Author Topic: Generic Wii clone thread  (Read 42524 times)

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
Generic Wii clone thread
« Reply #105 on: February 17, 2011, 12:45:51 PM »
well, theyre not all sports games. but mostly bad yes.

heres a complete (i think) game list. as far as i can tell the 198 only has unique games at the start and end of the list, but if there are any in the middle i might have missed them.  

7 in 1

"198" in 1

i think the players on Nice Code FC in the free kick game might be named after actual staff members. i recognise a few of them..
heres the full list: WAYNE, COSMO, LEO, JONY (credited in one of the DreamGear games), KEN  (three of the courses in Crazy Karts are shaped like "K", "E" and "N", so he probably worked on that one too), STING (contact for their domain name = Sting Zhao), WYB, GLEN, SUM, DBOY

oh and i finished that game. nice "YOU ARE CHAMPION" screen :D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 03:46:53 PM by taizou »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Generic Wii clone thread
« Reply #106 on: February 17, 2011, 02:24:43 PM »
I know I've seen that "Horrific Collapsar" somewhere else before... a name like that tends to stick in one's head. ::looks:: Yep, was mentioned in this very thread, in fact, as part of Arctic Cooling's "GC Pro" console. Now it turns up several hits on, you guessed it, Qi Sheng Long's site.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Generic Wii clone thread
« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2011, 02:51:30 PM »
yeah, lots of the games on the 198 in 1 seem to be on the GC Pro too. but the GC Pro (and QSL's Wiwi 32) is 32-bit, the Wiii3 is 16-bit and it shows - the GC Pro versions of the games have way better graphics.

i think i'm liking the Nice Code games on the 7 in 1 more than the 198 in 1 stuff though. theyre not exactly good, but i dunno, they just have a certain charm about them.
just uploading the last few games from the Wow (i'm only doing the ones that aren't covered in that other video for now).

but i noticed all those games plus a bunch more (a Mr.Driller clone! now i want it D:) are on the Power Player "Protable" by Qi Sheng Long. And repeats, because theyre terrible like that.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120645137681
the tennis on there is definitely *not* the Wow's tennis though.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 10:10:24 PM by taizou »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Generic Wii clone thread
« Reply #108 on: February 17, 2011, 11:08:11 PM »
taizou
Feb 17 2011, 02:51:30 PM
but i noticed all those games plus a bunch more (a Mr.Driller clone! now i want it D:) are on the Power Player "Protable" by Qi Sheng Long. And repeats, because theyre terrible like that.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120645137681
the tennis on there is definitely *not* the Wow's tennis though.[/quote]Heh, I just found this review of it... it's in Spanish and the camera's not good, but it's sort of a way to see the gameplay in action, anyway. Definitely the same games from the Wow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dACv3ItAKyw

The guy who made that video, incidentally, seems to have a wide variety of weird portable consoles: http://consolasportatiles.info/

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Generic Wii clone thread
« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2011, 12:20:20 AM »
ah its that guy :D i've exchanged a few emails with him about the Gamate. i should ask him about that thing.
having played them a bit more, quite a few of the games on the Wiii3's 198 in 1 cartridge are similar to Jungletac's:
Magic Key -> Mr. Onion
Jewel Master -> Jewel Master (in name at least)
Sky Hawk -> Tiger Rescue (kinda)
Heroic Pilot -> Deep Storm
Undersea Bubble -> Pinball Fish
Magic Box -> Boxboy (okay theyre both just Sokoban clones but they have the exact same puzzle layouts)
they don't actually reuse anything from the Jungletac games but they have far too much in common for it to be a coincidence. Jungletac's versions are generally way better programmed though, some of the Wiii3 versions have decent graphics but they mostly play like shit. so I dunno if theres a legitimate connection between the two or if the makers of this thing just ripped off Jungletac a bit.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 06:23:41 PM by taizou »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Generic Wii clone thread
« Reply #110 on: February 24, 2011, 02:09:40 AM »
heres a few impressions of the Wiii3 games from the Nice Code cart now i've spent a bit more time with the thing (i'll leave the 198 in 1 games for later, because theyre mostly boring). videos will be forthcoming i think.

1. Pop Cricket - the big selling point of this console, but it seems kinda rushed. the players on screen are always the same colours no matter who's playing (would it have been that hard to palette swap them?), practice mode doesnt work at all, and .. one other mode (i don't actually have the console on at the moment, can you tell?) seems to give you control of the opposite team at some points if you field first. apart from those issues it's just a fairly standard wii-clone sports game, press A (sorry, swing the remote) at the right time to set all the various meters and then stuff happens.

