Author Topic: Working version of Mulan  (Read 5355 times)

Azathoth

• View Profile
Working version of Mulan
« on: April 18, 2012, 01:20:15 AM »
I was talking to DJ Shock tonight and he mentioned looking for a working version of Mulan. He pointed out that it crashed after the end of the first part of the first level (where you climb up the ropes on the left of the screen).

I hadn't really noticed this before, but I tried both the fixed versions I have and these both crash at the same spot. The unfixed ROM hangs at the "Wanna be a man" screen before the first level starts.

I double checked my copy and the cart plays fine without problems; before I lug all this shit out to dump the cart does anyone know if a working version is available?

Brn89

• View Profile
Working version of Mulan
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 09:41:11 AM »
I vaguely remember this game... but I hope a fully-working version of it does pop up soon.
>>mindsConnected<<
The next-generation tech forum.

Yoni Arousement

• View Profile
    • http://yonihq.blogspot.com
Working version of Mulan
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 01:31:32 PM »
This ROM doesn't ring a bell, right? Because I could play the first level just fine.

Azathoth

• View Profile
Working version of Mulan
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 07:24:54 PM »
No, it doesn't ring a bell, because on real hardware and in Gens 2.14 it hangs at the end of the first part of the first level.

[!], [c] hangs after the "Wanna be a man" screen
[f1], [f2] hangs at the end of the first level

If you're running [f1] without problems, what emulator are you using that lets you go past that part?

Yoni Arousement

• View Profile
Working version of Mulan
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 09:58:35 PM »
Don't you "No" me! But I only played it very briefly and decided to jump to conclusions too soon...

Just played through the first level again and it turns out you're right. All I get next is a black screen with another tune and some sound effects playing. Now to look for a way to prevent that so the second level could load properly...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 10:14:26 PM by Yoni Arousement »

andlabs

• View Profile
Working version of Mulan
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 05:47:37 PM »
There's a way to properly emulate Mulan's copy protection/banking; it just needs to propagate from Genesis Plus GX's code to other emulators. (Does Kega already has this?) If anyone's masochistic enough they can try to rewire the game to not need the banking...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 05:48:19 PM by andlabs »

Azathoth

• View Profile
Working version of Mulan
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 07:06:07 PM »
My cart has the banking reworked, it's based on a patched ROM. I'll dump it soon.

Yoni Arousement

• View Profile
Working version of Mulan
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 01:22:32 AM »
Speaking of Genesis Plus GX, Super Bubble Bobble worked well on that emulator.

djshok

• View Profile
Working version of Mulan
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 12:40:11 PM »
Azathoth
Apr 21 2012, 07:06:07 PM
My cart has the banking reworked, it's based on a patched ROM. I'll dump it soon. [/quote]Woohoo! This game actually seems pretty good.

AxelRage92

• View Profile
Working version of Mulan
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 08:37:49 AM »
I have this version of the ROM: Mulan (Unl) [!].gen and for quite a long time I didn't know how to make it work. I have played on KEGA Fusion 3.51 and Gens 2.10. The game loaded the first level normally, but after completing the first part of it the image disappeared leaving a black screen (the music continued to play though). It seemed like everything worked correctly, but with no image. Then somebody advised me to check it on the last version of KEGA - 3.63. I have tried, and... IT WORKED!  :yay: I have completed all the levels and now I'm stuck on the final boss. He is really the one hard to beat.

Feel

• View Profile
Working version of Mulan
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 02:04:29 PM »
I've made a repro to play on my Megadrive and the game seems to work fine. I've just played it quickly and got my ass handed to me by the first boss, but there was no freeze whatsoever.

AxelRage92

• View Profile
Working version of Mulan
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 01:43:41 PM »
Feel
Aug 2 2012, 02:04:29 PM
I've made a repro to play on my Megadrive and the game seems to work fine. I've just played it quickly and got my ass handed to me by the first boss, but there was no freeze whatsoever.[/quote]The game has only four levels and if I'm not mistaken the third level doesn't have a boss at all. Maybe you should give it another try  :)

Feel

• View Profile
Working version of Mulan
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 05:31:35 AM »
Oh i definitely will. I wouldn't have made a repro if it wasn't to play it.
I've just got a ton of games to play and this one isn't a priority. Actually i've made it more for my wife, but i'll play it.

Ray of Lightning

• View Profile
Working version of Mulan
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 02:40:27 AM »
I'd hate to risk bumping an old topic, but as this is one of the pirate games I feel a certain affection for, I had to try and help solve your problems.

I had the same troubles as most of you here awhile back, I tried to load the ROM, beat the first level and then it hung up; black screen, music kept playing. I looked around everywhere for a working ROM but to no avail.

However, when I moved into my new flat, got a new computer, internet connection, blahblahblah, I looked for a complete ROMset (turns out it wasn't complete but whatever) and it had a bunch of unlicensed games included -- one of these was Mulan, so I gave it a try and, surprise surprise, it worked!

Here's a link to the file, which I've put up on my 4Sync account: Mulan (Unl) [!].bin

I don't know how it'll fair on every emulators and such, but on Fusion 3.64 it works perfectly. :)

I hope this, at least, manages to help some of you out.  ^_^

Okay, I think I might've done a fail, I just stumbled into the dumps section and apparently a working copy of the game has already been put up. I dun goofed.  >_< Apologies, guys.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 07:38:17 AM by Ray of Lightning »