Author Topic: Lost in bygone gaming  (Read 6077 times)

MLX

• View Profile
Lost in bygone gaming
« on: September 10, 2016, 09:50:58 AM »
So hum, there is a bunch of stuff I've been thinking of documenting but it wouldn't fit BGW because it was either too long or REALLY not interesting (who wants to read 2 paragraphs talking about pcb or whatever?). It will be mostly stuff that nobody will ever write down or bother to find.

I decided to start a blog named "lost in bygone gaming" with a first article explaining the JY-NT relationship in 1996.
http://masterdisk.byethost15.com/blog/libg/

I'll mostly use it to reference some stuff I write on BGW or undocumented finds.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 06:12:19 AM by MLX »

HummerTeam1001

• View Profile
    • http://famicloneblog.wordpress.com
Lost in bygone gaming
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 12:11:11 AM »
That post was interesting. :)

MLX

• View Profile
Lost in bygone gaming
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 07:29:34 PM »
New article (JY stuff part 1 on 3)

EDIT:
Part 2 on 3 also available.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 02:51:48 PM by MLX »

fcgamer

• View Profile
Lost in bygone gaming
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 12:28:37 AM »
It is an interesting blog; however, it would be nice to mention how some of the items have been confirmed.

Colonel Llama

• View Profile
Lost in bygone gaming
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 05:37:50 AM »
I think some of the stuff there was confirmed by Hummer Cheng himself in his talk with MLX.
"May the Schwartz be with you"
                                       -Yogurt

MLX

• View Profile
Lost in bygone gaming
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 06:06:47 AM »
fcgamer
Sep 14 2016, 12:28:37 AM
It is an interesting blog; however, it would be nice to mention how some of the items have been confirmed.  [/quote]Sorry, but what do you mean by items?

Could you please give an example from the blog?

My bad english doesn't help there.

fcgamer

• View Profile
Lost in bygone gaming
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 07:50:49 AM »
MLX
Sep 14 2016, 06:06:47 AM
fcgamer
Sep 14 2016, 12:28:37 AM
It is an interesting blog; however, it would be nice to mention how some of the items have been confirmed.  [/quote]Sorry, but what do you mean by items?

Could you please give an example from the blog?

My bad english doesn't help there.[/quote]My friend, I've been telling you for years, your English is perfect ;)

What I mean are things such as this:  "Releasing mostly pirates copies of official games but hacks as well. Super Bros. 7 (Grand Dad as people call it) and Super Bros. 8 are both confirmed to originate from JY. They possibly made some other on the Mario line but I can't confirm any more than these two at the moment."

You say that the games are confirmed to have originated from JY, but if I were to critique the piece, this information was made available by whom?  Although I assume you mean it was confirmed by Mr. Hummer himself, without telling us how this information was confirmed or where the information came from, it makes it fall more into a hearsay category, sort of like how several websites are saying that the original version of Terrifying 911 was in English (no, the original was in Chinese), etc.  Do you know what I mean?  

I can understand if you don't want to get into specifics to protect your sources from everyday readers, but something such as "A former programmer at JY company said..." is a lot better than  just saying that is has been confirmed, without showing evidence to that point.  This is of course just my opinion though, and since I was a literary major in the university, maybe I just have expectations for things like this.

Otherwise, it looks great!  I really enjoyed reading the articles you've written so far, and if there is anyway I can help, please let me know.

MLX

• View Profile
Lost in bygone gaming
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 10:30:57 AM »
Ohh right!

Super Bros. 7 and Super Bros. 8 original releases both have proms with JY text on them. I actually wrote about this on BGW but simply never bothered with a picture or something since anyone with a copy could check themself (note for SB8, http://bootleggames.wikia.com/wiki/Mario_Pirate_Hacks#Super_Bros._8 that first cover only).

I've updated the said article with an actual photo of the pcbs.

I've read diagonally the other articles and I didn't see anything similar. The rest being assumptions or suggested possibilities as stated.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 10:38:35 AM by MLX »

MLX

• View Profile
Lost in bygone gaming
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 05:54:29 PM »
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 05:54:48 PM by MLX »

MLX

• View Profile
Lost in bygone gaming
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 05:42:54 PM »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
Lost in bygone gaming
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 05:25:39 PM »
Awesome, it's interesting to read up on these old companies that no one else bothers to look into :)

MLX

• View Profile
Lost in bygone gaming
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 05:35:08 PM »
Thanks! Definitely more stuff coming up but I need some time to write it. That last article was made in a rush.

MLX

• View Profile
Lost in bygone gaming
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 12:17:04 PM »

fcgamer

• View Profile
Lost in bygone gaming
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 01:34:35 PM »
I have this one on cart, got it a long time ago.  

If you want to sell yours / your box, I'd love to have that one in my collection.  Yeah, there are still some things I am keeping ;)

MLX

• View Profile
Lost in bygone gaming
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 04:35:27 AM »
Can you please confirm it's simply an hacked version of Hudson's Mahjong please? This is fairly surprising/odd for that to be sold with a box.