2. Kungfu - kind of in the same vein as the boxing games you get on these things, only you don't need two controllers. you just punch with A and kick with B, you dont seem to be able to control the different types of punches and kicks with the D-pad or anything, they just  happen randomly. theres a meter at the bottom of the screen that gradually fills up and sometimes the screen will flash red and either you or the opponent will be able to attack unopposed for a while before launching a special attack. not sure exactly what controls this, maybe its timing or maybe its just random. you can choose different opponents off a little map who'll appear in little badly rendered intro scenes saying something threatening in engrish. its kind of amusing for a while but gets boring before long, unless theres a whole strategic element to it that i'm missing.

3. Flush Ball - I like this one. its a pretty simple single-screen arcade-style game kind of like Pang or something like that, you control a little dinosaur at the bottom who'll flick out his tail in front of him when you press A, and you have to bounce balls off it to make them change colour a certain number of times before they fly off into the sky and you move to the next level (with one extra ball). If you let them bounce on the floor too many times they switch back to the previous colour, or if they hit the dinosaur on the head they turn grey and just roll along the floor (and become deadly). Its kind of like Nice Code took the "shit falling from above" idea they used with so many of their famicom games and actually thought about how to make a fun game out of it.

4. Crazy Karts (Kart Crazy) - Sort of a poor man's Mario Kart. All the characters are palette swaps but it has a decent number of tracks with different graphics and you can pick up items and stuff (even if theres only, like, three of them). Kinda fun, kinda annoying (because if one of the CPU characters hits you with a missile - and they will - it takes so long to accelerate again that youll probably end up in last place) and a bit rough around the edges but probably better than most Wii-clone racing games. Maybe.

5. 3-Point Shot (3-Point Shootout) - Basketball thingy. Another pretty standard "shake/hit A to stop the meter" sports game, albeit based on a sport that doesnt often appear on these things. Not too bad, anyway.

6. Freekick (Battle of Freekick) - oh you know. another sports game. Better than the usual mostly luck-based penalty shootout games though, you set direction, curve and power, which IMO makes it feel like you have much more control over where the ball ends up. plus with it being a free kick game rather than a penalty one you have the dudes lined up in front of the goal which adds an extra bit of strategy to proceedings. Also its kinda interesting because the team you're playing as has Nice Code's logo and some/all? of the players seem to be named after Nice Code staff, so youre basically playing *as* Nice Code.

7. Flying Dream - Well this one's weird. it basically controls like one of the sports games again, but the theme is very much non-sporting. There's an animal of some kind(?) on a ledge on the left, you have to press A/shake to set position and power to make it jump such that itll bounce off both the wolves floating in the middle and land on the platform on the right. After you do that a certain number of times you switch to a flying, differently-coloured version of said animal, and I dunno. This one definitely needs further investigation. On Nice Code's site theres a screenshot of a version called "Flying Pig" where the animal looks more piglike (though the screenshot is too small to tell really), and it does look like an *edited* pig in-game, so I guess they changed it for some reason? from a pig to a "dream". maybe this is what Nice Code's dreams look like.

and thats that. I was pleasantly surprised by this cart really. yknow, its nothing fantastic, but the games are way better than their NES stuff, more fun & more interesting than the 198 cart, more original than the Wow - theyre the sorts of games I'd like to see more of on Wii clones in the future, if they can just avoid any major Pop Cricket-style. Nice Code have gone up quite a bit in my estimation with this thing, anyway.

QSL's catalogue (this page) lists a 77 in 1 and a 70 in 1 console that both seem to be full of 16-bit Nice Code games, I .. sort of want one. But theyre not listed anywhere on QSL's alibaba page or their main website, and they dont seem to be for sale from any distributors anywhere. not yet, anyway. O:
well, well, well. i think i found the name of the 198 devs. i was searching the chinese copyright database, the mistake i made was searching for individual game names. but it hit me when i tried searching on Qi Sheng Long and noticed they'd registered their 121 in 1 and 101 in 1 consoles - why register each game separately when you could just register the entire compilation? so i searched for 198, and here it is.

