Author Topic: Shi Kong Xing Shou - Galactic Beasts/Space Time Star Beast  (Read 51884 times)

Superjustinbros

• View Profile
    • http://superjustintheblog.blogspot.com/
Shi Kong Xing Shou - Galactic Beasts/Space Time Star Beast
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2013, 04:52:22 PM »
MefistaCenobica
Jan 27 2013, 12:14:38 AM
Awesome XD *I am not friday the 13th fan,but just like that sort of references*
I put him into my sig on serebiiforums after reading that walkthrough for the 1st time:
[/quote]Ha, this is pretty good. :D

MefistaCenobica

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2013, 03:53:11 PM »
thanks)

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2013, 04:13:49 PM »
Superjustinbros
Feb 18 2013, 04:52:22 PM
MefistaCenobica
I put him into my sig on serebiiforums after reading that walkthrough for the 1st time:
[/quote]Ha, this is pretty good. :D [/quote]This is off topic, but your Sonic Dragon picture in your signature is awesome. 8D

Superjustinbros

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2013, 04:51:44 PM »
RobGBA
Feb 20 2013, 04:13:49 PM
Superjustinbros
Feb 18 2013, 04:52:22 PM
MefistaCenobica
[/quote]Ha, this is pretty good. :D [/quote]This is off topic, but your Sonic Dragon picture in your signature is awesome. 8D [/quote]@RobGBA: Thanks; I was influenced to create it after seeing Qiezei's play through of it on Youtube. (now if only there was a simpler A'Can emulator that works like all the ones for NES, SNES, GB, etc., since MESS is very difficult to get running and it lacks sound).

Superjustinbros

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2013, 12:17:02 AM »
I'm getting the sudden urge for doing a Shi Kong Xing Shou article on Tvtropes.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VideoGame/ShiKongXingShou

Sanqui

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2013, 08:17:47 AM »
Is anybody willing to translate some basics from Chinese, such as the menus, mon names, moves etc?  I'm capable of creating a translation patch if there's interest.  Proof of concept (several months old, actually):

EDIT: A friend has offered me to translate if I provide him with a dump, so I'll get working on that!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 02:27:56 PM by Sanqui »

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2013, 10:14:03 AM »
I'm totally interested in a translation!  Sadly the best I can do with Chinese is using an OCR.

Superjustinbros

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2013, 01:19:07 PM »
Hey Sanqui, that translation project looks like a good concept. Hopefully with that we could also get Shui Hu translated in the near future. :D

Superjustinbros

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2013, 07:46:19 PM »
I'm back; Finally figured out what those + and - buttons in YY-CHR can do, and I got crystal-clear mugs from both Shi Kong and Shui Hu.
Spoiler: click to toggle

These are used when playing on a monochrome Game Boy that lacks color. It does the same trick of projecting a sprite onto a tile to emulate the illusion of more colors than the standard 4-color limit as some NES games do.

fergzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2014, 05:09:35 PM »
Man, do I ever bump threads.

So, anyway, in the past I have expressed interest in translating Shui Hu Shen Shou before. So, I got to work on doing a text dump/rough translation of the game's 108 monster dex entries, which is a start. I used the the strategy guide as a base, as well as this Wikipedia article. I drew hanzi with a tablet day and night just to convert the entries to plaintext (as well as give rough translations to give the idea of what it's saying, as Engrish-y as they are), and here is the fruits of my labor:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/i4t9txz8d4l8tmu/GBC_Shui_Hu_Shen_Shou_%E6%B0%B4%E6%B5%92%E7%A5%9E%E5%85%BD_Monster_Dex_Entries_Text_Dump_and_Rough_Translation_WIP.rtf <- .RTF file in MediaFire for download

http://pastebin.com/sf6tmXpp <- Slightly different Pastebin version of the above.

Hopefully, my efforts will encourage interest in further translations of the rest of the game. Hopefully. I don't even know how much ground this project is going to get off of. And anyone who has major knowledge in Chinese and English is free to "clean up" my translations and build upon it.

EDIT: http://www.mediafire.com/view/81vpa5iqctywtb1/Shui_Hu_Shen_Shou_水浒神兽_Type_Strength_and_Weakness_Chart.rtf <-- I also translated the weakness chart from the guidebook, here's the MediaFire link to that. Man, Vast Fame thinks of anything and everything. Who knows, this might actually come in handy someday. The preview won't display the chart properly, "attacking side" should be on the left.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 09:03:57 AM by fergzilla »

Superjustinbros

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2015, 10:23:24 AM »
Oh man, I feel bad for bumping this too.

