Author Topic: Pirated Game Cross Stitch  (Read 4454 times)

missy-tannenbaum

• View Profile
Pirated Game Cross Stitch
« on: November 04, 2013, 12:43:59 PM »
Hello! I find pirated games to be fascinating, so I've lurked on this forum for a long time, but, until now, haven't posted anything due to a lack of technical know-how and a lack of anything insightful to say aside from that I think these games are cool. I am, however, capable of screenshot taking, image editing, and embroidery, so I've been able to use a lot of the graphics from these games for craft projects. The scaled down simplicity of the fighting game sprites in particular is really fun to work with, and though several of these projects feature recolors and, in one case, a few custom sprites, it's often just looking at the games or playing for a few minutes that makes me want to do something artsy and fun. I'm currently working on some stitching from the just posted Shenzhen Nanjing King of Fighters RPGs, but here are some of the pirated game craft projects that I've done so far.

I started learning about these games from an article about the Famicom version of Final Fantasy 7, so this recolored version of Aeris's portrait was my first project based on any of these games. She glows in the dark, so I guess that's something.

After that, I wanted to try something more ambitious, so I took the battle sprites for Aeris and Tifa, edited some of the blurry screenshots from the now reported to be fake Famicom FFX to get Yuna and Rikku's battle sprites into a stitchable form, and then made myself some custom sprites for Meena from Dragon Quest IV and Jessica from Dragon Quest VIII. This project still involved a lot of recoloring and custom stuff, but it was fun.

Soon after that, I found out that there were Famicom versions of King of Fighters, and that's when things got out of hand. This is a stitched (and still recolored) version of Leona's sprite from the King of Fighters '96 pirate-

-and a matching, but still recolored Mai, with her Game Boy counterpart. (Both of these are in alternate color schemes for the character because I'd done enough stitching of Mai to be sick of the standard red outfit.)

I did a lot of color editing on this one, but, as such, it's one of my favorite stitches from one of these games so far. The sprite is from the Fatal Fury Special pirate, which I think was much more flattering for her than the above game's depiction, and though I did add color to this like crazy, I was impressed by the shading and detail in the original graphic.

For Tracy here, I had some trouble getting Street Fighter IV screens due to flicker and such, so I have to thank King Pepe for ripping these sprites and putting them on Spriter's Resource. Then again, it was nice to stitch a character without having to huddle over the print screen button and image editors, so I have absolutely nothing to complain about in this case. I liked the color scheme that she had in Street Fighter IV, so she ended up avoiding a recolor.

I've done some perler bead stuff from pirated games, too, but I feel like this is out of hand, so I am done for now. Thank you very much for looking at my work!

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 02:11:02 PM »
Woah, amazing work there! :)

KingPepe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 08:24:48 PM »
Ooh, these are all pretty good! Also you're welcome about the sprite sheet. It was such a pain to get the sprites from that game. XP

missy-tannenbaum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 09:02:14 PM »
Thank you, to both of you, and I have to say, after trying to use real sprite ripping methods (rather than my usual wussy screenshot taking or letting Animget do it for me and then sorting things out later), I have nothing but respect for people who can actually pull the sprites out of games. The only game I've been able to get anything out of other than jumbled backgrounds and static on my own was Soul Falchion, and after I'd worked at it for three days and gotten half of Yuki-from-Last-Blade-but-with-a-turban's sprites, I decided that as far as getting my own sprites for crafting went, maybe the screenshot method was okay after all. Seriously, thank you for posting those sprites.

MLX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 03:26:56 AM »
Welcome!
They all look very good, keep the work up.

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 12:03:43 PM »
Oh, I recognize you!  These look very nice, keep up the good work! ;)

Smedis2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 09:12:54 PM »
Oh man, this.
Just.
THIS.

missy-tannenbaum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 12:38:34 PM »
Hello again, and thank you for all of the kind comments! On its own, this one is not so interesting, but as part of the eventual best/most deranged dorm room Christmas tree ever, it is going to be awesome. This is a stitching (and recoloring, just for a few details) of Athena and Chizuru's non-battle sprites from KOF R-1 and R-2! I'm probably going to make a few more of them from these games, but I have the map sprites from a few other pirated RPGs waiting to be stitched as well, so I am really not sure.

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
  • Cutting yourself is fun, as long as you're paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 02:30:30 AM »
Hey Missy, didn't expect you to be here! =)

...I definitely need to visit this place a bit more.

DalaGStanator

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 08:33:15 AM »
How'd you find the (original) Mai sprite from the KOF '96 pirate? She was one of the 13 unused characters, so I have no idea how you knew what her sprite looked like.