Author Topic: why some nes multicarts don't work in original nes  (Read 2470 times)

dergatron9000

• View Profile
why some nes multicarts don't work in original nes
« on: December 27, 2013, 10:23:47 AM »
Just curious if anyone can shed some light on this for me.  I was about to buy 10 spica nes multicart then the seller told me they only work in unofficial consoles (spica, microgenius). Why is this? Any way around it? I was planning on reselling them. Carts are 126 in 1, red cart, multicoloured box with sonic on the front.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 06:07:24 PM »
If theyre NES carts its probably because of the lockout chip, they'll probably work if the chip is disabled. Some very recent high capacity Famicom multicarts only work on clones due to a (fixable) flaw in the PCB design but I doubt that's the case here.

dergatron9000

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 08:11:26 AM »
The seller said he tested them in an nes with the lockout chip disabled and they didn't work. But they work in a top loader and on a spica systen. I find this bizarre. The carts are nos.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 01:14:38 PM »
hm that is weird.. I thought the lockout was the only major hardware difference between an an original & a toploader, I have no idea why they wouldnt work if its disabled.

dergatron9000

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 05:35:50 AM »
Hmm looks like I'm going to have to buy a top loader. Bust out my screw driver and run some comparison tests.