Author Topic: Pic of my collection so far  (Read 10056 times)

Veemon

• View Profile
Pic of my collection so far
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 05:30:58 PM »
Cheetahmen
Aug 19 2011, 05:31:02 AM
Veemon
Aug 19 2011, 03:49:42 AM
So how come Sintex and GBC games are hard to dump properly? They break easily?[/quote]No, they have copy protection which has to be cracked for the ROM to work.[/quote]Pirates have copy protection? Seems a bit ironic doesn't it? :lol: "DON'T ILLEGALLY COPY OUR ILLEGALLY COPIED GAMES!!" So then, how does one crack these things?

Btw Taizou, what exactly are Harry Boy IV and Final Fantasy IX about?

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 05:59:43 PM »
Veemon
Aug 19 2011, 05:30:58 PM
Pirates have copy protection? Seems a bit ironic doesn't it? :lol: "DON'T ILLEGALLY COPY OUR ILLEGALLY COPIED GAMES!!" So then, how does one crack these things?[/quote]Well it makes sense, if theyre selling their games in a country where everything is pirated anyway, they don't want other pirates pirating their pirates. And I have no idea how to crack them, that's kinda the problem O:

Veemon

Btw Taizou, what exactly are Harry Boy IV and Final Fantasy IX about?[/quote]
I have a video of FFIX here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWkv36Ls4ik
Harry Boy IV is basically the dumped GBC Harry Potter platform game with different levels.

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 06:59:27 PM »
Veemon
Aug 19 2011, 05:30:58 PM
Pirates have copy protection? Seems a bit ironic doesn't it? :lol: "DON'T ILLEGALLY COPY OUR ILLEGALLY COPIED GAMES!!"[/quote]It's basically a free-for-all over there.  You have bootleg companies ripping off other bootleg companies constantly.  Vast Fame's had at least two of their games bootlegged by two other companies, with one of those games being a bootleg of the Digimon series.

BTW, regarding the image in Barver's first post in this thread, what's that Vast Fame game to the left of San Goku Shi: Aoshi Tianjia?  I don't recognize that one...

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 09:42:49 PM »
Qiezei
Aug 19 2011, 06:59:27 PM
BTW, regarding the image in Barver's first post in this thread, what's that Vast Fame game to the left of San Goku Shi: Aoshi Tianjia?  I don't recognize that one...[/quote]That'd be Queen of Fighters 2000, which is as awesome as all of VFame's other fighters.

Here's video of it: http://d.hatena.ne.jp/video/niconico/sm8884207

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2011, 09:45:24 PM »
Have several more things added to my collection since this post, like DKC2 for FC or Bomboy for MD(which I'll probably send for dumping someday), It's been getting very slow in obtaining anything though these days :X

Veemon

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2011, 01:47:27 AM »
taizou
Aug 19 2011, 05:59:43 PM
And I have no idea how to crack them, that's kinda the problem O:
[/quote]So do normal GBC games have those things in them as well? And as for FFIX, so it's a Final Fantasy beat'em up? OK...

@ Taizou and Qiezei: So it's basically pirates vs. pirates huh? So in those countries, can one buy these games easily? Like they're sold in video game stores? Btw is there any Japanese pirate companies? Or not so much?

Pepper-98

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2011, 09:52:53 AM »
Veemon
Aug 20 2011, 01:47:27 AM
@ Taizou and Qiezei: So it's basically pirates vs. pirates huh? So in those countries, can one buy these games easily? Like they're sold in video game stores? Btw is there any Japanese pirate companies? Or not so much?[/quote]I've heard that they don't really sell old stuff like Famicom games in stores anymore, but I can't confirm that.  You can find that stuff online rather easy, though the game itself can affect how rare it is.  Some of them, like the undumped games, can be very hard to find (Super Mario World 64 being an example) while games that have been dumped like Shui Hu Shen Shou (Vast Fame) are easy to find copies of because most of them are cheap generic bootlegs of the dumped ROM.  Reigon is also of importance, as stuff by companies from China are easier to find in, well, China, while the same applies to Taiwanese games.  That's why you can find original Vast Fame stuff over on Ruten while it's almost barren over on Taobao (excluding the occasional third-party published games).

I don't know about there being pirate companies in Japan, but there are two unlicensed companies: Hacker International and Happy Soft.  I kinda figured that Japan's laws would've kept out a lot of bootleggers.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2011, 10:18:47 AM »
Qiezei
Aug 20 2011, 09:52:53 AM
I don't know about there being pirate companies in Japan, but there are two unlicensed companies: Hacker International and Happy Soft.  I kinda figured that Japan's laws would've kept out a lot of bootleggers.[/quote]There's a fair few others that developed stuff for the Famicom Disk System, but I'd best not go into detail about that. :X

Anyway, I think unless you live in certain parts of the Far East, pirates are hard to come by IRL. That said, I found a 30-in-1 multicart for the Game Boy in my hometown. cool:

KingPepe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2011, 10:29:31 AM »
Qiezei
Aug 20 2011, 09:52:53 AM
I've heard that they don't really sell old stuff like Famicom games in stores anymore, but I can't confirm that.  [/quote]Actually, there are a couple of places that still do apparently. Not sure which but my friend who was in Japan at the time sent me 2 FC carts and a GB cart over.

