Author Topic: MK4 made by Hummer?  (Read 3818 times)

Doomkid

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.ws/doomkid/
MK4 made by Hummer?
« on: January 16, 2011, 10:00:49 PM »
So I've found a small bit of proof that MK4 (The really dodgy one using a bastardized KF engine) is indeed related to all the other Hummer/JY fighters of the time, and unsurprisingly the proof is in the text:

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7935/piratedsimilar.png

You can see that after the alphabet and number 0-9 in each game, there is a [. .] followed by a [ - ] and a weird little Orb which might have been a pointer of some sort. Also, the numbers use the EXACT same font. MK4 (bottom left corner) also has this. Also, you might notice Garou Densetsu Special's alphabet font was directly ripped and re-used for Street Fighter Alpha Zero 97, the newest and apparently last of Hummer's fighting games (A pretty crappily programmed one at that) and the KF engine's final spin. More proof of common ancestry!

But what I find really weird is how poorly made MK4 is. The music, the gameplay physics, the timing, the charchter select screen - it all SUCKS in comparison to MKII and MKII special, which of course came first. The grabs don't work right, and you can cause a never-ending round by rapidly pressing B and kicking your dead opponent as the round is attempting to end. In this I see several possibilites - They got one or more new programmers (which would mean some of the old/more experienced programmers left) right beore development for this game started (of course, using the KF engine- they see it as their ol' reliable) and as they went to work it became increasingly obvious they had no idea how to, you know, MAKE A GAME. Sheesh this thing is bad even compared to SFII., which to be fair was the first of the pirated fighters.

On a related note, music from Harry's Legend is in Mortal Kombat 4.. if you make it to Stryker's stage, listen close - its the "level select" music from Harry's Legend, but in a different key! Its like another case of DK JR's stage in Fart Fighter, and the boss music from Jing Zin Quan or whatever that old supertone RPG is called. Crazyness, people!

EDIT: This video will prove to you guys that MK4 came after Harry's Legend and Garou Densetsu Special, and paved the way to Street Fighter Alpha Zero '97 (AKA The Death of Hummer Team)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2gwLh6FFX4

This pirated NES game stuff just gets weirder and weirder. I'd like to use the PC they were building these games from, and shuck off my own pirated NES game using the Kart Fighter engine - Have a Mari V.S. Rayden battle, or maybe Chun Li V.S. Sub Zero... lmao. That would kick ass.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 12:45:08 AM by Doomkid »

MLX

• View Profile
MK4 made by Hummer?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 01:59:15 AM »
Faceplant
Jan 16 2011, 10:00:49 PM
So I've found a small bit of proof that MK4 (The really dodgy one using a bastardized KF engine) is indeed related to all the other Hummer/JY fighters of the time, and unsurprisingly the proof is in the text:

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7935/piratedsimilar.png

You can see that after the alphabet and number 0-9 in each game, there is a [. .] followed by a [ - ] and a weird little Orb which might have been a pointer of some sort. Also, the numbers use the EXACT same font. MK4 (bottom left corner) also has this. Also, you might notice Garou Densetsu Special's alphabet font was directly ripped and re-used for Street Fighter Alpha Zero 97, the newest and apparently last of Hummer's fighting games (A pretty crappily programmed one at that) and the KF engine's final spin. More proof of common ancestry!

But what I find really weird is how poorly made MK4 is. The music, the gameplay physics, the timing, the charchter select screen - it all SUCKS in comparison to MKII and MKII special, which of course came first. The grabs don't work right, and you can cause a never-ending round by rapidly pressing B and kicking your dead opponent as the round is attempting to end. In this I see several possibilites - They got one or more new programmers (which would mean some of the old/more experienced programmers left) right beore development for this game started (of course, using the KF engine- they see it as their ol' reliable) and as they went to work it became increasingly obvious they had no idea how to, you know, MAKE A GAME. Sheesh this thing is bad even compared to SFII., which to be fair was the first of the pirated fighters.

On a related note, music from Harry's Legend is in Mortal Kombat 4.. if you make it to Stryker's stage, listen close - its the "level select" music from Harry's Legend, but in a different key! Its like another case of DK JR's stage in Fart Fighter, and the boss music from Jing Zin Quan or whatever that old supertone RPG is called. Crazyness, people!

EDIT: This video will prove to you guys that MK4 came after Harry's Legend and Garou Densetsu Special, and paved the way to Street Fighter Alpha Zero '97 (AKA The Death of Hummer Team)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2gwLh6FFX4

This pirated NES game stuff just gets weirder and weirder. I'd like to use the PC they were building these games from, and shuck off my own pirated NES game using the Kart Fighter engine - Have a Mari V.S. Rayden battle, or maybe Chun Li V.S. Sub Zero... lmao. That would kick ass.[/quote]It is known that MK3 (4 was made later), was related to Hummer. It has been supposed that one guy left Hummer and made it with some random people. Both the programming and the graphics are bad. And as all Hummer's ending credits 2 programmers, I doubt one left in 1996 to make that one. It's very likely he/she took some engine code. He could have later joined ABAB Soft with the other ex-Hummer members.
The orb is always used. It is the point that appear when you win a fight. Garou and SF2Z97 uses the same HUD. Tekken 2 does also. The lastest Hummer game is King of Fighters '96. SFZ297 was made one year before that one. And SFZ297 isn't badly programmed. Difficulty is high but the whole game is good. KoF96 is awesome. Also MK4, SF2Z97 and KoF96 do not use the KF engine. They all use revisions made later than that game. And KOF isn't the first game that use the engine. It is Street Fighter II. So please call it "SFII Engine".I've been thinking that all those problems with MK4 are caused by bad/lazy programming. The sprites are all stucks with 4 colors (unlike other Hummers game) and the fighting is bad. Graphics aren't good but not that terrible.

