Author Topic: Pic of my collection so far  (Read 10088 times)

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
Pic of my collection so far
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2011, 05:44:28 PM »
from what I recall the JY mapper is pretty versatile, so it's easy to get other games running on it but not vice versa.

MLX

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2011, 06:57:24 PM »
I think I read someone from NesDev or Digital Press that he tried but the games had "traps" or security. Aladdin original PCB was manufactured with EPROMs instead of usual globtop. Then it was easy for pirates to dump the PRG and CHR, hack it to make it work with their mapper.

Veemon

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2011, 09:33:23 PM »
taizou
Aug 20 2011, 04:27:17 PM
they're pretty common in Russia and Eastern Europe too. Japan is one of the only places in Asia you probably won't find them, they have a lot tighter enforcement of copyright laws over there. A few might slip through the net every so often and there are tons of famiclones with built-in hacks but thats about it - it's about the same as North America and Western Europe in that regard I think, you might occasionally find one but they aren't sold en masse.

People who've been to China or Taiwan recently always seem to find less places selling pirates than they'd imagine though. Online PC gaming is really big in Asia now. apparently in China in the big cities people who do play console games mostly have moved on from Famiclones and they tend to just play pirated games on PS2s or later consoles, its only people in poorer areas who still play Famiclones. So I've heard anyway. .[/quote]I yeah I forgot about Russia, But you know I didn't know there was pirates for PS2 and such, do we know what some of them are? Anything worth while?

@Qiezei: I watched the video of Super Mario World 64, so I assume that the game is basically a port of SMW to Genesis huh? One thing funny I noticed is that the game reuses music from the Tale Spin game on MD.

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2011, 09:48:20 PM »
Veemon
Aug 20 2011, 09:33:23 PM
@Qiezei: I watched the video of Super Mario World 64, so I assume that the game is basically a port of SMW to Genesis huh? One thing funny I noticed is that the game reuses music from the Tale Spin game on MD.[/quote]It's intended to be a port, but after the two or three levels they basically did their own thing for the rest of the game.  It also re-uses music from Super Battletank in the castle level and for the ice level it uses, I swear to god, the Jeopardy theme.  Oh, and you may not notice it, but the controls aren't very good.  Think Yong Yong controls, except you can't press the reverse direction to stop.  And the second level has one swinging platform that, unless you can land on the small 16x16 center block, you're literally making blind jumps and praying you land on it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 09:49:29 PM by Pepper-98 »

Veemon

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2011, 09:55:31 PM »
Oh kinda like the Mario Bros Squirrel King hack by whatever the company's name was? The Chip n' Dale based one also on MD...But oh gosh I know Yong-Yong's terrible control method all to well...I've won both Sonic Adventure 7 and Pokemon. (With lots of savestates of course.) Well at least with this one you can stop it if you press the reverse direction. Has anyone won this game yet btw?

Also, Jeopardy music in Mario? lolwat?

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2011, 09:57:45 PM »
Veemon
Aug 20 2011, 09:33:23 PM
But you know I didn't know there was pirates for PS2 and such, do we know what some of them are? Anything worth while?[/quote]I mean just pirate copies of legit games. I don't think there are any pirate originals or hacks or anything.

Veemon

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2011, 11:12:54 PM »
Oh OK like that kind of pirate. One question though, so does a pirate copy of a legit game mean that it wasn't originally licensed in that region, like a game from the US or Japan that wasn't released there, so they made an unofficial release of the game there?

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2011, 11:31:57 PM »
Veemon
Aug 20 2011, 11:12:54 PM
Oh OK like that kind of pirate. One question though, so does a pirate copy of a legit game mean that it wasn't originally licensed in that region, like a game from the US or Japan that wasn't released there, so they made an unofficial release of the game there?  [/quote]Not necessarily.  It is in certain cases like Mega Bomberman because it wasn't "officially" released in Asia on the Megadrive, to my knowledge.  Usually it's just the bootleggers trying to make a profit off of the game by tricking people to buy their pirated version.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2011, 01:08:13 AM »
Qiezei
Aug 20 2011, 09:48:20 PM
It also re-uses music from Super Battletank in the castle level and for the ice level it uses, I swear to god, the Jeopardy theme.[/quote]For those wanting proof of the Jeopardy thing, because it's so utterly ridiculous-- here's the relevant clip from NicoVideo, linked via Hatena to eliminate that annoying registration thing:
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/video/niconico/sm2719837

(And yes, that is indeed stolen from the official Jeopardy game for Sega Genesis.)

Edit: While we're at it, if I may take the thread a bit off topic, anyone know what game this tune from SMW64 is stolen from? It's obviously stolen, but from where, I'd love to know, because it's quite catchy.
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/video/niconico/sm2731547
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 01:11:18 AM by codeman38 »

Veemon

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2011, 02:16:25 AM »
Qiezei
Aug 20 2011, 11:31:57 PM
Not necessarily.  It is in certain cases like Mega Bomberman because it wasn't "officially" released in Asia on the Megadrive, to my knowledge.  Usually it's just the bootleggers trying to make a profit off of the game by tricking people to buy their pirated version.[/quote]Oh yeah, it's kinda the same strategy as the guys who made Transmorphers. They rely on tricking people to buy it with similar titles. Oh that reminds me about pirate/knock-off movies like that. :lol:

@codeman38: Wow, there is indeed Jeopardy music in SMW64, never thought I'd see that. But as for the other song, uhhhhhh, damn I don't know. But judging by the sound engine and the way it sounds, it's differently not Konami, or Sega. It's probably a third-party game, although it's not Vectorman, I know that for sure. It might, might be a Disney game, other then that I don't know...

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2011, 05:57:12 AM »
codeman38
Aug 21 2011, 01:08:13 AM
Edit: While we're at it, if I may take the thread a bit off topic, anyone know what game this tune from SMW64 is stolen from? It's obviously stolen, but from where, I'd love to know, because it's quite catchy.
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/video/niconico/sm2731547[/quote]I'm guessing it's from a game before 1993, given that the rest of the sources are. I don't think that helps much, but whatever. :unsure:

Edit: Oh, and another thing I just found is that all of those games are 512k. :huh:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 06:13:54 AM by Awesome Panda »