Author Topic: Are Sachens NTSC or PAL?  (Read 2597 times)

fcgamer

• View Profile
Are Sachens NTSC or PAL?
« on: July 05, 2013, 01:20:57 PM »
One of the members here had posted in their auction that a 72 pin Sachen game was PAL format; however, I have always been led to believe that the Sachen games are/were NTSC format.  Here is why:

-Sachen games were originally released on Famicom, and Famicom is NTSC format
-Many 72 pin Sachen games were just 60 pin Famicom Sachen boards slapped into cases with Famicom adapters
-During the early 2000s, the vast majority of those importing Sachen games (72 pin format) were from the States

So are Sachen games NTSC or PAL format?  Or did Sachen release the games in both formats?  Thoughts?

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
Are Sachens NTSC or PAL?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 01:33:59 PM »
1. It depends.  I had a NES reprint Little Red Hood game that was PAL format and I have two FC ones that are NTSC.  They're normally NTSC I believe but some regions might've gotten PAL variants (they're kinda mixed in Asia) so that's totally possible.  Maybe the first-print NES stuff with their own boxes were released in surrounding Asia areas that had Chinese NES systems (I think China had the NES system...)
2. The Sachen published NES games ARE 60-pin boards in converters, as mentioned on the wiki.  I've popped my games open and that's what they are.  The ones published elsewhere like Color Dreams were proper 72-pin boards.
3. Many people from the states imported them, but it wasn't just them.  Several Europeans were importing them too.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
Are Sachens NTSC or PAL?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 02:38:14 PM »
honestly i don't know, there is a PAL ROM of Magic Mathematic floating around which I guess is from HES's version - if there are any other PAL versions they probably come from HES too. My guess would be all of Sachen's own releases are designed for NTSC and just run slower on PAL, but its possible they made PAL optimised versions for PAL countries too...

fcgamer

• View Profile
Are Sachens NTSC or PAL?
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 09:58:08 AM »
Star-Spangled Shazam
Jul 5 2013, 01:33:59 PM
1. It depends.  I had a NES reprint Little Red Hood game that was PAL format and I have two FC ones that are NTSC.  They're normally NTSC I believe but some regions might've gotten PAL variants (they're kinda mixed in Asia) so that's totally possible.  Maybe the first-print NES stuff with their own boxes were released in surrounding Asia areas that had Chinese NES systems (I think China had the NES system...)
2. The Sachen published NES games ARE 60-pin boards in converters, as mentioned on the wiki.  I've popped my games open and that's what they are.  The ones published elsewhere like Color Dreams were proper 72-pin boards.
3. Many people from the states imported them, but it wasn't just them.  Several Europeans were importing them too.[/quote]1.  If the games are all Famicom carts slapped into converters, would it even be possible to make it into a PAL version?  Is there any such thing as a PAL Famicom game?  

Even the countries that received the Sachen 72 pin games originally (some were PAL countries) had the habit of importing some NTSC NES games and just running them on their machines, albeit at a different rate.  This can basically be confirmed.

2.  Does anyone know for sure if ALL of these games are just Famicom games with adapters?  I only owned one of the NES versions, and that was a long time ago and I don't recall if I ever opened it or not...we are talking something like ten years ago!  Of course the Color Dreams games would be in NTSC format, just like the HES games would be in PAL.  But those were just published by those companies, sp I imagine they did whatever work necessary to make the games ready to publish in their countries.

3.  I remember when the whole importing thing went down, I was there.  I didn't import any, but the biggest players in that whole deal were from America.  There was one collector from New York who comes to mind, as well as a few other collectors, whose names I also recall.  As for European collectors importing, I can think of one off the top of my head, and maybe a second one.  But afaik, these guys did not import near the quantity that those other guys did.

taizou
Jul 5 2013, 02:38:14 PM
honestly i don't know, there is a PAL ROM of Magic Mathematic floating around which I guess is from HES's version - if there are any other PAL versions they probably come from HES too. My guess would be all of Sachen's own releases are designed for NTSC and just run slower on PAL, but its possible they made PAL optimised versions for PAL countries too...[/quote]This is what I would be led to believe as well.  

Rather curious to hear more about Shazam's Little Red Hood PAL version, Sachen release.  Could be just the HES version (at some point, HES had been publishing their games in Sachen cases, and just made their own boxes) housed in a reprint box.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 10:00:01 AM by fcgamer »

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
Are Sachens NTSC or PAL?
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 10:37:50 AM »
fcgamer
Jul 6 2013, 09:58:08 AM
1.  If the games are all Famicom carts slapped into converters, would it even be possible to make it into a PAL version?  Is there any such thing as a PAL Famicom game?  

Even the countries that received the Sachen 72 pin games originally (some were PAL countries) had the habit of importing some NTSC NES games and just running them on their machines, albeit at a different rate.  This can basically be confirmed.

2.  Does anyone know for sure if ALL of these games are just Famicom games with adapters?  I only owned one of the NES versions, and that was a long time ago and I don't recall if I ever opened it or not...we are talking something like ten years ago!  Of course the Color Dreams games would be in NTSC format, just like the HES games would be in PAL.  But those were just published by those companies, sp I imagine they did whatever work necessary to make the games ready to publish in their countries.

[...]

Rather curious to hear more about Shazam's Little Red Hood PAL version, Sachen release.  Could be just the HES version (at some point, HES had been publishing their games in Sachen cases, and just made their own boxes) housed in a reprint box.[/quote]I've opened up my copy of Jurassic Boy 2, Huge Insect, Tasac, Q-Boy, and Jovial Race and all except Huge Insect were 60-pin boards with a converter; Huge Insect was a proper 72-pin board.

Sadly, my copy of Little Red Hood was sold off a week or so ago to get money for more interesting games (such as a sample cart of Magical Doropie I came across recently).  From what I remembered of it, it was all Sachen published.  The box, cart, manual, everything.  It did have one of those switches at the top (that say "Old, New, and Adaptor") which is part of the converter they used.

They might've used the HES version for their reprints seeing as (to my knowledge) it would be the latest revision.  It could've been half and half for all I know; the first batch were regular FC games they caniballized into NES carts, then the later reprints were the PAL HES version they stuffed into pre-existing boards after they used up all of their pre-existing stock of Famicom releases.  For example, my Famicom copy of Locksmith has a Little Red Hood label under it.

The guy I got Little Red Hood from was in the U.K., if that adds to anything at all.