Author Topic: Kirby's Super Star pirate  (Read 6588 times)

Azathoth

• View Profile
Kirby's Super Star pirate
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 12:41:10 PM »
codeman38
Jul 12 2011, 10:59:16 PM
Edit: ...Come to think of it, I recall having this discussion in the past, and I seem to recall that this ROM didn't work on a flash cart either, though it does run fine in emulators other than HazeMD.[/quote]Oh but it does work properly on flash carts.  :wub: It does reset to the title screen after the battle ends.

If it boots in Kega/Gens/whatever, then the copy protection has been removed. You sir, are the YONG YONG. Thanks a ton for sharing this.

Let me just fully derail the topic and as if you've found a working copy of Battle of Red Cliffs? If so then I won't continue to pull my hair out trying to crack this dump I just made.

Also, could this be from the same group behind Chinese Fighter III? The title screen menu using the same minimalistic font, and the flame background on the character select screen is exactly the same.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 12:53:31 PM by Azathoth »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 01:05:35 PM »
Azathoth
Jul 13 2011, 12:41:10 PM
Let me just fully derail the topic and as if you've found a working copy of Battle of Red Cliffs? If so then I won't continue to pull my hair out trying to crack this dump I just made.[/quote]Unfortunately, no-- the only copy I've seen is the one in the weird encrypted MDX format. I need to take a look at Gens32 Surreal's source code to see just how it manages to decrypt it. (Edit: Oh, wait, Gens32 isn't open-source unlike its parent program, apparently...)

Edit: If this is any help, I got something vaguely runnable by XORing every byte in the .mdx file by 0x40 a while back... but it doesn't get past the title screen. But there's definitely an XOR involved in there somewhere.

Azathoth

Also, could this be from the same group behind Chinese Fighter III? The title screen menu using the same minimalistic font, and the flame background on the character select screen is exactly the same.[/quote]Probably so. The font is from PC Paint (but of course!), and the sound driver in both games is from High Seas Havoc. I'd guess that both games were probably developed by ex-Chuanpu people.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 01:10:37 PM by codeman38 »

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 02:20:52 PM »
Just so you know, Barver picked me up a copy of it a while back. The cart itself bypasses the licensing screen so it has some type of strange TMSS thing going on. It won't boot properly on original hardware, it only works on clone systems and a Nomad(!). The dump I made loads fine in any emulator or flash cart but doesn't display the opening demo, it just plays the BGM, then when you reach the titlescreen you're unable to actually press start. If you've got any ideas about cracking it PM me.