Author Topic: Street Fighter Zero 4  (Read 4075 times)

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
Street Fighter Zero 4
« on: November 13, 2010, 02:05:16 AM »
something i just stumbled across. found it on sale on ruten first, then googled it, someone has pics on flickr (no gameplay shots though):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keatonx2/tags/streetfighterzero4/
doesn't look like its running on one of the usual pirate fighting engines, judging from the back of the box at least.

Barver

• View Profile
Street Fighter Zero 4
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 03:54:07 AM »
I saw this awhile back too. Always assumed it's probably a hack of that King of Fighters 97 or something. If it's anything like it, it can't be too remarkable.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
Street Fighter Zero 4
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 05:59:30 AM »
Isn't that the Comic Sans typeface on the title screen? If I remember correctly, only Yong Yong ever used that font in their games. Then again, this thing looks practically nothing like one of their games so I doubt it's by them.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Street Fighter Zero 4
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 11:54:56 AM »
well it looks like the "VS" in one of the screenshots on the box is the same as the one from the GBC version of Street Heroes. and since theres almost certainly a connection between Yong Yong and GBC Thunder Blast Man, it could be them..

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Street Fighter Zero 4
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 10:56:40 AM »
taizou
Nov 13 2010, 11:54:56 AM
well it looks like the "VS" in one of the screenshots on the box is the same as the one from the GBC version of Street Heroes. and since theres almost certainly a connection between Yong Yong and GBC Thunder Blast Man, it could be them..[/quote]I wish the guy had uploaded an actual in-game screen. It looks like the fighter names on the box screenshot are written in Ei-How Yang's usual font, but it's... really hard to tell, because the picture's so low-res.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Street Fighter Zero 4
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 11:32:43 AM »
Looking at the box and given the EHY font, I'd assume this would probably be either by Sachen or EHY, although seeing as the former always credited themselves it's probably not them. Looking at the box, I doubt it's by Yong Yong as theirs always had the proper GBC logo on the side as opposed to just "Game Color" and the box art looks less authentic in general. I'm sure I saw Game Color on some other box arts, but I forget which.

Edit: I just noticed something, the font used for the "VS" text is identical to the one used in the GBC version of Street Heroes. Definitely from someone associated with Sachen then.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 11:37:42 AM by Awesome Panda »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Street Fighter Zero 4
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 12:23:50 PM »
theres definitely a connection between this, Street Heroes and Capcom vs SNK (vids: 1/2) - the VS screen music in Capcom vs SNK is a version of the intro music from the NES Street Heroes, even though its not used there in the GBC version.

at a guess i'd say the same developer made GBC Jurassic Boy 2 as well. i'm really not sure who it was though. there are definitely a few links to Yong Yong, but these games all seem too well-made (compared to, say, Thunder Blast Man, which was almost certainly made by Yong Yong for Sachen). I don't think the "Game Color" thing rules them out, necessarily - i've seen one of their games with a "Super Game Color Advance" logo (which my multicart with those Digimon games also has)

Cheetahmen

Edit: I just noticed something, the font used for the "VS" text is identical to the one used in the GBC version of Street Heroes. Definitely from someone associated with Sachen then.[/quote]
taizou

well it looks like the "VS" in one of the screenshots on the box is the same as the one from the GBC version of Street Heroes. and since theres almost certainly a connection between Yong Yong and GBC Thunder Blast Man, it could be them..[/quote] :D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 12:24:14 PM by taizou »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Street Fighter Zero 4
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 12:28:32 PM »
taizou
Nov 18 2010, 12:23:50 PM
Cheetahmen

Edit: I just noticed something, the font used for the "VS" text is identical to the one used in the GBC version of Street Heroes. Definitely from someone associated with Sachen then.[/quote]
taizou

well it looks like the "VS" in one of the screenshots on the box is the same as the one from the GBC version of Street Heroes. and since theres almost certainly a connection between Yong Yong and GBC Thunder Blast Man, it could be them..[/quote] :D[/quote]Good to see that my identification skills are far better than my memory. :lol: Also, can someone upload that video on Youtube? Nicovideo or whatever it's called isn't letting me watch it and I don't know how to sign up as I can't read Japanese. Edit: More demonstration of my awesome memory skills, turns out I already had an account on there about a year or 2 ago and it's still up. :P

