Author Topic: Going to Hong Kong for the first time...  (Read 2490 times)

metaflossy

• View Profile
Going to Hong Kong for the first time...
« on: May 02, 2015, 03:29:11 PM »
So I'm taking a trip to Hong Kong in a couple months, and I've never left the US; I have no clue what to expect.

Of course I'm going to be shopping for bootleg goodies [games, toys, etc] along with clothing and stationary [ my other addictions hobbies]- - is there anything I should know?  Are bootlegs common in HK or will I have more luck in mainland China? I'm also going to the mainland, but I haven't decided on where yet; Is there anywhere specific I should go?  

Any advice is helpful whether or not it's related to bootleg collecting, and I'd love to hear about your own Hong Kong / Chinese adventures! C:

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 06:27:17 AM »
I've never been to the far east myself, but from my understanding bootleg stuff in the wild is pretty scarce nowadays. I think your best bet is to try places like flea markets (assuming that's a thing in Hong Kong) and possibly used game stores if you can find any.

Deleted User

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 08:29:42 PM »
Beware of the Hong Kong (shopping) riots that may incur. There is certainly a economic unrest going on so maybe you ought to keep multiple faces for each transaction and each dialogue. There is likely to be a bazaar or flea market because you know that there is an Asian policy for that. Somebody might check up on you and go salesman aggressive (they be going, "Why you buying that son, why? Buy this! [no warranties, >:)]") because that's that. :shrugs:
I did bought a hand-held game and while the advertisement cover looks much cooler than the Game-and-Watch variant in a playstation-type controller, I must say that it was fucking rad in the action and gameplay (multiple game modes though [loved the boring boss stomper stage]). Too bad it broke, had it running for at least a year or so. Sorry, I can't advise you on consoles that run stand-alone titles/cartridges.

Actually, I never been to Hong Kong (maybe it was expensive? I forgot). Traveled around the mainland (yes, I bought the hand-held in the mainland), even around Tibet (didn't stay there too long! I think there's an recent earthquake going on so maybe it's off-limits) and Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (yummy sweet goats, behehhehheh!). Ummm, yeah, okay, hahaha!

Sometimes, you find some undesirable things (like lost dogs, rats scuttling across alleys, chewy cooked waterbugs as a delicacy, and drinking hot water because maybe the food ain't so well ingested on its own?). There are broken toilets in some temporary residences, but as far as I know, they know how to fix it. Oh yeah, the climate can get really cold and really hot.

You might see some stragglers who whined about how global trading with Iran is good regardless of the potential consequences.

China wall can be exhausting so pack up on (not some) rations! You gonna need it since you up on the heights of mountain range. River boat trip (plus monkeys) is a pretty cool sight (fishermen might ask for donations). Never roamed in the wilds though, you don't know what dangers lurk beyond the very walls of society!

You know what's the funny thing?
If they are the 1st world class economy, I was hoping that they be economically accommodating towards tourists.
Anyways, that's was a long time ago so I don't know what happens now. lol

metaflossy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 02:01:26 AM »
Ribby
May 3 2015, 08:29:42 PM
Sometimes, you find some undesirable things (like lost dogs, rats scuttling across alleys, chewy cooked waterbugs as a delicacy, and drinking hot water because maybe the food ain't so well ingested on its own?). There are broken toilets in some temporary residences, but as far as I know, they know how to fix it. Oh yeah, the climate can get really cold and really hot.
[/quote]Funny you mention the water beetles, that's one thing I've always wanted to try.  Water beetles and cock roaches are two of my biggest fears...  maybe they wont be so scary if I eat them.
That makes sense, right?

Deleted User

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 05:58:25 PM »
Actually, it would be boiled waterbugs. They have chewy white flesh (popping of its shells, in which you must peel off). It's gummy and somewhat tasteless. It was like dull, but you get to have your choice of sauce.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 03:29:28 PM »
I'd guess that Shenzhen would probably be a good place to look for bootleg game stuff, since that's where most of the companies making it are based (except Subor/Waixing who are in Zhongshan)