Author Topic: AtGames consoles aren't ARM-based?  (Read 4523 times)

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
AtGames consoles aren't ARM-based?
« on: July 01, 2015, 12:00:46 AM »
Interesting discussion that I happened to stumble across, via http://pnp-info.angelfire.com/, in this thread on AtariAge. To quote one of the posts from user "onmode-ky" in that thread:

Quote:

our assumptions that AtGames Genesis systems run via emulator on their Titan ARM have been incorrect since at least the very beginning of this topic, over 5 years ago!

Take a look at the first few posts in this topic. Do you see the references to "RedKid cartridges"? It turns out that the "RK" in the RK and RK2 16-bit chips' names is merely an abbreviation for "RedKid"! While the term "RedKid" was shortly superseded in the consumer-facing space by "Firecore," this means that since at least mid-2008, AtGames' Genesis systems have run not through emulation on an ARM but rather through Genesis-on-a-chip hardware. Obviously, it is not a 1-to-1 perfect GOAC, but then, compatibility is a frequent issue with NOACs as well.
[/quote]

Somehow it's been almost two years and I completely missed this revelation. Huh.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 04:29:02 AM »
So from what I understand, the hardware was developed by DMC. I kind of had a suspicion that AtGames didn't make their own hardware as the same flawed emulation appears on some more recent pirate Mega Drive clones (although it only seems to be with handheld stuff as far as I know) and it makes sense that, given sound problems most NOACs have, these systems would run on a GOAC.

Also, that first page you linked mentions DMC fixing sound bugs at some point, but as far as I can tell their most recent devices have the same sound emulation problems.

Actually, I'm pretty sure they changed the hardware itself at some point as while the sound emulation is off on all of them (as far as I can tell at least), I've noticed that older models with cartridge slots are incompatible with far more games than newer models.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 07:31:49 PM »
ah, nice find, I had no idea!

The "RK2" being an enhanced version would explain some of the original games on their systems looking a little too graphically-advanced for standard Mega Drive hardware - I guess it's something along the lines of the VT03 allowing for more colours and whatnot.

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 08:19:25 AM »
I always took it for granted all these were just emulators on an ARM-based setup for the simple fact that they perform absolutely horrible compared to even the shittiest, cheapest GOAC clones available. Most GOAC clones have noticeable audio issues like twangy music, volumes on channels being off, etc but every single AT Games product I've tried is distorted to the point you virtually cannot even stomach to listen to it. I've probably played about 10 different flavors of GOAC machines and all are head and shoulders above every AT Games product. Hell, all those that are compatible with real carts (or load ROMs) won't even save games, that's an issue that I've never heard of any other GOAC console having.

I think the poster mentioned has his timeline messed up. Most AT Games clones, especially the Firecore models with SD slots, use ARM processors, and only this newer 80-in-1 classic system uses a GOAC. I owned this exact same one for a short time and it was absolutely horrible, the worst sounding GOAC system I've ever played combined with the worst game compatibility.

[rant begins]

There's a portable clone put out by AT Games that goes under a bunch of different names and is rebranded and distributed in other countries by different manufacturers. It's commonly referred to as a Gopher and has an SD card slot to load ROMs. Seems like the newest version distributed in the US is licensed by Capcom and includes Super Street Fighter II and maybe Mega Man: Wily Wars.

I picked up a cheap knockoff of this a while back that includes like 100 or 200 games instead of the usual 30 plus the usual run of 50 or so garbage Tectoy/AT Games originals. The gameplay on it is HORRIBLE, I mean utter complete rubbish. There is not one single game that doesn't play with either horrid slowdown or an amount of frame skipping that it looks like a slideshow. There is a gigantic difference compared to the real, licensed version.

The handheld itself is made from the same molds and is physically exactly the same at least from the outside. The menus and everything else are the same except the Firecore name is altered to say "Firecord". It also plays MP3s from the SD card which is something the original didn't.

I always assumed that this was just a knockoff using a cheaper, slower ARM processor which is why it works like the original only worse. A simple GOAC system definitely would not behave like that. Plus you'd definitely have to use some additional hardware/software or frontend to allow ROM loading and on top of that a simple GOAC clone couldn't handle MP3 playback.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 08:46:10 AM by Azathoth »

HummerBootlegFan1992

• View Profile
    • http://https://sites.google.com/site/officialhummer1992/home
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 08:45:57 AM »
Strangely, though, I for some reason seem to have an AtGames Genesis Console. It's called "Firecore".

My uncle gave it to me like 3 Christmases ago, and I thought it was a real Sega Genesis until I opened the box.

The thing is, the sound is sort of corrupted, and it doesn't have an SD card or anything.

If anyone wants I could review it on my YouTube Channel...

pichichi010

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 10:52:28 PM »
We were working into adding our games to the atgames console. The emulator is so bad, that a lot of our games which run ok in all versions of the Genesis, would have graphical glitches or sound problems.

We decided to make our own version GOAC, but currently looking to license a popular enough character to compete against sonic and atgames. :D