Author Topic: The various versions of Poke Block  (Read 2789 times)

fcgamer

• View Profile
The various versions of Poke Block
« on: May 02, 2015, 01:46:03 PM »
I am trying to figure out about the various versions of the Idea-Tek game, Poke Block.  Here is what I know thus far:

Number Tiles versions:

-4 in 1 (MGC-26) version:  One of four games on a multicart, credits 1991 copyright screen with Idea-Tek as the owner.  Micro Genius was the publisher of this cart.

-Poke Block (MGC-12) version:  1991 copyright screen, Idea-Tek credited, published my Micro Genius

-Stakk'm (found on AVE's Maxi 15 cartridge):  American Video Entertainment is the publisher, TXC is the copyright owner, 1992 release

Mahjong Tiles versions:

AV Dragon Mahjang version:  Nudity added, 1991 copyright, published in Japan by Hacker International

Mahjong Block:  1991 copyright, Idea-Tek credited, as well as Super Mega (SM is the publisher, I guess)

Other Versions known to exist (contents unverified):

-MGC-023 (one game on a 6 in 1 cart by Micro Genius)

-MGC-008 (Mahjong Block) - published by Micro Genius

-MGC-004 (Pipe Block) - published by Micro Genius

The information about these three titles comes from the page below, but I don't know which version of the game they contain, along with if there are changes to the title screen credits or not.

http://cah4e3.shedevr.org.ru/cartsbase.php

Now my questions are as follows:  

(1)  Has anyone ever seen a Famicom version of Poke Block (number tiles version), which was PUBLISHED by Idea Tek?  The closest I have found is the Dragon Mahjong version by Super Mega, which had published several Idea Tek games.

(2)  Was the game ever released under the Stakk'm title on Famicom?  (I think probably not)

(3)  Does anyone have any pictures of either the title screen or cartridge for the infamous "Pipe Block" version of the game, which is mentioned on cah4e3's page?  Other than his note, I have not found anything on this version of the game.

Thanks!

On another note, I saw a picture from a Micro Genius console box that shows a version of Poke Block with Super Mega credited, as well as Idea-Tek.  This lends some credence to another version of the game being out there, with IT/SM as the publisher.  I have not found anything else besides a screenshot from a console box though.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 02:14:00 PM by fcgamer »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 06:38:31 AM »
I could be wrong, but judging by how the other 14 games on the Maxi 15 got stand-alone releases, I'm sure there was one for Stakk'm in the works that got scrapped. I doubt it would have been released under that name for the Famicom, AVE rebranded several of the games they published (like Sachen's Twin Eagle being renamed to Double Strike) and I'm pretty sure that's one of them.

Also, I'm sure you know this already but I should point out that AV Dragon Mahjang has a different soundtrack, which ended up being remixed for Miss Peach World.

fcgamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 12:00:37 PM »
Yes, there was a NES stand alone prototype of Stakk'm that has been found; originally the game was to be a stand alone (according to AVE instruction manuals), but then it ultimately just ended up being on the Maxi 15 cart.  It sounds like we are both of the belief that Stakk'm was only a localized name for the Western market, i.e. something created by the guys at AVE, and that a Famicom version with that name doesn't exist.

I still wonder about an Idea-Tek published version of Poke Block though, and regarding "Pipe Block", until I see pics, I think it is just a mistake.