Author Topic: Undumped/unavailable known variations of unlicensed games  (Read 16187 times)

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
Undumped/unavailable known variations of unlicensed games
« on: February 17, 2017, 12:16:32 PM »
Based on the discussion in this thread, here is a short list that I have put together of variations of unlicensed games that are known to exist but are either undumped, or are dumped but the dumps are private or otherwise unavailable. Feel free to correct me or add to the list.

Go! Benny
Available dumps:
  • Asder version on Asder 20-in-1 multicart.
  • NTDEC version as "Corre Benny (Spain) (Gluk Video) (Unl)" in NoIntro.
  • Original Mega Soft version.
Missing dumps:
  • Caltron version. May or may not actually exist, but the NTDEC version has "Caltron Ind. Inc." tile pattern data. Probably included on the undumped Caltron 9-in-1 multicart.

Bookyman
Available dumps:
  • Original Huang Shinwei version as "Brush Roller" with standard Huang Shinwei music.
  • Caltron version on Caltron 6-in-1 multicart with new music.
  • Asder version on Asder 20-in-1 multicart with standard Huang Shinwei music.
  • NTDEC version as "Booky Man (Spain) (Gluk Video) (Unl)" in NoIntro with standard Huang Shinwei music.
Missing dumps:
  • Mega Soft version, depicted on the back of the Gluk Video "Booky Man " cardboard box (Gluk Video's actual cartridge shows "NTDEC" instead of "Mega Soft"):
Spoiler: click to toggle

Destroyer
Available dumps:
  • NTDEC version as "Destructor, El (Spain) (Gluk Video) (Unl)" in NoIntro.
Missing dumps:
Spoiler: click to toggle

Benico
Available dumps:
  • Asder version on Asder 20-in-1 multicart. Has graphical issues in attract mode.
Missing dumps:
  • Original Caltron version. May or may not actually exist, but the Asder version clearly has "Caltron Ind. Inc." tile pattern data.

JP Ronny
Available dumps:
  • Asder version on Asder 20-in-1 multicart.
Missing dumps:
  • Original Caltron version. May or may not actually exist, but the Asder version has what could be interpreted as "Caltron Ind. Inc." tile pattern data.
  • NTDEC version.

Magic Block
Available dumps:
  • Original Mega Soft version
  • Late NTDEC version as "Bloque Magico, El (Spain) (Gluk Video) (Unl)" in NoIntro. Has different music than the Mega Soft version.
Missing dumps:
  • Early NTDEC version with the Mega Soft version's music. May nor may not have been ever released, but the Mega Soft version still has the NTDEC graphic patterns in its data.
  • Caltron version. The NTDEC version clearly has "Caltron Ind. Inc." tile pattern data. Probably included on the undumped Caltron 9-in-1 multicart.

Menace Beach
Available dumps:
  • Color Dreams version
  • Wisdom Tree version ("Sunday Funday")
  • Hacker International version ("Miss Peach World")
Missing dumps:
Enjoyable Horse Racing
Available dumps:
  • Super Mega version (1991賭馬Racing, 1991 Dǔmǎ Racing)
Missing dumps:
  • TXC/Micro Genius version ("Horses Racing", MGC-009)
    Source: http://cah4e3.shedevr.org.ru/cartsbase.php (The page lists this as "dumped", but I think that refers to the Super Mega version. Since "Venice Beach Volley" is available in separate Super Mega and TXC versions, I suppose the same must be true for Horses Racing as well.)

Hit Marmot
Available dumps:
  • Mega Soft version
Missing dumps:
  • NTDEC version. May nor may not have been ever released, but the Mega Soft version still has the NTDEC graphic patterns (as previously mentioned here).

Fighting Hero
Available dumps:
  • Mega Soft version
Missing dumps:
  • NTDEC version. May nor may not have been ever released, but the Mega Soft version still has the NTDEC graphic patterns for the title screen (in an otherwise unused CHR bank at NES ROM offset 0x39010, visible with a tile editor.) and a 1990 rather than 1991 copyright date.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 03:21:36 AM by NewRisingSun2 »

MLX

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 06:24:48 AM »
Tu Ji (Raid) is dumped. Kaz wrote the dump script so I could dump my cart. Mapper 79.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/9z50q0nkzk38c62/Tu_Ji_%28TW%29_%28Joy_Van%29.nes
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 12:14:37 PM by MLX »

kazblox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 12:58:41 AM »
Oh yeah, and it's been a while since it happened, but the NES file for Adan y Eva just surfaced recently on No-Intro. So that's another one off the list as well.

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 09:12:11 AM »
Thanks everyone. I can now die happy.

Rocman X

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 11:23:57 PM »
To add to your list, there are some versions (Europe or Australia releases) of unlicensed games that don't seem to be dumped at all. I tried looking for all of these, and I could find NONE of them. My source for some of these versions is from this page:
http://forums.no-intro.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1008

At the end is a(n incomplete) list of NES games confirmed to be released in Europe and/or Australia, and there are some games I have never been able to find in their Europe ROM form, so they probably are undumped. Also, in the first section, there's a list of (mostly licensed) versions of games (such as Prince of Persia (Spain)) that were undumped the time it was written in 2005. However, almost all of those games have long since been dumped (my GoodNES set has most of them), with at least one exception I know of (or at least it seems to be).

