Author Topic: C&E's Decathalon  (Read 3571 times)

fcgamer

• View Profile
C&E's Decathalon
« on: September 27, 2015, 03:48:54 AM »
On the BGW's twitter page, it suggests that C&E developed Decathalon exclusively for American Video Entertainment, but then decided to release it themselves after AVE folded.  For many reasons, this does not seem right to me, and as such, I am curious as to where such information had been heard.
On another note, later I will share why I think this is not the case, but first I want to hear how this rumor was started.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 03:49:29 AM by fcgamer »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
C&E's Decathalon
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 03:13:13 PM »
Seems plausible to me. I have no idea where BGW's Twitter came up with that theory, but I know AVE folded the same year the game was made (1992), and a few other games they were going to publish went unreleased.

fcgamer

• View Profile
C&E's Decathalon
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 02:24:10 PM »
Bumping this one back up, let's hear some answers please.  Personally, this is why I am not a big fan of BGW (besides the fact that they swiped my pictures and information so many times, without even asking about it) - so many generalizations and big claims are made, with little evidence to back it up, especially with much evidence pointing in contrary directions.  Then when asked about it, just met with silence.

MLX

• View Profile
C&E's Decathalon
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 07:51:20 PM »
I'm 100% positive I've read that on a site that was mentionning a prototype of it + some words of R. Frick (AVE CEO). I tried finding it again when you asked for the sources but failed to do so and that ended up in a lack a reply because I was incredibly busy at the time (in 2015-2016 I was pretty much working non stop from 7:10am to 9pm and just had other stuff to do than do research). I'm fairly confident of my memory of what I read. Maybe the site was BS but that's another story.
Anyway, for me it made sense because:
a) Except their 2 RPGs, C&E was pretty much developping games for Hacker (AV Pachinko, AV Soccer, AV Poker, most of their FC games in fact) and AVE (American Crisis). Games made with their own budgets were mostly canned (Rolltris, that Poker game) or delayed (Feng Shen Bang). Tiles of Fate does not count because that one was distributed by Idea-Tek.
b) I think Hacker ceased their Famicom activities in 1991? C&E was pretty much Hacker's developers so they must have suffered from that, loosing a good chunk of their revenues by mid 91 or 1992. I doubt making some olympic sports game from scratch was a good solution at making quick cash while they had finished unreleased games on their desks like AV Soccer

About the BGW rant: I think all these points were already adressed by taizou on FamicomWorld. I'm not interested on writing the same message as him. We're totally open on criticism and the fact some people do not like us but personnaly I'm definitely not agreeing on some of your points, especially regarding the photos. I clearly remember which were incrimated since I deleted them:
-Princess Maker
-Street Fighter III
-2 GB(C) titles (which I can't remember)

The pics were all uploaded the same week by one contributor who is not part of the BGW-PGC crew. I'm not here to give a name but:
a) He doesn't speak english.
b) He couldn't know you weren't OK with that.
c) The pics were instantly removed after your request.
I don't understand how and why you're still all over this? Is there any left that weren't noticed? BGW has more than 700 pages and thousands of images, it's hard to check them all and monitor all edits made but we're doing our best on our free time. And you worded the sentence like it's all our fault?! Sorry for being an open community project where human errors are an actual thing. We believe we fixed it as fast as we could and in a lawful way. As stated, we're trying to monitor all edits but it's a tideous work and we miss some of the dubious ones. Wikipedia works the same.
As for swiped informations, where? Again, we're trying to add sources every time but sometime we forget and we can't force other users to do it or check all their writing after each edits. Again, I'm interested to see what pieces of information are uncredited, I'll gladly add the reference links on them.

Quote:

so many generalizations and big claims are made, with little evidence to back it up, especially with much evidence pointing in contrary directions.[/quote]
Any help is appreciated. As stated, it's a community driven thing. Dubious edits can find their way unnoticed. Sometimes edits are done on top of each other and some informations aren't edited in/out correctly. It happens. Stating that there are incoherent/proof-lacking things but not pointing out what is counterproductive.

Quote:

Then when asked about it, just met with silence.[/quote]
It did happen once, it was my fault and I am sorry but I'm not letting you say it's a common behavior of us.
I'm left out of words at this very sentence.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 08:03:59 AM by MLX »