Author Topic: Info on a few pirate hacks?  (Read 9872 times)

Azathoth

• View Profile
Info on a few pirate hacks?
« on: May 05, 2011, 11:52:45 PM »
If any of these have been discussed already, forgive my ignorance. I'm just cutting and pasting a lists from a few forums and other places, along with some possible answers. I have seen nothing, not even a screenshot, of these listed.

Basically looking for any information about these hacks; are they dumped, does anyone own or have played them, are they anything beyond a simple title screen hack, etc. Anything that is confirmed I'll update the list as time progresses. Maybe some of these needed to be added on the Wiki undumped list?

No info...
Biohazard 3 -> (?)
Copa Mundial Alemania 2006 -> (?)
Futbol Argentino 2006 -> (?)
Ice Age 3 -> Chuck Rock  (?)
Kung Fu Panda 1 -> (?)
Pirates of Caribbean 2 -> Uncharted Waters (?)
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers 3 -> Possibly MMPR: The Fighting Edition (?)

Title screen / cut scene hacks
Counter Strike -> Lethal Enforcers
FIFA World Cup 2002 -> World Championship Soccer II
FIFA 2003 -> FIFA Soccer 95
Futbol Argentino 98 - Pasion de Multitudes -> FIFA Soccer '95 + Spanish language
Jurassic Park 3 -> Jurassic Park: The Lost World
Lord of the Rings 2 -> Stormlord
Metal Gear Solid -> Crackdown + Russian language
NBA 2000 -> NBA Action '95
NBA 2005 - NBA Action '95
Need for Speed Undercover -> Outrun Turbo
NHLPA 2003 -> NHL 98
Pirates of Caribbean -> New Horizons: Uncharted Waters 2 + Russian language
Pirates of Caribbean 3 -> Cutthroat Island + Russian language
Ronaldinho Soccer 98 -> ISS Deluxe + Portugese language
Star Wars -> Eliminate Down
Super Robot Wars -> Target Earth
Terminator 3 -> T2: Arcade Game

Sprite / level hacks
Cars -> Super Skidmarks + Russian language
Cars 2 ->
Finding Nemo -> James Pond
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets -> Mick and Mack: Global Gladiators
Ice Age -> Awesome Possum + Russian language
The Incredibles -> The Tick
Monster's Inc. -> Decapattack + Russian language
Madagascar ->Magical Hat no Buttobi Turbo! Daibouken
Madagascar 3 -> We're Back: A Dinosaur's Tale
Naruto -> 3 Ninjas Kick Back
Open Season -> Rolo To The Rescue + Russian language
Shrek -> Yogi Bear Cartoon Capers  
Shrek 2 -> Ottifants
Spongebob Squarepants -> Cool Spot  

Originals
Truco Argentino 96
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 04:27:13 PM by Azathoth »

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 01:52:00 AM »
I'm pretty sure those are all sprite/title hacks. I remember finding Spongebob on Newgame's site:

http://www.newgame.ru/catalog/products/cartridges_sega_16_bit_in_russian/sponge_bob_%2C/

I always wondered what game it was a hack of, especially with the description which google gives as this..

"In an adventure game Sponge Bob gets a mysterious message from which learns that he has a brother. In search of his brothers he will go through a difficult test full of dangers and interesting riddles"

makes sense now since I think the story of Cool Spot was some guy kidnapped all of Spot's brothers/friends.

Also, I've seen screenshots of a few of these games. I don't have the link anymore, but there was a Russian site I found some time ago that was dumping a lot of them. I remember seeing one of the Shrek ones, the sprite they drew was pretty bad.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 01:52:21 AM by Barver »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 10:33:13 AM »
Here's the Russian site that has the dumps of some of these:
http://rufiles.narod.ru/page1.htm

One that's not in the list is "Harry Potter and the Cham Ber of Secrets" [sic!], which is actually Mick & Mack.
And here's video footage of Shrek 2, albeit with music and commentary dubbed over:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moXj4bk7OY4
Yep, that's definitely a very badly-drawn hack of Ottifants.
From the same YouTube poster, an extremely blurry video of a "Madagascar" hack:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl-WddYj_3Q

Appears to be "Magical Hat", the game that was turned Darker and Edgier as "Decap Attack" outside of Japan.

