Author Topic: MiWi Xtra (Waixing 16-bit console)  (Read 5432 times)

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
MiWi Xtra (Waixing 16-bit console)
« on: November 08, 2010, 02:39:06 AM »
I just found some videos just now posted by YouTube user EncoreEnterprisesLLC of the "MiWi Xtra", a 16-bit all-in-one unit which (at least judging from the copyright numbers) was made by Waixing.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nenvt92jX-8
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGGJ9-cTWg0
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAM5oGO16Ns

Part 1 is familiar-- it's all stuff from the Zone 40, including the "Hitting Mices" game with Donkey Kong music and Puzzle Bobble sounds. Though it is worth noting that in "Diamond" (yes, the Arkanoid clone), they misspelled the title as "Diamono" in the in-game HUD. Wonderful quality control there, guys.

Part 2, however, is where the really bizarre stuff starts, with a bunch of seemingly new games that may or may not be made by Waixing:
  • "Aqua Mix" uses the Chemical Brothers' "Block Rockin' Beats" as its title music. Have they no shame? (Also, it's a Puyo Puyo clone, something I haven't seen very often on these units.)
  • The title music from "Golden Gate" is rather catchy, and I'm sure it's stolen from somewhere. Just like the Puzzle Bobble voices. Again. Interesting variation of Pong, incidentally.
  • I know I've seen the 'real' version of "Hammer" before, but I can't remember what the actual title is. Hit the block, get the enemy to fall in it, then hit the enemy.
  • "Rugged Hammer", not to be confused with "Hammer". The title music sounds familiar, but I can't place it. And the in-game music... wow, Waixing, you suck at looping. :)
  • "Pro Crack". ::gigglesnort:: It's Pang! And there's that Golden Gate music again.
  • "Harry" is very similar to the puzzle game "Araiguma Rascal" for Super Famicom, which in turn is probably based on some other game I don't know about.
  • The developers didn't even bother to give a title to the game at 7:38.
  • "Smart Bomber"... wow, a new version of their Bomberman game. Sounds like an Amiga MOD for the music.
  • "Maze Pac". Because one Tetris clone (Square) wasn't good enough? And this one doesn't even have music.
  • I'm pretty sure the title songs of "Apex Gun" and "Farm Keeper" are both real songs-- I especially swear I've heard the former before.
  • I have no idea what the heck is going on in "Loop Legend". But whoever programmed the music was definitely not one. Also, they can't spell "scene".
  • Again, a tune from the '80s I know I've heard but cannot place for the life of me in "Pets Crossing". (Edit: It's very close to Bananarama's "I Heard A Rumour", but not an exact match.)

Edit: Part 3 (which I've added above) shows the same sports games that are on the Zone 40, essentially.

Edit #2: Given the shared sound effects (e.g., the Puzzle Bobble "ready...go!"), I would guess that the games in part 2 probably are by Waixing despite the lack of registration numbers. But I can't find them by name in the Chinese copyright database, either. So who knows.
Hm. I just discovered that the Miwi and Zone 40 are both produced by a company called Eittek - however, they definitely have some sort of deal with Waixing. Either Eittek builds the hardware and Waixing makes the software, or else Eittek just buys OEM items from Waixing.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 10:40:12 AM by codeman38 »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 01:19:50 PM »
I'll point out what I can see from here:

- The music in Highway kind of sounds like a 3 second loop of a Slipknot song or something. I doubt it's by them but it definitely sounds ripped off. Incidentally, the game itself is a complete ripoff of Road Fighter, complete with a few of the sound effects.
- Tank is a complete ripoff of Battle City, as you might have guessed already. :P
- Shudu, I wonder where I've seen this before. :P
- Square's title screen is ripped from BPS' Famicom port of Tetris.
- Edacity Snake's music is obviously a bad MIDI file, and I think we can all guess where the title screen is stolen from. :lol:
- The background for Boxes World is taken from Crash Bandicoot.
- Over Speed Racing is just Road Fighter in a different perspective, essentially.
- Bee Fighting is a blatant Galaga ripoff.
- Shooting Ballons? :lol:
- I doubt I'm right, but Hammer looks kind of like a bad remake of Lode Runner.
- The music in Smart Bomber definitely uses the Slap Bass 2 MIDI instrument.
- The sound effects in Maze Pac sound like they're taken from one of those penny arcade machines if you ask me.
- Fancy looks like a ripoff of the unlicensed NES game Krazy Kreatures.
- On Loop Legend, "Select Sence?" :P
- On the title screen of Tennis Exciting, the guy on the right looks like Roger Federer. Also, the music is ripped off but I can't remember where from. Definitely from an 80's rock band and that song's gonna be stuck in my head for days now. :lol:
- I'm sure I mentioned this before, but on Bowling, Daniel's portrait is actually Wallace Breen from Half Life 2.
- On Baseball, "Press Enter" even though Wii ripoffs aren't supposed to have an Enter button. :P

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 01:51:23 PM »
codeman38

Hm. I just discovered that the Miwi and Zone 40 are both produced by a company called Eittek - however, they definitely have some sort of deal with Waixing. Either Eittek builds the hardware and Waixing makes the software, or else Eittek just buys OEM items from Waixing.[/quote]i'd say its the latter. IIRC the Zone 40 has a sticker on it saying its made in Zhongshan, which is where Subor is based. and Subor is owned by Waixing (or something like that). i suppose Eittek might have a factory in Zhongshan too, but judging from some of the other shit on their website theyre probably just an exporter or something.

