Author Topic: Some new back info on pirates  (Read 8779 times)

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
Some new back info on pirates
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 05:56:16 AM »
oh yeah, and that whole Gamtec thing explains a lot, all those companies around Taichung that seemed to share staff and resources and stuff... i guess Gamtec was the centre of that whole operation. they probably supported development and supplied tools and stuff (except with C&E, i suppose they were pretty self sufficient) right up to the last few Sintax games in the mid(?) 2000s, as well as making a few games in-house themselves. which is kinda interesting because way back when I first noticed a bunch of Taiwanese games using the same fonts, before I knew they were from PC Paint or anything, my first assumption was that they were all made by Gamtec. i've found out a hell of a lot more since then but in a way I was right :D

and one thing i read in one of maxzhou88's blog posts recently, he mentioned Super Game's music was outsourced to a taiwanese company which ported the original MD games' music to their own (stolen) sound engine.. so i suppose that was almost certainly Gamtec.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 11:14:41 AM »
taizou
Sep 14 2010, 05:56:16 AM
oh yeah, and that whole Gamtec thing explains a lot, all those companies around Taichung that seemed to share staff and resources and stuff... i guess Gamtec was the centre of that whole operation. they probably supported development and supplied tools and stuff (except with C&E, i suppose they were pretty self sufficient) right up to the last few Sintax games in the mid(?) 2000s, as well as making a few games in-house themselves. which is kinda interesting because way back when I first noticed a bunch of Taiwanese games using the same fonts, before I knew they were from PC Paint or anything, my first assumption was that they were all made by Gamtec. i've found out a hell of a lot more since then but in a way I was right :D[/quote]Hee, yeah. Before I knew of PC Paint, I also thought they were some sort of Gamtec originals. But now that I know their origin, it still seems like the Gamtec 'cluster' is the only group that uses those fonts!

(Incidentally, a while back I realized that there's actually a legitimate PC game that uses the fonts from PC Paint-- "Hocus Pocus" by Apogee. I really should've noticed the fact that the fonts weren't Gamtec originals well before then. :) )

Quote:

and one thing i read in one of maxzhou88's blog posts recently, he mentioned Super Game's music was outsourced to a taiwanese company which ported the original MD games' music to their own (stolen) sound engine.. so i suppose that was almost certainly Gamtec.[/quote]Ah, that would definitely make sense! To be honest, I hadn't even thought of the fact that the sound engine might be outsourced. And the graphics needn't be outsourced; Gamtec could have just given them a copy of PC Paint and let them loose...

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 11:33:23 AM »
codeman38
Sep 14 2010, 11:14:41 AM
(Incidentally, a while back I realized that there's actually a legitimate PC game that uses the fonts from PC Paint-- "Hocus Pocus" by Apogee. I really should've noticed the fact that the fonts weren't Gamtec originals well before then. :) )[/quote]I first realised they weren't when I noticed one of them in one of about three super obscure MSX games that I picked completely at random with the intention of reviewing them on my site (which i inevitably never got around to doing), "Kempelen Chess", by... some company I can't remember. and if *that* game was in any way connected to Gamtec i'd have to rethink a hell of a lot of stuff I thought I knew about pretty much the entire games industry :D

edit: and yeah, I don't think Super Game's graphics were outsourced - iirc maxzhou88 specifically mentions porting them from the Mega Drive. Gamtec probably supplied a bunch of tools and stuff to all the developers they worked with, including a copy of PC Paint or GRASP or something, but just nothing music related.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 11:37:14 AM by taizou »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 12:36:28 PM »
If Super Game were linked with Gamtec then couldn't we ask Maxzhou88 for more info about then? Not to mention, if the music was outsourced then I think that means that they might not have developed Pocket Monster and its affiliates. (I know there's those graphics for the Super Game keyboard in the ROM but I believe those are leftover graphics from the multicart the game is from)

NintariousFamicreep

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 02:21:03 PM »
Yong Yong?