Edit: Might be his own ROM hack, rather than a retail one-- he's loading "Magical Hat" on the computer at the beginning. But it's nonetheless definitely being flashed to real MD hardware.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 10:55:50 AM by codeman38 »

Ninja-Kun

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 11:07:27 AM »
I don't think Truco Argentino can be a hack of anything, since Truco is a Argentine card game to start with.

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 02:33:12 PM »
Thanks for all the information. Updated list to reflect confirmed stuff.

I had no idea Glorysun was responsible for so much of this.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 02:38:25 PM »
I think if LotR 3 is anything to go by, Glorysun seem to be responsible for hacks and nothing more.

Yawackhary

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 06:59:21 PM »
Ronaldinho Soccer 98 is a hack of ISS Deluxe, it's been dumped in GoodGen for years now. It seems to change the players names, logos and teams (possibly changing the language to Portuguese as well).

I'll imagine all the other unknown soccer/football games are hacks of either that or the FIFA series considering that the are the more known ones. In fact early Russian hacks of FIFA 99 and FIFA 2000 are hacks of 96 and 97.

As for Jurassic Park 3, I just searched for that and it is in a Russian translation torrent. It seems to be Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition translated into Russian by New Game (technically though Rampage Edition is the 2nd developed game on the Mega Drive, Lost World came out much later).

I just checked New Game's website and it seems that Lost World is Jurassic Park 3. I'm confused now...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 07:11:20 PM by Yawackhary »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 07:07:53 PM »
Yawackhary
May 7 2011, 06:59:21 PM
I'll imagine all the other unknown soccer/football games are hacks of either that or the FIFA series considering that the are the more known ones. In fact early Russian hacks of FIFA 99 and FIFA 2000 are hacks of 96 and 97.[/quote]Speaking of those, Futbol Argentino 98  - Pasion de Multitudes is basically FIFA 95 translated into Spanish and the teams being replaced with those from the Argentinian football leagues. (And the rest of South America, I think. I was always more knowledgable on the English football leagues myself) What's especially funny is that they left the credits in on the title screen.

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 02:14:29 AM »
Came across several price lists from Russian wholesalers and found some new games/hacks I was unaware of. Attached is one of the original spreadsheets in MS Excel format.

Updated first post to include Kung Fu Panda, Contra III, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers 3, and whatever else I hadn't saw before. Also updated the undumped games list on the wiki with appropriate links.

Attachments:

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 07:24:41 AM »
Pity you can't actually buy from Russia with PayPal. <_<

iniche

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 11:53:48 PM »
Azatoth, where did you read about the Midnight Resistance hack which has Contra III material in it?

A friend spoke to me about it. He said that many mega drive carts have the Contra III label, but it's just an essentially unmodified version of Midnight Resistance, with no use of Contra III material in-game.

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 12:15:28 AM »
I haven't actually seen the cart itself or screenshots.

In the past couple days I came across several wholesale lists from Russian distributors as well as Russian auction sites that sold their games in lots of 100+ carts. A couple had the title "Contra III" listed and it was always followed in parenthesis by Midnight Resistance.

ThunderBlastMan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 06:46:02 PM »
That Russian NEW GAME site has alot of bootleg stuff like some pirated games and famiclones http://www.newgame.ru/catalog/products/game_consoles_dandy/ but i managed to find some unlicenced SEGA games there such as Cars, Bugs Life, Super Mario Bros (Squirrel King Hack), Donkey Kong, and many more the site has to offer.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 06:49:35 PM »
Heh, I'd probably buy half of the stuff on there if Russia allowed PayPal.

ThunderBlastMan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 06:57:49 PM »
Well, they probably can allow because they would probably translate money from one country to another. i have google chrome so it would translate the Russian text instantly than take time and try to see what they say.
also i was reading their genesis clones and they keep saying for the games in Russia. so i think they change the regular text in games or keep it.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 07:02:22 PM by ThunderBlastMan »