Author Topic: Super Mario DX for GBA  (Read 25749 times)

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2013, 09:57:17 AM »
Well, judging by what I've seen (Fighter Sonic going for £12, Harry Potter IV going with some other games for £40), if they know or have suspicions, it goes at a pretty high price. :(
EDIT: Pff never mind, it seems it has an 'M5005' ID. D:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 10:04:52 AM by Robbi »

Superjustinbros

• View Profile
    • http://superjustintheblog.blogspot.com/
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2013, 05:32:47 PM »
Sintax loves giving their games numbers, don't 'cha think?

Picrodus

• View Profile
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2013, 12:41:19 AM »
Guys, the first multi cart image shows a game in the bottom left corner that says it's super Mario dx! Take a look!
http://a.m.taobao.com/i12243169728.htm?sid=9f97a2c9bf413503&pds=fromauc%23h%23shop    Could it be the one we are looking for? =O
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 12:42:21 AM by Picrodus »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2013, 08:55:25 AM »
on a multicart? unlikely. i mean, not *impossible*, but unlikely. Its probably the NES romhack of the same name running in PocketNES.

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2013, 10:51:11 AM »
Yeah, I bet it's just that ROM hack with slightly improved graphics. :\ My GBA multi has that.

Doomkid

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.ws/doomkid/
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2013, 12:15:36 PM »
Okay, so I'm really late to the party... But man, that music in Mario DX is seriously screwed, especially the bit at 5:30, euck. It just sustains a note that sounds like an old cumpter dying. It's a shame, the actual tune itself doesnt seem too bad if it wasn't butchered up so badly.

As far as gameplay, there's not much to say besides that it looks pretty awful to control. Mario's physics are so crucial, and it's what pirates always get wrong... Super Mario World NES with the yusuplaz game genie code is the only thing even close to 'acceptable' i've seen so far.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2013, 02:28:50 PM »
Faceplant
Mar 23 2013, 12:15:36 PM
Okay, so I'm really late to the party... But man, that music in Mario DX is seriously screwed, especially the bit at 5:30, euck. It just sustains a note that sounds like an old cumpter dying. It's a shame, the actual tune itself doesnt seem too bad if it wasn't butchered up so badly.[/quote]yeah the music is decent, it was originally composed by Vast Fame. its just that they handed it off to Sintax who couldn't program the GBA for shit and it ended up kinda glitchy.

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2013, 02:34:10 PM »
Hmm, I sorta think Sintax traded their GBA SDK to Vast Fame in return for the Soul Falchion music. Just a thought though.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2013, 03:09:37 PM »
I don't think Vast Fame would have any use for that shit really. They were making their own GBA games in 2002-3 when Sintax was only just starting on the GBC.

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2013, 04:03:12 PM »
Oh. :lol: Disregard what I said then.

fcgamer

• View Profile
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2013, 07:24:37 PM »
I personally find it interesting that around the time Vast Fame was getting out of the Gameboy industry, Sintax was moving into the Gameboy industry, with a brief overlap period. The overlap period would be when Sintax used stuff programmed by the mysterious BBD folks. Then they moved to Taichung from China to continue operations, and grabbed parts of the Vast Fame team, to continue churning out games.  Just some of the thoughts that have been rolling around in my head.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2013, 07:39:45 PM »
They were all linked to Gamtec in some way so they probably shared staff/resources at times, at least when they were both in Taichung.. something similar seemed to be going on with Chuanpu and Gamtec on the Mega Drive. I personally doubt any Vast Fame people went with Sintax to China though - it seems like a lot of their games post-BBD were just variations on the BBD stuff, so they probably didn't have many developers on staff at all until a bit later on (2004-5ish?) when I guess they got a new team together.

fcgamer

• View Profile
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2013, 07:50:53 PM »
taizou
Mar 23 2013, 07:39:45 PM
They were all linked to Gamtec in some way so they probably shared staff/resources at times, at least when they were both in Taichung.. something similar seemed to be going on with Chuanpu and Gamtec on the Mega Drive. I personally doubt any Vast Fame people went with Sintax to China though - it seems like a lot of their games post-BBD were just variations on the BBD stuff, so they probably didn't have many developers on staff at all until a bit later on (2004-5ish?) when I guess they got a new team together.[/quote]I feel that the wiki is wrong, and that Sintax did their operations in China first.  

Or another thought is that they outsourced some stuff to China, while remaining based in Taichung.  Because I know for a fact that their later stuff was done, while the company was based in Taichung.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 07:51:59 PM by fcgamer »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2013, 08:00:47 PM »
Well they were definitely in Taichung way before they started releasing GB games (they published some educational software on the PC in the late 90s), but yeah they could have kept the Taichung office as their HQ while using China for distribution or whatever (or to keep themselves at arms length from the copyright holders I guess).

just curious, how do you know they were still based in Taichung for the later stuff, though?

fcgamer

• View Profile
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2013, 08:42:57 PM »
taizou
Mar 23 2013, 08:00:47 PM
Well they were definitely in Taichung way before they started releasing GB games (they published some educational software on the PC in the late 90s), but yeah they could have kept the Taichung office as their HQ while using China for distribution or whatever (or to keep themselves at arms length from the copyright holders I guess).

just curious, how do you know they were still based in Taichung for the later stuff, though?[/quote]Well that is quite simple, just look at the boxes.  The original Sintax games (2002ish) do not have any address on the back of the box (I should check and see if I can find an address in the manual).  On the games they release in 2003, they list an address on the back of their boxes, and it is in China. That is, until November of 2003. At that point, the address switches to one in Taichung.

All of the Sintax Gameboy Advance games I have, have a Taichung address printed on the back. As added proof, I own a handful of Sintax games (titles released prior to November 2003) which contain the Sintax China address; however, there is a small printed sticker covering up the China address, and it has their Taichung address posted on it.  Obviously, these were extras, and Sintax put the printed stickers to update their address on the boxes.

Between the printed stickers and the Taichung address on all of their later stuff, it shows me that they had been in Taichung and not China throughout their later years.  Parts of their original catalogue (some of the stuff shared by SKOB via BBD) has the stickers as well, so it suggests to me that their BBD stuff was done while they were in China, yet their newer stuff was done in Taichung.