Author Topic: Famicom Mario World - Physics Patched  (Read 5019 times)

19rsn007

• View Profile
Famicom Mario World - Physics Patched
« on: December 21, 2015, 05:23:42 AM »
Hey people,

I've been playing around with the Super Mario World port by Hummer Team.
I liked the game, but running and jumping was awful !
Some pits were almost impossible to jump over and running almost instantly made me run into enemies because mario was running like sonic (speedwise)

This evening I took the rom for a little trip down debugging road and after a while I managed to slow down the running.

After patching the running, I looked at the jumping routines in the rom and I also managed to make mario jump without slowing down so much and some pits I really found difficult to jump can be jumped much easier now.

the patched rom can be downloaded here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/da2a3tdsfw28drq/Super_Mario_World_-_Full_Patched.zip

19rsn007

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 07:44:53 AM »
wow, 46 views, but nobody actually telling if the game is more playable compared to how it was...

yacopu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 05:31:20 PM »
I feel that this is definitely a significant improvement to the gameplay! The running was always a pain to control, and the jumping felt really odd.

19rsn007

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 08:06:51 PM »
Well I find the game more playable as well.
but I got a complaint of someone that lost his Yoshi and he wasn't able to get it back because yoshi is running as fast as mario now :P

Ziontist

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 01:34:38 AM »
19rsn007
Dec 26 2015, 07:44:53 AM
wow, 46 views, but nobody actually telling if the game is more playable compared to how it was...[/quote]Late reply, sorry...hopefully you see this. Yeah the game is much more playable, and even fun with the adjusted physics. I never really played it much before. I know the Game Genie YUSUPLAZ and (alternatively) YUXLALAZ codes (AFAIK they each do the same thing) alter the jumping physics and make it more playable as well. You altered the game more than those codes do though. Well done, and thank you for sharing.

And I hear ya. I don't know if this forum is suffering from social anxiety and/or passively hazes n00bs this way. I currently have a thread pushing a year old. Over 300 views and 70 downloads of the file I linked...*crickets*

It def doesn't encourage people to wanna share. I do it anyways though. For that special lazy snob user or lurker who sort of appreciates it, but not really.

TALUIGI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 08:24:01 AM »
Now we need to fix the horrendous graphics :p

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
  • Cutting yourself is fun, as long as you're paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 05:34:02 PM »
Well worth the effort!

Although I do miss the fast running now. Makes Mario's "airplane arms" animation look out of place, kind of. And yep, getting back to Yoshi is a bitch now.

Ziontist

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 12:36:08 AM »
I've noticed now that either with this fix, or the YUSUPLAZ code patched to the full ROM (YUSLALAZ is for the incomplete version I found out), after I start a game, it skips past the first level select screen. Like it auto-selects and I have to start at the next level select screen. This doesn't happen with the unpatched ROM.

I've tested it on Nestopia on PC, and NES.emu on Android, same results. Not sure what's up with this.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 12:43:04 AM by Ziontist »

Ziontist

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 10:18:10 AM »
A SMW NES hack was recently posted on RHDN is hack that both improves the physics, and fixes the bug that causes the game to skip over the first level select screen:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3213/

I couldn't find a SMW NES ROM that matches the listed checksum values. I patched it to CAH4E3's dump. It seems to work fine, but if anybody has a SMW ROM that matches, please post it up:

File Name: Super Mario World (Unl).nes
CRC32: 395D1793
SHA-1: ACEC431CAB42C1143374499482B0A1332A93AAA0