Author Topic: Companies that Produce Pirated Games  (Read 1753 times)

watersnake

• View Profile
Companies that Produce Pirated Games
« on: September 20, 2015, 07:20:09 PM »
I'm working on a research project about pirated games particularly those for the NES/SNES/Gameboy. I'm particularly interested in how those companies produced these "bootleg" quality games. These companies required people with at least some programming familiarity. How were they able to hire people at that paygrade to produce such low quality content? What is it about modern consoles that makes them less prone to having "bootleg" or pirate games on them?

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
Companies that Produce Pirated Games
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 05:17:15 PM »
well I doubt the programmers were particularly well-paid, and I'm sure many were inexperienced - supposedly they often hired students.

the quality is extremely variable among bootleg games though, i wouldnt say there is such a thing as "bootleg quality" - for the ones that *are* low quality its usually down to them being rushed, underfunded, under-resourced, under-experienced etc, they had pressure from publishers to get them out of the door and not much opportunity to make a quality product even if they wanted to. some still managed it, though.

as for the lack of bootleg games for modern consoles - it's about 50% copy protection and 50% the increased difficulty of developing for them. even if you were able to make your game run on the hardware, you can't really have three underpaid people slap together a passable PS4 game in a month the way you could on the NES.