Author Topic: Mortal Kombat Mythologies Gold 2000  (Read 9966 times)

tabmok99

• View Profile
Mortal Kombat Mythologies Gold 2000
« on: April 05, 2016, 06:15:59 PM »
Hello all,

I have lurked here for quite some time but registered an account today. I first heard about the Mortal Kombat Mythologies Gold 2000 cartridge for SNES here at these forums. Recently, I managed to acquire a copy of it for myself! I created this video which should answer any/all questions anyone may have:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aabES_8LUrk

In case I missed anything, please feel free to ask any questions about the game and I will be happy to answer them.

It's been years and still no ROM has surfaced.  If anyone is interested, I may need assistance with the technical aspect of it but I would be happy to dump the cart and make a ROM publicly available. I'd be down for that.

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
  • Cutting yourself is fun, as long as you're paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 06:48:34 PM »
This will definitely be a step forward to uncovering all bootleg videogames the world has to offer, despite most SNES pirates being the same as their counterparts on Genesis. And them sucking, too.

Yeah, I'd love to see that as a ROM nonetheless.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 06:59:50 PM »
It's cool to see that there's a SNES version of this. I do wonder if all of these late 90s/early 2000s Mega Drive bootlegs were ported to SNES too. Like, stuff like this and the first Pocket Monster game were released on both so who knows? :)

Moneyspider_Todd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 09:52:48 PM »
woah! that sound pretty cool.

pd: Welcome!

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 03:40:32 PM »
If you wanted to dump it yourself the cheapest alternative would be something like the Super UFO 8 that uses SD cards. A dump wouldn't work straight out in an emulator, you'd have to get someone to patch it.
I didn't recognize any of the background music except for that one tune, which is the one they play during the opening for Top Fighter 2000. I can't remember off the top of my head if it was used in either KoF '98 or '99 (might have) also but it's interesting to see that they attempted to produce new music instead of recycling the standard Capcom songs that are usually ripped verbatim.

Is there any way to get an estimated date these carts by comparing the artwork? Unlike the hand full of new SNES pirates that have been made recently and just use patched ROMs dumped by fans this is one of those few that only exist as "original" carts in the wild. What games are these Sub-Zero pics taken from (Deception? Deadly Alliance?) While there's a slim chance they took old carts and made new labels for them, it would be interesting to know that someone bothered to make a new run of these carts several years after they were originally released.

One reason I ask that is the Soul Blade VS Samurai Shodown MD cart I had used artwork from Samurai Shodown Anthology for PS2/PSP/Wii, which dates it probably 10 years after the original release.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 03:14:06 AM by Azathoth »

fenix00

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 12:14:22 AM »
Everyone know this is a port of N64 game, True?

bgr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 07:48:30 AM »
At what cost such beauty?

KimKaphwanAndKnuckles

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 04:08:12 PM »
I'm guessing the SNES version came out in 99/00 to cash in on the release of MK Gold.

tabmok99

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 08:10:30 AM »
Azathoth,

I agree with KimKaphwanAndKnuckles that the game most likely came out in 2000. This is an older cart but the label shows it must be newer. So it appears that the same South American group that made the game originally back in the day, is cranking out a few new carts today. That's what seems most likely to me.

And as fenix00, this is a downgrade of an N64/PSX game, I think I alluded to that in my review but I hope everyone knows this as well :)

googoo11672

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 09:08:02 AM »
Just bought the cart you mentioned at the end of the video, guess I'm gonna be the second person with a known copy haha (didn't pay full price btw :P)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 09:08:43 AM by googoo11672 »

tabmok99

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2016, 02:47:27 PM »
Azathoth
Apr 6 2016, 03:40:32 PM
I didn't recognize any of the background music except for that one tune, which is the one they play during the opening for Top Fighter 2000. I can't remember off the top of my head if it was used in either KoF '98 or '99 (might have) also but it's interesting to see that they attempted to produce new music instead of recycling the standard Capcom songs that are usually ripped verbatim.[/quote]

Hmm. I can't find any other pirate games that use these same songs, let me know if you find which games use them.

Azathoth
Apr 6 2016, 03:40:32 PM
Is there any way to get an estimated date these carts by comparing the artwork? Unlike the hand full of new SNES pirates that have been made recently and just use patched ROMs dumped by fans this is one of those few that only exist as "original" carts in the wild. What games are these Sub-Zero pics taken from (Deception? Deadly Alliance?) While there's a slim chance they took old carts and made new labels for them, it would be interesting to know that someone bothered to make a new run of these carts several years after they were originally released.[/quote]

Well, as unlikely as it seems, it's definitely the case that they took some old carts and made new labels for them.  People have posted about this game since at least 2010 (when I first became aware of it), but the artwork comes from later games.

One of them is taken from the Sub-Zero render from MK9 (released in 2011):

The other is not a render at all, but some fan art made by sherawat:

Here's a link to the artist's page on deviantART. He uploaded it on May 30, 2013, by the way.

http://sherawat.deviantart.com/art/Mortal-Kombat-Sub-Zero-374956545

googoo11672
Apr 11 2016, 09:08:02 AM
Just bought the cart you mentioned at the end of the video, guess I'm gonna be the second person with a known copy haha (didn't pay full price btw :P)[/quote]

Congratulations! I know you were looking for this for quite some time also (a few years I believe?) so I'm glad you finally got the chance to get ahold of it! You should let us know if there are any differences in the cart you get and the one I posted.

googoo11672

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 08:27:18 AM »
Sure, it should arrive pretty soon. I'll keep you all updated
btw the cart I got has that deviantART pic, interesting
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 08:28:19 AM by googoo11672 »

pichichi010

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 12:02:58 AM »
Wow Finally!

And I do have a friend in Brazil that found Me Hercules SNES to be dumped.

googoo11672

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 06:23:49 AM »
It's finally here

Doesn't the cart look a little too clean?
Is there a way to find out if it's a repro cart or not?
I'll post some gameplay pics in a few minutes

Besides the label I don't see any differences between Tobmok99's cart and mine
I'd still like to know if there's a way to see if it's a repro cart or not if anyone can tell me
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 06:56:14 AM by googoo11672 »

googoo11672

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2016, 08:48:13 AM »
Anyone?