Thanks a million for the translations, fergzilla.

fergzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2015, 03:34:16 AM »
You are welcome. Although like I said, the translations are very DUWANG-tier Engrish that can sometimes border on incomprehensible (or not) at times, so no way is my machine-translated effort on the same league as a respectable translation team might do. At the very least, my "translations" are mere placeholders for an actual translation to be handled by someone who's competent. Although I have heard reports from two actual Chinese-speaking people that Shui Hu Shen Shou uses "old words" (presumably meaning an archaic way of speaking (think Dragon Warrior's English localization) which does fit a game that takes place in the 12th century), so it might be tougher for those that are used to modern Chinese language to comprehend. At least I copied and transcribed the original Chinese descriptions decently, right?

I'm also working on Shi Kong Xing Shou's mon description transcription and "translation placeholders" right this moment, although I might have to actually slog through the whole game to get the entries, seeing as I have no base strategy guide or source material to draw from (Shi Kong's names are completely original, while Shui Hu's names derive directly from Water Margin's list of the 108 Stars of Destiny with little changes). Ah well, at least there's Youku to guide me through playing the game, right?

I'll keep this thread updated for when I do get all 152 of Shi Kong's monsters transcribed.

(As an aside note, I think Shi Kong Xing Shou's title is derived from Flint the Time Detective's Chinese dub, more specifically, the Chinese name for (what the English dub calls it, anyway) their "time shifters", which is 時空獸 (shi kong guai shou), a one hanzi difference from 時空獸 (shi kong xing shou). Considering that the Chinese dub of Flint aired on Taiwanese television shortly before Vast Fame's mon game hit the store shelves, it may or may not be coincidence (especially considering the general obscurity of Flint the Time Detective (actually, is Flint somewhat popular in Taiwan? I know it isn't in the US), and the fact that the show handled collecting monsters in a way that set it apart from Pokemon/Digimon/other mon genre contenders). Keep in mind that the show itself is called 時空偵探 (shi kong zhen tan) in Taiwan. Some debating to think about, I dunno, I just remembered that the show even existed after more than a decade (who else even heard of the show anyway? I know I can't gather even one other person who remembers). It might be a really thin connection anyway, but you never know with bootleg developers)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 03:16:42 PM by fergzilla »

Sink Penol

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2015, 05:36:36 AM »
I'm finally off duty of ROKA. YES! :)
I'll be busy from now on, because I have to prepare a lot of things of my life. :facepalm:

I found some news about SKXS :
 - Unofficial Walkthrough by me is under remastering.
 - There's method to save Mitt in EP 7. You'll found it out in my new walkthrough.
 - More info about ripoff sprites.
 - Some of translated G-beasts' name are fixed more appropriate.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 05:38:59 AM by Sink Penol »
Favorite Bootleg Games
* Vast Fame RPGS(Shi Kong Xing Shou, Shui Hu Shen Shou, Xin Feng Shen Bang)
(Unofficial Walkthroughs are on hold)

fergzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2015, 06:45:48 PM »
Awesome, your sudden comeback was unexpected indeed. I thought you were gone forever. And you're going to update the old strategy guide? Great!

Anyway, after months, I...still haven't finished transcribing every Shi Kong Xing Shou dex entry yet. In fact, I have been taking a break for the sake of marathoning Flint the Time Detective my sanity. But you know what, maybe I will get to the game and catch/transcribe even more monsters today/this week. And maybe update the old SHSS Pastebin for some additions/slight corrections with the side notes (don't worry, as far as I can tell, all my transcriptions of the original Chinese entries are hanzi-for-hanzi accurate, but the English translations need to be less DUWANG-y).

In the meantime, to hold you over, here is an unfinished WIP Pastebin of what I have of the SKXS entry translations so far: http://pastebin.com/TNBuQKtz

Again, your presence is a wonderful surprise. Maybe you can even help with translation sometime.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 06:59:21 PM by fergzilla »

Sink Penol

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2015, 08:35:25 PM »
Thank you for translation support, Fergzilla! It helped a lot. :yay:

And thank you for Kenjuthedenjuu for official walkthrough scans!

Here are some more infos what I found :
* In official walkthrough, Ballot's name is written as 'Baroque(巴洛克)'. I guess this is Ballot's 'real' name - Maybe the game's glitch? However, his name is written as 'Ballot' on later walkthrough.
* First cheat code works, while next one doesn't.(Both in raw dump and header fixed version)
* I found some similarities among SKXS and SHSS. These games' skill table and item table are ALMOST same. It seems that SKXS seems to be 'prototype(?)' of SHSS. Well, SKXS doesn't feature fishing, so fish baits are not exist in SKXS.
Spoiler: click to toggle
Favorite Bootleg Games
* Vast Fame RPGS(Shi Kong Xing Shou, Shui Hu Shen Shou, Xin Feng Shen Bang)
(Unofficial Walkthroughs are on hold)