Author Topic: Street Fighter II original Game Boy oddity??  (Read 1753 times)

fuschnikt

• View Profile
Street Fighter II original Game Boy oddity??
« on: September 26, 2014, 03:49:07 PM »
Hey there, forum. So, I recently game upon this very odd Game Boy cart. It came in a lot on ebay of standard games, but this sticks out in so many ways. I couldn't find any real explanation for it. Here is what I know. The logo on the label is for Street Fighter II Turbo. The image is from the Sega version of Street Fighter II Special Champion Edition, yet it carries a Nintendo logo. The game code is from Gex 2. The game on the cartridge is Street Fighter II, the Japanese version with the original names, i.e. the boxer is M. Bison. I could not find another version like this anywhere. The image is very well done, unlike some of the weird bootlegs I've seen. I'm just not sure what to make of it. Another subtle thing is that all of the details imprinted on the cart itself, the Gameboy logo, etc. are far more defined than any of my other old carts. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! -DG

Attachments:

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 05:26:12 PM »
That's interesting, I've never saw a pirate for this particular game. Although I don't understand why they would go through the trouble of making such an "official" looking fake label and not just copy the original one.

Thanks for sharing!

fuschnikt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 10:16:42 AM »
I was thinking just the same thing. Perplexing.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 05:55:18 PM »
since it post-dates the GBC, my guess would be they just downloaded the ROM from the internet and they didn't have access to the original artwork, so just put something together with whatever resources they could find.. Still a very professional-looking bootleg though.