Author Topic: Large amount of specific release date addition  (Read 3546 times)

msf007

• View Profile
Large amount of specific release date addition
« on: October 25, 2015, 01:53:40 AM »
An anonymous user using single IP(198.24.31.125) added very specific release date for bunch of games about 10 hours ago, and this is quite odd considering most unlicensed games having very unclear history.

Here's one example. This editor stated that Super Maruo was released in December 31, 1986 and I think this makes some sense since Japanese sources also states that Super Maruo was released in December 1986.

Meanwhile, this editor also stated that Sonic 3D Blast 5 for Game Boy was released in April 1, 1999 and this sound quite suspicious to me... As I remember, many multicarts sold in Korean market began to feature the disastrous Sonic game along with Super Mario 4, and that was around 1997-1998. I remember Game Boy Pocket being the newest model of Game Boy at that time, and even Game Boy Light(Japan-exclusive model which was released in April 1998) didn't exist at that time.

Another edit that sounds suspicious is article for Sports Vii. The editor says it is released in December 1st, 2007 but this seems to be false as there are many evidences that Vii was released earlier than that. A chinese article currently linked in BGW's Vii article is written in 10/13/2007, and google searching also shows some Japanese people mentioning its presence before December 2007.

Should I revert these edits? For the rest of the articles I can't figure out whether it is true or not, and I think very few people will be able to confirm it. The anonymous editor is currently blocked so I don't think we can have some talk with him/her about the source.

fcgamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 08:54:56 AM »
No idea.  There are tons of mistakes / wrong info in the database though, that is often taken as gospel.

MLX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 09:37:02 AM »
Please correct any wrong information you notice on the wiki. Stating that there are many errors and not doing a thing helps nobody.

msf007

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 11:56:23 AM »
The problem here is that only one article I can confirm that it is wrong is Sport Vii. Sonic 3D Blast 5's release year relies on my old memory and I don't have any actual proof that it came out before 1999 for now. For the rest of the articles, I don't know anything so I need some help to figure out what is actually going on here.

If someone can confirm that the anonymous user just tried to fool people with completely false info, I would revert back every articles edited by him/her immediately without posting here(I'm currently doing this for that kdma/RVVD guy's edits since they don't make sense at all). However, searching for Super Maruo's release info made me think that this user might actually know something, and just made miss for some products.

fcgamer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 01:55:57 PM »
MLX
Oct 25 2015, 09:37:02 AM
Please correct any wrong information you notice on the wiki. Stating that there are many errors and not doing a thing helps nobody.[/quote]If the wiki would stop stealing pictures without crediting sources (or better yet, asking permission first when applicable) and also would stop giving so much attention to fan products (i.e. the wiki page for Metal Force talks about an unauthorized "reproduction" of the game), then maybe I would be more willing to make corrections.  But I hate the way that "collecting" has turned these days, and I personally don't think fan-made fakes should be recognized on an info wiki, and likewise also feel that when swiping pics from others in the community, credit should be provided.  
Regarding other errors, I do post questions on here from time to time, with things that I "question".  It would be nice to hear more responses to my questions / doubts, even via pm or skype or whatever.  If I have some doubts, maybe I don't want to just disclose my reasons / train of thought publically.
Regarding other errors, I do post questions on here from time to time, with things that I "question".  It would be nice to hear more responses to my questions / doubts, even via pm or skype or whatever.  If I have some doubts, maybe I don't want to just disclose my reasons / train of thought publically.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 01:57:12 PM by fcgamer »

MLX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 06:22:08 PM »
fcgamer
Oct 25 2015, 01:55:57 PM
If the wiki would stop stealing pictures without crediting sources (or better yet, asking permission first when applicable) and also would stop giving so much attention to fan products (i.e. the wiki page for Metal Force talks about an unauthorized "reproduction" of the game), then maybe I would be more willing to make corrections.  But I hate the way that "collecting" has turned these days, and I personally don't think fan-made fakes should be recognized on an info wiki, and likewise also feel that when swiping pics from others in the community, credit should be provided.[/quote]You can flag any unwanted or uncredited picture-s on the wiki by PMing an admin or moderator. Most of them were added by contributors that may not be aware of such specificities.
And we're constantly removing fan products related content. We know it's innapropriate and we keep deleting it when it appears. I often check the recent edits but I often miss some stuff. I've deleted quite a bunch of those recently, you may have/haven't noticed but we keep doing it when we notice. Also I think it's in the rules but nobody reads them err.

Quote:

Regarding other errors, I do post questions on here from time to time, with things that I "question".  It would be nice to hear more responses to my questions / doubts, even via pm or skype or whatever.  If I have some doubts, maybe I don't want to just disclose my reasons / train of thought publically.[/quote]

I'm very busy this year. I've no clue what you're referencing there and I guess I missed it. (And you may have noticed that i'm almost never online on skype)

msf007

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 06:50:17 AM »
So it looks like I have to consider those additions as false info for now, and I reverted one article left unfixed - Sonic the Hedgehog for SNES.

And I found something even more strange on that article - did JY Company published that hack??

MLX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 06:22:29 PM »
I saw that today too. I remember thinking about this since the PCB was manufactured by the exact same company (and it has some others similarities) but I do not remember saying it was published by JY (and I kinda doubt it was).
Althrough I highly suspect JY tried to enter the SNES market at some point as there are a bunch of labels using the exact same fonts and design as their later FC (Nxx) multicarts. That must have been in 1998-99, not before.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 06:23:43 PM by MLX »