2009SR00036 - SPG289 16 位红外互动游戏软件(198inl) V1.0 [简称: SPG289互动游戏198inl] by 深圳市纽泰科技发展有限公司

registered to Shenzhen Niutai Technology Development Co. the company also has copyrights on two 18 in 1s and a 20 in 1 also for the SPG289, and a 32-bit 48 in 1 for the SPG293 (presumably the same 48 games from QSL's 32 bit console). unfortunately they seem to have 0 internet presence so I can't verify anything (they might just be another hardware manufacturer - Qi Sheng Long and Waixing have both registered Nice Code's games, after all)

in the process i also found the Family Sport series are registered to 深圳市森佳科技有限公司 Shenzhen Senjia Technology Co., or Senca Technology in English. found their website @ http://www.sencatech.com despite most pages pointing to http://www.senca.com.cn (what was i saying about chinese companies never being able to hold onto a domain name) & theres a bit more info in Chinese if you google around.
oh yeah, and theres a "Mini 15 in 1" registered to Nanjing, possibly a reference to the 15 in 1 minigames from that variation on my Wow .. maybe Nanjing really did have something to do with development? all the blatant thievery going on in those games is far more Nanjing's style than Nice Code's.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 03:13:55 AM by taizou »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
Generic Wii clone thread
« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2011, 05:38:20 AM »
taizou
Feb 24 2011, 02:09:40 AM
oh yeah, and theres a "Mini 15 in 1" registered to Nanjing, possibly a reference to the 15 in 1 minigames from that variation on my Wow .. maybe Nanjing really did have something to do with development? all the blatant thievery going on in those games is far more Nanjing's style than Nice Code's.[/quote]I think you're right on that, actually. Looking on their website, the sport games off the Wow (I noticed Super Boxing in particular) are listed on there. Can't find the games off the 15-in-1, probably because they realised that they couldn't get away with ripping graphics from Columns and Puzzle Bobble. Mind you, their blatant thievery makes me wonder what their DDR clone listed is like. :P

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Generic Wii clone thread
« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2011, 09:46:28 AM »
taizou
Feb 24 2011, 02:09:40 AM
2009SR00036 - SPG289 16 位红外互动游戏软件(198inl) V1.0 [简称: SPG289互动游戏198inl] by 深圳市纽泰科技发展有限公司

registered to Shenzhen Niutai Technology Development Co. the company also has copyrights on two 18 in 1s and a 20 in 1 also for the SPG289, and a 32-bit 48 in 1 for the SPG293 (presumably the same 48 games from QSL's 32 bit console). unfortunately they seem to have 0 internet presence so I can't verify anything (they might just be another hardware manufacturer - Qi Sheng Long and Waixing have both registered Nice Code's games, after all)[/quote]Sort of odd that Qi Sheng Long wouldn't have registered these titles themselves, though. I'd say this company deserves further investigation, but they truly do not seem to exist, other than a couple company profile pages that are completely barren.

taizou

in the process i also found the Family Sport series are registered to 深圳市森佳科技有限公司 Shenzhen Senjia Technology Co., or Senca Technology in English. found their website @ http://www.sencatech.com despite most pages pointing to http://www.senca.com.cn (what was i saying about chinese companies never being able to hold onto a domain name) & theres a bit more info in Chinese if you google around.[/quote]Now that's an interesting find. Definitely the right company-- they even show screenshots of the Family Sport games on their site! Though I'm wondering what's up with the stolen box art from a real Guitar Hero controller...

Apparently even Sky League has known about these guys since 2008.

taizou

oh yeah, and theres a "Mini 15 in 1" registered to Nanjing, possibly a reference to the 15 in 1 minigames from that variation on my Wow .. maybe Nanjing really did have something to do with development? all the blatant thievery going on in those games is far more Nanjing's style than Nice Code's.[/quote]Hm, that's interesting. I knew that they'd had some of the sports games listed on their site, so it wouldn't entirely surprise me that Nanjing had something to do with it.

Edit: SZ Nanjing also own copyrights on VT168-based ping pong, tennis, boxing, badminton and bowling games. This can't be a coincidence.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 10:03:20 AM by codeman38 »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Generic Wii clone thread
« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2011, 12:55:28 PM »
codeman38
Feb 24 2011, 09:46:28 AM
taizou

oh yeah, and theres a "Mini 15 in 1" registered to Nanjing, possibly a reference to the 15 in 1 minigames from that variation on my Wow .. maybe Nanjing really did have something to do with development? all the blatant thievery going on in those games is far more Nanjing's style than Nice Code's.[/quote]Hm, that's interesting. I knew that they'd had some of the sports games listed on their site, so it wouldn't entirely surprise me that Nanjing had something to do with it.

