Pirate Discussion > BootlegGames Wiki

Moving from Wikia to another host

<< < (2/3) > >>

Y2K05:
I actually did think about the ShoutWiki/Orain longevity problem itself. I think hosting Bootleg-Games would best for the wiki. You can try and contact someone to see if they'd do it for you (Porplemontage, for example, pays for hosting many NIWA wikis & Jake does it with Wikisimpsons).

Do you guys think this is a valid discussion too? (and yes, I dislike ShoutWiki's Aurora skin, except I can read the article easier than with Oasis on Wikia.)

taizou:
Y2K05Jan 3 2015, 08:46:57 PMI actually did think about the ShoutWiki/Orain longevity problem itself. I think hosting Bootleg-Games would best for the wiki. You can try and contact someone to see if they'd do it for you (Porplemontage, for example, pays for hosting many NIWA wikis & Jake does it with Wikisimpsons).

Do you guys think this is a valid discussion too? (and yes, I dislike ShoutWiki's Aurora skin, except I can read the article easier than with Oasis on Wikia.)

[/quote]well the hosting part wouldnt be a huge problem, i can definitely do it myself if necessary (i have a VPS i'm barely using which should be fine for the wiki) - it's mostly the other stuff, ie that moving all the content (including images) would be a ton of effort, and that we'd end up with a fragmented community because the old wiki would still be around. it is definitely a valid discussion - like i said we have talked about it in the past - i'm just not sure if it's worth it at this point.

Y2K05:
Well, Super Smash Bros. Wiki (http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com) has forked over to SmashWiki (http://ssbwiki.com), and the forked wiki is successful. It is possible for forked wikis to be successful.

And if the wiki does fork, I'll see what I can do to help out. But yeah, I agree with your points, mostly the latter.

pichichi010:
I can pay for hosting forever.

Let me know if you want to do it self hosted.

Also I think I can help migrate etc. Even bring more traffic.

Y2K05:
Hi there. It's nice to hear your input. I think that you need to bring that conversation up with taizou or some of the other admins.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version