Author Topic: VGM rips from bootlegs  (Read 3466 times)

kyusawamura

• View Profile
VGM rips from bootlegs
« on: July 02, 2015, 09:56:49 PM »
Hello, everybody! Looking for bootleg Megadrive roms I came across this website and I'm glad I did.

I was wondering what I could do to get my hands on VGM packs from the following bootleg games:

• Super Mario World 64
• Tiny Toons 3
• Mario 3, Mario 4 and Felix the Cat
• The two Hugo games

I can try and rip them myself, granted most of these games have safe sections to let the main character rest without music interruptions, but I would like to know if there's anywhere I can download these from, especially the ones used in the Unholy Gory Game Over Screen Russian Bootlegs, since apparently they seem to be kind of like the equivalent of Kevin McLeod's stuff that all YouTubers use. :P

Also, I would like to improve the music in SMW 64. Is there any easy way to replace music files in a ROM, or a tutorial for dummies on how to do that?

Many thanks!

-Kyū
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 04:35:39 PM by kyusawamura »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
VGM rips from bootlegs
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 03:39:51 AM »
I think those Russian bootlegs take their music from a module tracker (albeit in a different key) and the Hugo games are hacks of Chuck Rock 2 if I remember correctly.

kyusawamura

• View Profile
VGM rips from bootlegs
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 04:33:43 PM »
Awesome Panda
Jul 3 2015, 03:39:51 AM
I think those Russian bootlegs take their music from a module tracker (albeit in a different key) and the Hugo games are hacks of Chuck Rock 2 if I remember correctly.[/quote]Thank you.
So basically what Kudos does for their Mario 3, Mario 4 and Felix games is taking demo songs from (presumably) VGM/TFM Music Maker and change their key?
Yes, I just checked, that's what they did.

Dude, that's cheap.

Also, wouldn't it be more accurate to track all the music at F11 (or in the case of DefleMask, F01 901) so you know exactly what it's going to sound like depending on the clock speed you choose, also to have more control on how to distribute 32nds and other time measurements?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 05:12:10 PM by kyusawamura »

yacopu

• View Profile
VGM rips from bootlegs
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 03:49:51 AM »
kyusawamura
Jul 2 2015, 09:56:49 PM
I was wondering what I could do to get my hands on VGM packs from the following bootleg games:

• Super Mario World 64

[/quote]

The majority of Super Mario World 64's soundtrack is stolen from various megadrive titles which I'm pretty sure all rely on the GEMS sound driver.
Unfortunately, I do not know which games specifically it took tracks from.
You can check some of the GEMS games listed here: http://gdri.smspower.org/wiki/index.php/Mega_Drive/Genesis_Sound_Engine_List

kyusawamura
Jul 2 2015, 09:56:49 PM

Also, I would like to improve the music in SMW 64. Is there any easy way to replace music files in a ROM, or a tutorial for dummies on how to do that?

Many thanks!

-Kyū[/quote]

As for recomposing the music, it would not be an easy task to re-insert the tunes into the rom, as it would require knowledge of how the sound code works.
GEMS does have some decent documentation floating around on the internet, but I'm not sure if the few Super Mario World tunes that are in the game actually use GEMS as well. This essentially means that you would either have to make your music in the correct format for the sound engine, or you would have to develop a method/tool for converting exports from Deflemask to the format.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 03:56:51 AM by yacopu »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
VGM rips from bootlegs
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 06:17:24 AM »
I think the tracks in Super Mario World 64 (with the exception of the title screen and level 1 themes) are taken from TaleSpin, Super Battletank and Jeopardy for some reason.

yacopu

• View Profile
VGM rips from bootlegs
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 04:58:57 PM »
I just checked, and the those three seem to be the majority of SMW64's sound track indeed. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a VGM rip available for the MD version of Super Battletank; there is a rip of the SNES version though. There still seem to be a few tracks though that aren't from any of those three.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 04:59:34 PM by yacopu »