the games in part 2 are weird though - they kinda seem like they were made by entirely different people. though i suppose it could have been a separate team at Waixing or something.

oh yeah and Golden Gate is a ripoff of Battle Flip Shot for the Neo-Geo. :D

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 01:58:04 PM »
Heh, on Master Golf, "PUSH START TO NEXT". Reminds me of "PUSH START TO RICH".
taizou
Nov 8 2010, 01:51:23 PM
i'd say its the latter. IIRC the Zone 40 has a sticker on it saying its made in Zhongshan, which is where Subor is based. and Subor is owned by Waixing (or something like that). i suppose Eittek might have a factory in Zhongshan too, but judging from some of the other shit on their website theyre probably just an exporter or something.[/quote]Yeah, I was thinking the same, especially after I saw some of the "As Seen On TV" stuff that Eittek takes credit for. :D

taizou

the games in part 2 are weird though - they kinda seem like they were made by entirely different people. though i suppose it could have been a separate team at Waixing or something.[/quote]That's what I couldn't quite figure out-- they use the same sound effects and even some of the same music, so there's definitely commonality... but the graphic design is drastically different, more cartoony and less realistic.

Quote:

oh yeah and Golden Gate is a ripoff of Battle Flip Shot for the Neo-Geo. :D[/quote]Of course! I should've known they wouldn't actually go do something original. :P
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 02:11:11 PM by codeman38 »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 02:29:40 PM »
Is it just me or do those games in part 2 have a habit of stealing songs from elsewhere? Funnily enough, there's another system (can't find the video of it ATM) with the same sort of games as in the other parts and one of those games (some DDR ripoff) has Dancing Queen by Abba on it.

As for the Eittek website, it was apparently last updated in 2007 according to the main page and it shows one of those N64 controller ripoff Famiclones. Not sure if anyone else found this but there's a couple of pages of those particular Famiclones (including one with some weird penguin peripheral or something) and one of these is the Game Zone 128-in-1 which I really doubt is made by Waixing. Judging by that, I'd assume that Eittek are merely a distributor of Waixing's stuff, among other things.

kelvin donna

• Company Name: Satervest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 05:56:45 AM »
codeman38
Nov 8 2010, 02:39:06 AM
I just found some videos just now posted by YouTube user EncoreEnterprisesLLC of the "MiWi Xtra", a 16-bit all-in-one unit which (at least judging from the copyright numbers) was made by Waixing.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nenvt92jX-8
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGGJ9-cTWg0
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAM5oGO16Ns

Part 1 is familiar-- it's all stuff from the Zone 40, including the "Hitting Mices" game with Donkey Kong music and Puzzle Bobble sounds. Though it is worth noting that in "Diamond" (yes, the Arkanoid clone), they misspelled the title as "Diamono" in the in-game HUD. Wonderful quality control there, guys.

Part 2, however, is where the really bizarre stuff starts, with a bunch of seemingly new games that may or may not be made by Waixing:
  • "Aqua Mix" uses the Chemical Brothers' "Block Rockin' Beats" as its title music. Have they no shame? (Also, it's a Puyo Puyo clone, something I haven't seen very often on these units.)
  • The title music from "Golden Gate" is rather catchy, and I'm sure it's stolen from somewhere. Just like the Puzzle Bobble voices. Again. Interesting variation of Pong, incidentally.
  • I know I've seen the 'real' version of "Hammer" before, but I can't remember what the actual title is. Hit the block, get the enemy to fall in it, then hit the enemy.
  • "Rugged Hammer", not to be confused with "Hammer". The title music sounds familiar, but I can't place it. And the in-game music... wow, Waixing, you suck at looping. :)
  • "Pro Crack". ::gigglesnort:: It's Pang! And there's that Golden Gate music again.
  • "Harry" is very similar to the puzzle game "Araiguma Rascal" for Super Famicom, which in turn is probably based on some other game I don't know about.
  • The developers didn't even bother to give a title to the game at 7:38.
  • "Smart Bomber"... wow, a new version of their Bomberman game. Sounds like an Amiga MOD for the music.
  • "Maze Pac". Because one Tetris clone (Square) wasn't good enough? And this one doesn't even have music.
  • I'm pretty sure the title songs of "Apex Gun" and "Farm Keeper" are both real songs-- I especially swear I've heard the former before.
  • I have no idea what the heck is going on in "Loop Legend". But whoever programmed the music was definitely not one. Also, they can't spell "scene".
  • Again, a tune from the '80s I know I've heard but cannot place for the life of me in "Pets Crossing". (Edit: It's very close to Bananarama's "I Heard A Rumour", but not an exact match.)

Edit: Part 3 (which I've added above) shows the same sports games that are on the Zone 40, essentially.

Edit #2: Given the shared sound effects (e.g., the Puzzle Bobble "ready...go!"), I would guess that the games in part 2 probably are by Waixing despite the lack of registration numbers. But I can't find them by name in the Chinese copyright database, either. So who knows.
Hm. I just discovered that the Miwi and Zone 40 are both produced by a company called Eittek - however, they definitely have some sort of deal with Waixing. Either Eittek builds the hardware and Waixing makes the software, or else Eittek just buys OEM items from Waixing.[/quote]oh cool  :) , do you know where i can download this? :angry:
i hate all media of the world, so i just moved to eurasia.

fcgamer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 10:52:00 AM »
I had a chance to get one of these, but passed after seeing the word 16 bit.  Think I should go back and get it?

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 06:09:04 PM »
If it's cheap and you like dubious knockoff games, sure. I have a handheld with most of the same stuff and I have fun with it