Author Topic: Hummer Team's Donkey Kong Country 4  (Read 4181 times)

fcgamer

• View Profile
Hummer Team's Donkey Kong Country 4
« on: June 28, 2015, 12:20:12 PM »
Just got a cartridge of Hummer Team's Donkey Kong Country 4.  It is in a normal black JY-style case.  Instead of being JY-033 or whatever the correct number code is, it has printed on it "EL-033".  Also, EL-033 is printed on the pcb so its official, not just a bootleg.

Anyone know why the difference?  I can't get the cartridge to work, sadly, though.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 09:05:42 PM »
I know JY-style carts exist (sometimes with the same games/multicarts they released) with different two-letter initials on them.

MLX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 06:32:27 AM »
Just noticed this thread, better late than never!
For some reason, a few EL-XXX carts hit the market back in 1997. There is EL-001 Fifa 97 (with JY-060 printed on the PCB), EL-002 Tiny Toon 6 (PCB has JY-115 printed on it, label can be seen on BGW), EL-032 (possibly?), EL-033 and a few others.

They all share the exact same PCB with their JY counterpart release. (except EL-001 which doesn't seem to exist under a JY id). I doubt there is any particular meaning behind those EL-xxx release, like the SC-XXX cartridges (which is yet another id used by J.Y. Company).

EDIT: many JY carts manufactured from September 97 until September 98 have EL associated with the PCB manufacture date (later PCB lack those PCB date code and have the cartridge ID on them, such as SC-112, etc.)

Also huh, could SC stand for Super Cassette  :somari: ?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 06:50:23 AM by MLX »

fcgamer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 01:54:34 PM »
MLX
Jun 29 2016, 06:32:27 AM
Just noticed this thread, better late than never!
For some reason, a few EL-XXX carts hit the market back in 1997. There is EL-001 Fifa 97 (with JY-060 printed on the PCB), EL-002 Tiny Toon 6 (PCB has JY-115 printed on it, label can be seen on BGW), EL-032 (possibly?), EL-033 and a few others.

They all share the exact same PCB with their JY counterpart release. (except EL-001 which doesn't seem to exist under a JY id). I doubt there is any particular meaning behind those EL-xxx release, like the SC-XXX cartridges (which is yet another id used by J.Y. Company).

EDIT: many JY carts manufactured from September 97 until September 98 have EL associated with the PCB manufacture date (later PCB lack those PCB date code and have the cartridge ID on them, such as SC-112, etc.)

Also huh, could SC stand for Super Cassette  :somari: ?[/quote]I have a HIK 7 in 1 of similar style to the JY carts, but it has ID code SB01.  So I wondered, SB, SC, any relation?

GermanOffspringDude

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 04:10:00 PM »
According to Wiki, Fifa '97 was released in Japan for the PS1 on 6/20/97, so I guess DKC4 must have come out sometime after that. There are no other mentioned Japanese release dates on that page.

(I'm KimKaphwanAndKnuckles, but I lost my password and the recovery email never arrived so this is my new account)

MLX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 04:47:11 PM »
Well, those EL id are not ordered so you can't really tell which came first except maybe for Fifa and Tiny Toon (since the first is EL-001 and TTA6 is EL-002).

@fcgamer: yes, there are SA, SB, SC and SD carts. (+ those other ID for JY carts: QQ-90xx, Nxx, Kxx, VIPxx, Axxxx, TP-0xx). It's truly a mess.

fcgamer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 12:00:03 AM »
MLX
Jun 29 2016, 04:47:11 PM
Well, those EL id are not ordered so you can't really tell which came first except maybe for Fifa and Tiny Toon (since the first is EL-001 and TTA6 is EL-002).

@fcgamer: yes, there are SA, SB, SC and SD carts. (+ those other ID for JY carts: QQ-90xx, Nxx, Kxx, VIPxx, Axxxx, TP-0xx). It's truly a mess.[/quote]@MLX:  You know you want my SB cart then.  I could ship it with the JY single game pcb and the SMW cart.  This would be a great time too, before I move apartments...