Author Topic: VT03 Octopus CHR problem correction  (Read 2183 times)

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
VT03 Octopus CHR problem correction
« on: January 01, 2024, 04:12:53 PM »
A correction for the quit screen CHR problem earlier versions of VT03 Octopus.

The CHR data contains letters for POWER JOY LTD, but the name table data uses empty tiles for something else already.

A later version, found on the "Sports Game 69-in-1" PnP, corrected the problem by replacing the animated faces with boring "Yes" and "No" letters.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 04:15:14 PM by NewRisingSun »

lancuster

• View Profile
Re: VT03 Octopus CHR problem correction
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2024, 02:44:57 PM »
I could have converted the title screen and the missing graphics from the original if the game had been converted to the standard NES format.

GroupNebula563

• Call me Furbland. POP Station enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Don't really have a website, but here's a discord I talk in frequently (the Pasta Fan Club)
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2024, 03:25:35 AM »
I could have converted the title screen and the missing graphics from the original if the game had been converted to the standard NES format.
What do you mean by "standard nes format"? You can't just convert a game from VT03 to NES.
-Furbland.

lancuster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:32:39 AM »
What do you mean by "standard nes format"? You can't just convert a game from VT03 to NES.
This is possible if you rewrite the registers to fit the standard NES mapper, and redo the graphics to the standard 2bpp format.
The program code, sound engine, and so on in the game are still sharpened for NES hardware.

GroupNebula563

• View Profile
    • Don't really have a website, but here's a discord I talk in frequently (the Pasta Fan Club)
« Reply #4 on: Today at 08:02:01 AM »
This is possible if you rewrite the registers to fit the standard NES mapper, and redo the graphics to the standard 2bpp format.
The program code, sound engine, and so on in the game are still sharpened for NES hardware.
Yeah, but at that point why bother porting the game to change one small title screen issue to then have to port it back…
-Furbland.

lancuster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:55:18 AM »
Yeah, but at that point why bother porting the game to change one small title screen issue to then have to port it back…
Alternatively, it makes sense to try to find the data of the start screen, turn it back on and then insert the graphics. But I'm not good at machine code.

GroupNebula563

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Today at 10:09:33 AM »
Alternatively, it makes sense to try to find the data of the start screen, turn it back on and then insert the graphics. But I'm not good at machine code.
But at this point why bother converting them then? They’re both effectively 6502 assembly.
-Furbland.

forgotusername

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Today at 12:34:22 PM »
IIRC that new "Timemax" game library (seen on the Subor Q6) has a hack of Octopus with an added title screen (along with added screens on Twin Fish, Magic Bubble, etc); so when those inevitably get dumped, you could probably use that for a VT02 title screen conversion if you really wanted to.