Author Topic: Hilarious "Super Micro Genius All-Stars" famiclone  (Read 4124 times)

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hilarious "Super Micro Genius All-Stars" famiclone
« on: November 26, 2010, 12:16:17 AM »
Just found this video review of a Micro Genius famiclone with some amazingly bizarre packaging:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYPhxRQqY90

I love this. The blatantly false claims (Mode 7 on an 8-bit system)! The utter ripoff of legitimate Nintendo properties! And a random picture of Sonic on the box too!

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 01:44:46 PM »
Heh, I actually watched that video about a week ago (while searching for Famiclones) and the box art is a complete ripoff of the one my SNES came in. (the one which was bundled with Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World) A few differences I noticed though (aside from the obvious) were that the box is black as opposed to green, (which is odd given that the console is green) the mentioning of 8-bit and that "901" label, I've got no idea what that means. It's a pity the guy didn't do a video on the games or anything, might ask him about that actually.

rommaster1991

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 01:45:29 PM »
I find it weird how the box has Mario everywhere on the box, but does not mention any Mario games included.    :lol:

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 02:44:33 PM »
Cheetahmen
Nov 26 2010, 01:44:46 PM
A few differences I noticed though (aside from the obvious) were that the box is black as opposed to green, (which is odd given that the console is green) the mentioning of 8-bit and that "901" label, I've got no idea what that means.[/quote]One of the Micro Genius famiclones had the model number IQ-901. Guessing it's probably a reference to that.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 03:45:11 PM »
codeman38
Nov 26 2010, 02:44:33 PM
Cheetahmen
Nov 26 2010, 01:44:46 PM
A few differences I noticed though (aside from the obvious) were that the box is black as opposed to green, (which is odd given that the console is green) the mentioning of 8-bit and that "901" label, I've got no idea what that means.[/quote]One of the Micro Genius famiclones had the model number IQ-901. Guessing it's probably a reference to that.[/quote]I'm not entirely sure about that myself. Most of these things have their ID in small print and I didn't see that on the box, and I didn't see a barcode on their either. The Ultra 8-Bit I have has a barcode with the ID on it so I really don't understand that. Then again, given how ridiculous the rest of the box is, I guess barcodes aren't a priority. :P

Edit: No it isn't, I found the real Micro Genius 901 here and it looks completely different, being a weird handheld Famiclone that plays analogue TV. (if that even exists anymore) Either that or both consoles have a 901 ID, which would be completely idiotic on Micro Genius' part.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 04:05:48 PM by Awesome Panda »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 04:37:11 PM »
Cheetahmen
Nov 26 2010, 03:45:11 PM
Edit: No it isn't, I found the real Micro Genius 901 here and it looks completely different, being a weird handheld Famiclone that plays analogue TV. (if that even exists anymore) Either that or both consoles have a 901 ID, which would be completely idiotic on Micro Genius' part.[/quote]that's if it was the same Micro Genius. the original company (the one that made the handheld IQ-901) was TXC, but I think the name passed to a HK/Chinese company at some point, and a Turkish company uses it now. so maybe one of the latter two made this one (TXC never copied shit *this* blatantly AFAIK, theyre too big to risk it). or it might even be a knockoff. It is still 100% awesome though.