Author Topic: Why can't we dump Yong Yong games?  (Read 5067 times)

Picrodus

• View Profile
Why can't we dump Yong Yong games?
« on: June 26, 2013, 04:28:17 PM »
Is it because of copy protection or is it because we don't want to? Also if games like Pokemon diamond special pikachu edition were to be dumped, would someone be able to get it to go past the first stage?

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 04:32:31 PM »
A: We can't dump them due to the protection on them.  Some people have tried dumping them but they've been having trouble.

B: You could hack it to take you to the other stages, assuming the other stages are stable enough programming-wise to run after the changes were made.

Picrodus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 04:48:01 PM »
Yeah, I also remember that Pokemon adventure was dumped. Does that mean someone somewhere got past the copy protection? And what about when it's on a multi cart? I remember taizou saying he had Pokemon diamond special pikachu edition on a multi cart, would that make any difference in dumping?

(Oh, and I realize that I accidentaly posted this in the bootleg bazaar. No idea why, but I meant it for the game boy section. I would appreciate it if an admin moved it. Thanks.)

KAGE-008

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Starlink3854
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 04:55:12 PM »
Star-Spangled Shazam
Jun 26 2013, 04:32:31 PM
A: We can't dump them due to the protection on them.  Some people have tried dumping them but they've been having trouble.[/quote]That's the same issue with some Li Cheng and SKOB games. FFIX will HARDLY see the light as a ROM.

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 06:01:45 PM »
Please can you guys stop asking silly questions like this? This stuff takes time. :( Y'know, if you wanna play it so badly just check on eBay every once in a while. Makon games aren't that difficult to come across.

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 06:06:00 PM »
Picrodus
Jun 26 2013, 04:48:01 PM
Yeah, I also remember that Pokemon adventure was dumped. Does that mean someone somewhere got past the copy protection? And what about when it's on a multi cart? I remember taizou saying he had Pokemon diamond special pikachu edition on a multi cart, would that make any difference in dumping?[/quote]I dunno who dumped the Pokemon Adventure game or how, same goes for the other unlicensed games.  They might've been dumped by people long ago who stopped doing stuff for the community (or are in a different region from most of us).  And something being on a multi doesn't guarantee a dump; hence why Zook Hero Z, Digimon Pocket, and Soul Falchion from the V.Fame multis haven't seen a dump yet.  I wouldn't worry about Makon stuff so much when there's far more interesting (and better) games we could be working on dumping.

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 06:09:43 PM »
Oh, Pokemon Adventure was released by Rapid Fire I believe. http://www.advanscene.com/html/Releases/dbrelgbc.php?id=0874
Anyway, what Shazam said.

KAGE-008

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Starlink3854
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 06:14:20 PM »
(disregard this post, please.)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 06:24:37 PM by KAGE-008 »

Picrodus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 06:34:41 PM »
Xanver
Jun 26 2013, 06:01:45 PM
Please can you guys stop asking silly questions like this? This stuff takes time. :( Y'know, if you wanna play it so badly just check on eBay every once in a while. Makon games aren't that difficult to come across.[/quote]I already have Pokemon diamond special pikachu edition. And I have heard how hard it is to crack copy protection. I was just wondering if there were ways around it like dumping from multi carts or something. The only reason I would want them dumped anyway would be to play the ones that stop after the first stage all the way through.  :)

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 06:37:36 PM »
Well, you can't really change that first stage thing, it's a terrible programming error of sorts. Also, dumping Makon multicart versions are exactly identical to single carts, so it wouldn't make a difference really.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 07:38:36 PM »
i honestly dont mind people asking why things can't be dumped/emulated (as opposed to, you know "hurry up and dump it i want it now"), it can be interesting...

anyway, yeah, Makon games are mostly copy protected .. the protection varies between the early games and later ones, but as Xanver said theyre always (in my experience) identical on multicarts. But if you look at some of the existing Chinese dumps of their Digimon games where they have non-working and fixed dumps, and compare the two, you can see a *lot* was changed - its not a trivial fix.

as for Pokemon Adventure, I have a copy of that from 2001 with no copy protection whatsoever, so I guess thats where the ROM came from.
also the first stage thing I assume would be bypassable with a level skip cheat.. the engines are probably similar enough that you could make a cheat using one of the working ones and it might work on the others. (though if you were wondering I've never been able to get a Makon game to work with a cheat cart on real hardware, they seem to protect against *that* too)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 07:41:52 PM by taizou »

Superjustinbros

• View Profile
    • http://superjustintheblog.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 06:51:57 PM »
This post by Qiezei on another thread got me thinking that part of the copyright protection may be tied to the edited "Nintendo" logos in the boot ROM.

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 06:56:32 PM »
Except Makon never used bootlogos. :S

Superjustinbros

• View Profile
    • http://superjustintheblog.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 12:56:46 AM »
Xanver
Jun 28 2013, 06:56:32 PM
Except Makon never used bootlogos. :S[/quote]In that case I suppose there's more to it than just boot logos.

Chowdit1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 05:27:24 PM »
RobGBA
Jun 26 2013, 06:01:45 PM
Please can you guys stop asking silly questions like this? This stuff takes time. :( Y'know, if you wanna play it so badly just check on eBay every once in a while. Makon games aren't that difficult to come across.[/quote]They are for me. D:
Star-Spangled Shazam
Jun 26 2013, 06:06:00 PM
Picrodus
Jun 26 2013, 04:48:01 PM
Yeah, I also remember that Pokemon adventure was dumped. Does that mean someone somewhere got past the copy protection? And what about when it's on a multi cart? I remember taizou saying he had Pokemon diamond special pikachu edition on a multi cart, would that make any difference in dumping?[/quote]I dunno who dumped the Pokemon Adventure game or how, same goes for the other unlicensed games.  They might've been dumped by people long ago who stopped doing stuff for the community (or are in a different region from most of us).  And something being on a multi doesn't guarantee a dump; hence why Zook Hero Z, Digimon Pocket, and Soul Falchion from the V.Fame multis haven't seen a dump yet.  I wouldn't worry about Makon stuff so much when there's far more interesting (and better) games we could be working on dumping.[/quote]Oh come on. I would greatly appreciate it. >:(
taizou
Jun 26 2013, 07:38:36 PM
i honestly dont mind people asking why things can't be dumped/emulated (as opposed to, you know "hurry up and dump it i want it now"), it can be interesting...

anyway, yeah, Makon games are mostly copy protected .. the protection varies between the early games and later ones, but as Xanver said theyre always (in my experience) identical on multicarts. But if you look at some of the existing Chinese dumps of their Digimon games where they have non-working and fixed dumps, and compare the two, you can see a *lot* was changed - its not a trivial fix.

as for Pokemon Adventure, I have a copy of that from 2001 with no copy protection whatsoever, so I guess thats where the ROM came from.
also the first stage thing I assume would be bypassable with a level skip cheat.. the engines are probably similar enough that you could make a cheat using one of the working ones and it might work on the others. (though if you were wondering I've never been able to get a Makon game to work with a cheat cart on real hardware, they seem to protect against *that* too)[/quote]Maybe that's why my GameShark got messed up back then. Dammit Yong Yong with your horrible programming. >_<
But, I'm wondering, what happens if it turns out to be copy protected? Plus also, how do you do the process of a ROM dump? Could somebody explain the whole thing?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 05:37:20 PM by Chowdit1 »