Author Topic: Ex-Sachen devs related to Lion King II?  (Read 2252 times)

MLX

• View Profile
Ex-Sachen devs related to Lion King II?
« on: June 19, 2013, 10:53:42 AM »
http://bootleggames.wikia.com/wiki/The_Lion_King_II

The font used for "Push Start Button" is the same as the one in China Rabbit Baby for "Push Start" ("Push" again !), The Dragon (both by EHY team). It was also seen in some Makon game.
All these developers being linked to Sachen (and likely the guy which ran makon was part of that team). I think it's used in some other games but I forgot which.

So this game *could* have been developed by them or at least some.

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 12:12:55 PM »
Pff, wow! I suppose the dates would make sense. 1998 was the year when Sonic 3D Blast 5 was released. Maybe the developers worked on actually GOOD Mega Drive games, and then decided to screw people with terrible Game Boy stuff? Maybe..

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 04:45:36 PM »
nah im like 98% sure it was made by Gamtec. The fonts are from DeluxePaint and they show up in tons of stuff from the era - even Hummer used them sometimes. And licensed games.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 08:59:49 PM »
Yeah, it's totally the "Naples" font from DeluxePaint.

(I really need to make screenshots of all the DPaint fonts one of these days. I even managed to sort of reverse-engineer the font format and write a script that renders all the characters...)

I could've sworn there was a video of the game's ending sequence on YouTube, but I can't find it-- anyway, all the credits are Gamtec-affiliated folks, including Hong Ji-min and Lin Cui-e. (Edited to add: The Chinese characters for the credits can even be seen in a tile editor, albeit somewhat scrambled around, at location 0xC4890. This is how I confirmed Hong and Lin.)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 09:10:58 PM by codeman38 »