better than pretty much every other Taiwanese bootleg out there.

Edit: And I see he's even posted the link in the LostLevels thread about the game. I knew I should've subscribed. ^_~
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 09:50:13 AM by codeman38 »

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 09:16:53 AM »
That thread is where I got the link =p Nice to see the person still cares about the game, too bad it just can't be dumped yet. I really wonder what it's gonna take to actually dump it, is there even any new equipment coming out that can crack more games that have this protection or whatever?

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 10:13:56 AM »
From what I can gather, something in VFame's cartridges-- dunno if it's software or hardware-- convinces the dumper that the first segment of ROM is replicated multiple times. It's not a mapper issue; the GBA uses a 32-bit processor, so the entire thing is viewed as one bank of memory.

There's got to be some way to dump it, I'm sure, but it'd require someone with much better knowledge of GBA hardware to figure out why it's failing as it is.
Oh, wow, I just noticed something utterly made of fail in the game-- and I only noticed it because I'd looked at the page of the manual with the bosses (see the third manual spread here).

The two rows of bosses on the selection screen? Are actually switched with one another. So the upper-left portrait actually belongs to the lower-left level, the upper-right one belongs to the lower-right level, etc.

Edit: Nope, looking closer, the boss portraits are in fact the correct ones for the levels (but the sprites look so different that it's an understandable mistake!). The manual, however, does get the two rows backwards.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 02:26:53 PM by codeman38 »

Brn89

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 02:51:33 PM »
Wow... interesting. I've been wondering when there'll ever be a ROM of that game available when I first came across it six years ago. I've watched some of the videos of it and now I'm going to inform the RXComm guys about it ;)
>>mindsConnected<<
The next-generation tech forum.