Veemon

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2011, 04:09:09 PM »
Cheetahmen
Aug 20 2011, 10:18:47 AM
Anyway, I think unless you live in certain parts of the Far East, pirates are hard to come by IRL. That said, I found a 30-in-1 multicart for the Game Boy in my hometown. cool:[/quote]Yeah pretty much the only place you'll find them in good quantity is in Asia or South America. Although of course there's always a few that turn up in flea markets and stores like Goodwill. I should check out some flea markets some time to see if I can find any treasure lol.

@Qiezei: Yeah I didn't think there'd be many pirate companies from Japan, considering that there's just a lot of legit companies from there like Nintendo and such. I'd say making a Pokemon pirate there probably would work. :D But then why are some games rarer then others? Did some companies make less copies then others? Btw what is Super Mario World 64 like?

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2011, 04:27:17 PM »
Veemon

Yeah pretty much the only place you'll find them in good quantity is in Asia or South America. Although of course there's always a few that turn up in flea markets and stores like Goodwill. I should check out some flea markets some time to see if I can find any treasure lol.[/quote]they're pretty common in Russia and Eastern Europe too. Japan is one of the only places in Asia you probably won't find them, they have a lot tighter enforcement of copyright laws over there. A few might slip through the net every so often and there are tons of famiclones with built-in hacks but thats about it - it's about the same as North America and Western Europe in that regard I think, you might occasionally find one but they aren't sold en masse.

People who've been to China or Taiwan recently always seem to find less places selling pirates than they'd imagine though. Online PC gaming is really big in Asia now. apparently in China in the big cities people who do play console games mostly have moved on from Famiclones and they tend to just play pirated games on PS2s or later consoles, its only people in poorer areas who still play Famiclones. So I've heard anyway.

Veemon

But then why are some games rarer then others? Did some companies make less copies then others?[/quote]
Yeah, some games were only produced in small numbers - usually the most common games are the ones that were cracked and pirated by other companies though. like Hummer's Aladdin and Tekken are everywhere, both hacked to run on MMC3 with some content removed. but that never happened with SMW and DKC4 so the only carts you can find of those are the JY originals.

Pepper-98

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2011, 04:33:09 PM »
Veemon
Aug 20 2011, 04:09:09 PM
@Qiezei: Yeah I didn't think there'd be many pirate companies from Japan, considering that there's just a lot of legit companies from there like Nintendo and such. I'd say making a Pokemon pirate there probably would work. :D But then why are some games rarer then others? Did some companies make less copies then others? Btw what is Super Mario World 64 like?[/quote]Like I said, some are common because many generic bootleggers just stuff the dumped ROM into a cartridge, and some of the rarer ones I guess either had a limited run or they're restricted to certain, obscure areas, making them rare.  I can't really confirm the reasons, but they are rare.  Nevermind, Taizou gave a better explanation.

As for SMW64, you can see a video on Youtube of the game here.  I did a video of the game (and have a copy of it), but I didn't get as far.  There should be some videos of the game on Nico Nico Douga as well, if I remember correctly.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 04:35:04 PM by Pepper-98 »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2011, 04:59:55 PM »
taizou
Aug 20 2011, 04:27:17 PM
Veemon

But then why are some games rarer then others? Did some companies make less copies then others?[/quote]
Yeah, some games were only produced in small numbers - usually the most common games are the ones that were cracked and pirated by other companies though. like Hummer's Aladdin and Tekken are everywhere, both hacked to run on MMC3 with some content removed. but that never happened with SMW and DKC4 so the only carts you can find of those are the JY originals.[/quote]Same goes for Somari and Sonic 3D Blast 5, with the latter being somewhat common on newer multicarts. Also worth pointing out that there's one variation of the MMC3 conversions of Aladdin that (I think) has all of the content from the original version.

BTW, how come they never did MMC3 conversions of SMW and DKC4 anyway? :huh:

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2011, 05:10:01 PM »
Dunno, just no one ever bothered to hack them. Most JY games were never pirated elsewhere really, only a few of them ever got hacked. Maybe the way they used JY's mapper it wasn't easy to convert them to something more common.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2011, 05:25:57 PM »
taizou
Aug 20 2011, 05:10:01 PM
Dunno, just no one ever bothered to hack them. Most JY games were never pirated elsewhere really, only a few of them ever got hacked. Maybe the way they used JY's mapper it wasn't easy to convert them to something more common.[/quote]I dunno, I recall CaH4e3 saying that it's easy to hack other mappers into the JY ones. If that's the case, then wouldn't it work the other way round?