Also I highly doubt Harry's came before MK4. All musics do not fit in any stages and they are all lazy small loop.

Everything you pointed here has been discussed on RX Community.

Doomkid

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.ws/doomkid/
MK4 made by Hummer?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 03:35:07 AM »
Would you mind giving me a few links to where this has been discussed? I've looked on the RX community forums and can't find it.. I'd like to read it for myself, and maybe add in a few things if they haven't already been said. It seems like there's a lot of mis-information about pirated games out there, so it would be good to read more of what people have discovered and stuff.

Honestly I thought this was the forum with the most pirated game discussion :P I'm glad to hear its not just a few crazies like myself who research the history of these obscure games.

EDIT: Also,
Quote:

..And SFZ297 isn't badly programmed. Difficulty is high but the whole game is good..[/quote]

Believe me, this game is terribly programmed - and the difficulty is very, VERY low (you can see that in the video I posed above). Here's my reasoning: There are many ways to get the other player stuck until you kill them and they have no way to get out, the "victory" noise doesn't even play at the end of every round, the CPU does grabs randomly when they're nowhere near you (just like in MK4) and you can throw someone, walk to where they are going to land, throw them again, and get them stuck like that as well. The beginning cutscene is nice, but MK 2 Special and Kart Fighter have far superior gameplay.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 03:41:52 AM by Doomkid »

KingPepe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
MK4 made by Hummer?
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 07:09:39 AM »
Well most of the stuff that Hummer made under NT wasn't all that good and this is one of them. I'm surprised you didn't catch the Garou Densetsu select music in that game.
Also Harry's Legend is actually a hack (still done by ex-Hummer) of another game that is (possibly) known as Titenic (which seems a LOT better then Harry's Legend by comparison), you can read about it here:
http://s4.zetaboards.com/PGC_Forums?topic=7946338/1/#new
http://s4.zetaboards.com/PGC_Forums?topic=7986140/1/#new
Funny enough (as you may read), one of the hacks of MK3 known as UMK4 (I think it was that one) has stuff related to Titenic in the ROM if you look at it with a hex editor.

MLX

• View Profile
MK4 made by Hummer?
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 12:45:55 PM »
Faceplant
Jan 17 2011, 03:35:07 AM
Quote:

..And SFZ297 isn't badly programmed. Difficulty is high but the whole game is good..[/quote]

Believe me, this game is terribly programmed - and the difficulty is very, VERY low (you can see that in the video I posed above). Here's my reasoning: There are many ways to get the other player stuck until you kill them and they have no way to get out, the "victory" noise doesn't even play at the end of every round, the CPU does grabs randomly when they're nowhere near you (just like in MK4) and you can throw someone, walk to where they are going to land, throw them again, and get them stuck like that as well. The beginning cutscene is nice, but MK 2 Special and Kart Fighter have far superior gameplay.[/quote]Being cheap doesn't make the game easy (generality). You can be cheap in any fighting game ans say it's easy. The only way to be cheap (he isn't stuck, you just block him by tapping buttons) is to make him go in one corner, and just keep on pressing A or B. Kart Fighter has more problems with programming. Luigi AI only is just an enormous programming error. Same when you can see the character at the other side of the screen just because you throw it and the hidden wall is broken. Also the 2 player hit box priority make the whole game unplayable (and the whole hit box stuff is bad). You can also be cheap in Kart Fighter. You just need to make your opponent fall using B + down and when you are pushed by the to avoid cheapness and just come again and do B + down again Your opponent won't be able to do anything. SF2Z97 has most of this stuff fixed. The only big downside with SFZ297 is he cheapness security is half broken. Most of the other glitches were fixed. Also most people that plays fighting games will tell you that you cannot says the game is easy by cheating. That's not how you're supposed to fight. And if you don't spam special attacks in SF2Z97 after the second battler you get beaten easily. Nash is easy on the first round but it gets harder in the second then Chun Li shows you really how the game is. SF2Z97 is not the best one but the engine has quite changed since to make the game better. KoF96 is god for that engine. Making it the last run with the 4th revision.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
MK4 made by Hummer?
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 02:14:50 PM »
MLX
Jan 17 2011, 12:45:55 PM
KoF96 is god for that engine. Making it the last run with the 4th revision.[/quote]I have to disagree with that statement. I played through the game on the normal difficulty and compared to the others, this one seems really easy IMO. And having to fight several waves of clones just gets boring after a while, just like in MK4. It's a pity because if this game did actually have the 20 or so characters that the ROM lists, it might have been more interesting in that regard. In fairness though, at least they bothered including the tag team modes.

MLX

• View Profile
MK4 made by Hummer?
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 03:27:21 PM »
Maybe you are right. But KoF96 does an excellent job. Not to hard, not to easy. These repeats are indeed boring but these appear in all other hummer fighters. Except SF2. There's less in some games but more in SFZ2. (not the 97 version).