Here it is:
 - Arctic Adventure: Penguin and Seal (Australia) (Unl)
 - Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy, The (Europe) (En,Fr,De) (Unl) - On this page: https://tcrf.net/The_Fantastic_Adventures_of_Dizzy, it states that there are some slight differences between this standalone cart version and the Aladdin version. It also states a palette change with a specific value of black that would be nearly impossible to notice on a real PAL NES, indicating that a ROM MIGHT exist of this version of the game, although it's possibly private.
 - F15 City War (Europe) (Unl)? - F-15 City War is on the list of confirmed games, but I can only find an AVE USA release of the game (aside from the game being included in Maxi-15 Pack).
 - Firehawk (Europe) (Unl) - Possibly same as USA version? A user named MrNorbert1994 ripped a PAL NSF of the game (although the pitch sounds 2 keys lower than it should), so there might be a ROM of that.
 - Micro Machines (Europe) (Unl) - Possibly same as USA version?
 - MiG 29 Soviet Fighter (Europe) (Unl) - Possibly same as USA version?
 - Pyramid (Australia) (Unl) - I can find USA versions of the game, but not the Australian release (it's probably by HES, since the game was developed by Sachen)
 - Super Adventure Quests (Europe) (Unl) - Confirmed to be the Europe version of Quattro Adventure (USA).
 - Toobin' (Europe) (Unl) - Surprisingly, this is the only Tengen unlicensed game on the list. Possibly same as USA version?
 - Ultimate Stuntman (Europe) (Unl) - Possibly same as USA version?

As I said before, I was unable to find any of these in ROM form, and I hope all of these will get dumped sooner or later. If any of you manage to find a ROM of any of these games, or dump the actual cartridge of these, please tell me.

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 06:10:28 AM »
I have updated my initial post with new information.

MLX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 07:40:34 AM »
Also it was recently discovered that CN-23 JP Ronny is a real thing. Features a NTDEC copyright on the title screen. I asked the owner if he wanted to get it dumped but he refused :/ So that would be your "original caltron version"

As for some more:
Toobin (feature Korean copyright)
Klax
Baby Boomer (feature updated copyrights)
Crystal Mines (feature Korean title screen)
Challenge of the Dragon (feature Korean title screen)
Menace Beach (feature Korean title screen)
Skull & Crossbones (feature Korean copyright)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 06:54:43 AM by MLX »

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 08:31:03 AM »
I have added MLX' items to the list. As for Rocman X' items:
Quote:

F15 City War (Europe) (Unl)? - F-15 City War is on the list of confirmed games, but I can only find an AVE USA release of the game (aside from the game being included in Maxi-15 Pack).[/quote]Released by Gluk Video, available in the NoIntro set as "F15 City War (Spain) (Gluk Video) (Unl)".
Quote:

Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy, The (Europe) (En,Fr,De) (Unl)[/quote]Available in NonGoodNES 2016-02-20 set.
Quote:

Micro Machines (Europe) (Unl)[/quote]Available in GoodNES 3.23b as Micro Machines (E) (Unl).
Quote:

Arctic Adventure: Penguin and Seal (Australia) (Unl)[/quote]NoIntro names the current dump "Penguin & Seal, The (Asia, Australia) (Unl)", so I assume that they are identical.
Quote:

Firehawk (Europe) (Unl)
MiG 29 Soviet Fighter (Europe) (Unl)
Pyramid (Australia) (Unl)
Super Adventure Quests (Europe) (Unl)
Toobin' (Europe) (Unl)
Ultimate Stuntman (Europe) (Unl)[/quote]I am not adding them to the list until someone indicates that these actually are different in some way.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 08:51:54 AM by NewRisingSun2 »

MrNorbert1994

• View Profile
    • http://mrnorbert1994.uw.hu/
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 11:50:34 AM »
About my Firehawk rip:
That is nothing more than just a shameless changing the 7Ahex offset to PAL.
I noticed that the game dumped version detects what region console the game was plugged in.
So I just renamed the ROM as "Firehawk (Unl) (E) [!]" and it played a semitone lower in correct speed.
I need to fix the tempo in the NSF but that is going to be easy however...

To post something useful too as well...

I recently got this private dump of the European Dizzy (which strangely also detects region).
The guy who sent me wanted to have a PAL NSF out of it, however the tempo correction routine here is very complicated.

Attachments:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 11:51:30 AM by MrNorbert1994 »

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 11:58:13 AM »
MrNorbert1994's European Dizzy dump differs from the one in NonGoodNES 2016-02-20 set by exactly two bytes (offsets include NES header):
Code:

Comparing NonGoodNES 2016-02-20 version and MrNorbert1994's dump:
000069F6: 12 27
000069F7: AA 9B

Edit: MrNorbert1994's dump is in NonGoodNES 2016-02-20 labelled "Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy (E) (M3) [Fix v1.01]". In other words, it's not the original dump, but a version that was "fixed" in some way, at leas if one trusts anonymous ROM tags. ;)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 12:04:50 PM by NewRisingSun2 »

MrNorbert1994

• View Profile
    • http://mrnorbert1994.uw.hu/
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 12:20:37 PM »
I have a tendency to rename dumps, to be more clear. : P

Famulator

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 06:19:11 PM »
Already dumped, but World Heroes 2 nsf lacks Mario's victory theme. There might be more but I'm not sure.

MLX

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 06:45:50 PM »
Might be worth making a NSF thread instead of hijacking this since there's a quite a few NSF that needs to be fixed.
(Or mention it on nesdev since that's where they are based)

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2017, 07:12:05 PM »
"MLX"

Also it was recently discovered that CN-23 JP Ronny is a real thing. Features a NTDEC copyright on the title screen. I asked the owner if he wanted to get it dumped but he refused :/ So that would be your "original caltron version"[/quote]Can the owner be persuaded to take a picture of the title screen?

MLX

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2017, 08:17:13 PM »