Edit: SZ Nanjing also own copyrights on VT168-based ping pong, tennis, boxing, badminton and bowling games. This can't be a coincidence.[/quote]the columns game is listed on this video page but the actual video doesn't work.

but, yeah, what i'm thinking now is either these games were either developed by Nanjing alone (and they just cloned that one thats similar to a Nice Code game, since theyd probably licensed it from them already), or Nanjing collaborated with Nice Code somehow.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
Generic Wii clone thread
« Reply #114 on: February 24, 2011, 01:32:14 PM »
taizou
Feb 24 2011, 12:55:28 PM
codeman38
Feb 24 2011, 09:46:28 AM
taizou

Edit: SZ Nanjing also own copyrights on VT168-based ping pong, tennis, boxing, badminton and bowling games. This can't be a coincidence.[/quote]the columns game is listed on this video page but the actual video doesn't work.

but, yeah, what i'm thinking now is either these games were either developed by Nanjing alone (and they just cloned that one thats similar to a Nice Code game, since theyd probably licensed it from them already), or Nanjing collaborated with Nice Code somehow.[/quote]I think SNT had some part in the development of it, they probably made it on their own. I doubt even Nice Code would be that blatant in ripping off other games. Then again, some of those videos on there seem to be of NC games so I'm not sure. <_<

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Generic Wii clone thread
« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2011, 01:47:15 PM »
yeah, I do think it was Nanjing, either developed completely in-house or they headed up the project but outsourced some work to Nice Code (NC don't rip stuff off so blatantly in their own games, but they have no problem doing it when Nanjing asks them to - look at Tomb Raider etc).

as this Nanjing developer said theres no market for Famicom games anymore, so it'd make sense for them to have moved into stuff for plug & play consoles. but then the Wow seems to be from 2008, when they were still making RPGs, so I have no idea what they're actually doing now.
oh yeah, and i just found this:
http://nfgworld.com/mb/thread/762-Supermarket-Metal-Slug
apparently one of those TVs with Timetop games was sold by Aldi in 2009 (in the US?)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 02:26:56 PM by taizou »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Generic Wii clone thread
« Reply #116 on: February 24, 2011, 02:59:32 PM »
taizou
Feb 24 2011, 01:47:15 PM
oh yeah, and i just found this:
http://nfgworld.com/mb/thread/762-Supermarket-Metal-Slug
apparently one of those TVs with Timetop games was sold by Aldi in 2009 (in the US?)[/quote]Probably Australia, if the WHOIS on the forum's owner is anything to go by.

But now I'm curious whether that TV got sold Stateside as well...
Cheetahmen
Feb 15 2011, 10:16:02 AM
Speaking of which, I recently found this video and from watching this, there seems to be at least 2 different versions of that one. Whereas Tweeterman's version has those horrible Nice Code games built in, this one has standard Nintendo games on it which is a lot better. I'm guessing the manufacturers figured that if they released this version in the US, they'd end up with a huge lawsuit by including games like Super Mario Bros. on their console. (Then again, that Slalom hack is included on the cartridge of both versions)[/quote]Amazingly, at least one batch of that version of the 8-bit Vii has been spotted in the US:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI65nUiu8Dg

Even more interestingly: it's branded "Power Player"! Wouldn't surprise me if they were sold at the same mall kiosks that sold the other Power Player consoles.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 03:11:21 PM by codeman38 »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Generic Wii clone thread
« Reply #117 on: February 24, 2011, 03:27:26 PM »
speaking of which, i found what seems to be another division of Xinan Industry, the company that makes those Viis and various Power Players and stuff. called Omni Special in English or 东莞市常平信安实业有限公司 in Chinese. they have a copyright on some unspecified 50 in 1.
http://www.omnispecial.com/ / http://www.omin-speciac.cn (seriously!) / http://aqtdesign.cn.alibaba.com/
(other sites: http://www.powerkinghk.com / http://xinan.en.alibaba.com/ .. i dunno why they need so damn many)

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Generic Wii clone thread
« Reply #118 on: February 26, 2011, 12:43:43 AM »
i've uploaded a video of Battle of Freekick ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovBzzdRFmlQ
was gonna do Crazy Karts too but i'm having problems encoding that. grr. (plus i paused for like a minute while i was recording and i'm trying to edit that out convincingly)
actually Crazy Karts/Kart Crazy/whatev is up now (or at least it will be once it finishes processing): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWzCyraEEt8

Kungfu would be coming next, but I was just playing through it so I could add the ending, and I accidentally hit the shoulder button (which resets the console.. nice controller design there) on like the second to last fight. balls!

anyway heres the game over screen because i like it.

oh yeah, and does the Kart/Track Select font in Kart Crazy look like a PC Paint font to anyone else?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 04:13:09 AM by taizou »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Generic Wii clone thread
« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2011, 02:19:40 PM »
taizou
Feb 26 2011, 12:43:43 AM
oh yeah, and does the Kart/Track Select font in Kart Crazy look like a PC Paint font to anyone else?[/quote]I was thinking the same thing as I watched it, actually! Would be easier to tell if they gave us more than eight unique letters, of course, but those eight do seem to match up...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 02:21:00 PM by codeman38 »