Edit 2: Looking at the game itself, the intro is very similar to the ones from those Yong Yong games, where a bunch of images appear interspliced with a white screen between them. And of course, like Street Heroes it has a fair bit of voice sampling, except it's stolen from Street Fighter II here. Given how horrible the graphics were in Yong Yong's games with a 2000 copyright date, they certainly didn't work on the graphics. However, I might be wrong but isn't the font on the game select screen the same one that used in SA7's game over screen? Saermie is clearly Iori from KoF, no idea why he's in there. The music also sounds less annoying, but the game seems to have the same sound glitches that Yong Yong's games have. BTW, since when did M.Bison fire hadokens? :lol:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 12:52:06 PM by Awesome Panda »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Street Fighter Zero 4
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 01:21:54 PM »
i guess one possibility is that Yong Yong actually did make all of Sachen's GBC games, but Sachen gave them the source code and music for the NES versions of Street Heroes & Jurassic Boy (or maybe they even took on extra staff members).. whereas for Thunder Blast Man they didnt have it, so they just built it around the Rockman 8 engine (hence it sucking). & then they reused the Street Heroes engine for Capcom vs SNK and Street Fighter Zero 4. I could see the graphics being theirs, anyway - aside from their earlier GBC games with weird palettes, most of their games don't look *that* bad. Digimon 4 looks pretty decent in stills, for instance. the horrible music and gameplay just drags everything else down.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 01:22:23 PM by taizou »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Street Fighter Zero 4
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 01:22:01 PM »
taizou
Nov 18 2010, 12:23:50 PM
theres definitely a connection between this, Street Heroes and Capcom vs SNK (vids: 1/2) - the VS screen music in Capcom vs SNK is a version of the intro music from the NES Street Heroes, even though its not used there in the GBC version. [/quote]Ooh, I was about to bring that game up as well, actually! I hadn't even noticed the music matching Street Heroes till you mentioned it, but I definitely noticed that it sounded... Sachen-y.
Cheetahmen
Nov 18 2010, 12:28:32 PM
However, I might be wrong but isn't the font on the game select screen the same one that used in SA7's game over screen?[/quote]Yep. It's also from Deluxe Paint, though, so that doesn't really say much-- Gamtec has used the same font in at least one game, if I recall.
Oh, I thought I'd noticed something unusual in the first vid of Capcom vs. SNK, but it was just an error on the video maker's part-- he showed the back of the Queen of Fighters box rather than the back of the Capcom vs. SNK one.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 01:30:21 PM by codeman38 »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Street Fighter Zero 4
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 01:31:37 PM »
taizou
Nov 18 2010, 01:21:54 PM
I could see the graphics being theirs, anyway - aside from their earlier GBC games with weird palettes, most of their games don't look *that* bad. Digimon 4 looks pretty decent in stills, for instance. the horrible music and gameplay just drags everything else down.[/quote]Yeah, but keep in mind that the later Pokémon and Digimon pirates by them didn't come out until after this game, and Pokémon Adventure, which came out in the same year, isn't that bad looking either but most of the graphics were stolen from Bonk's Adventure anyway. Some screens in SFZ4 are a noticeable step up from it as well like the "winner" screen.

RVVD4029

• Banned
    • View Profile
Street Fighter Zero 4
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 07:20:39 AM »
Taizou i am getting a bit curious about these king of fighters 2000/street heroes/street fighter zero 4 games. Because they all use the same sound effects. Also i have noticed something the sound effects in king of fighters 2000 don't really count because they are really pikachu's voice from pokemon yellow for gbc. I also hear sound effects from donkey kong 3 for nes. If you think about it it makes sense because donkey kong 3 for nes is called gorilla 3 in chinese countries. And pokemon yellow is called monsters yellow in chinese countries. I think king of fighters 2000 came first as they were allowed to make their game as long as yong yong's version had a different title screen. Sachen released the same game as street fighter zero 4 but translated the game to english i think. I think sachen's street heroes was released in the same year as street fighter zero 4 as they can't be bothered to release it later unless they release it at the start of the year 2002.
I know it is not related but the sound effects are really taken from dragon bowl for the arcade. Oddly enough the gameplay is also similar to that game.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 07:33:14 AM by RVVD4029 »