Author Topic: About those undumped carts of yours.....  (Read 9413 times)

Barver

• View Profile
About those undumped carts of yours.....
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2011, 10:12:56 PM »
Well, if you're going to go by the argument that rom dumping is for preservation and all that, then it makes sense that someone that owns a cartridge would also be willing to send theirs for dumping. You can't only expect someone who owns dumping equipment to do it all, since they don't necessarily have access to lots of rare cartridges out there.

Then again, I can't tell if you're dissing rom dumpers here or what =p

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2011, 05:18:21 AM »
Well either way, he shouldn't be. If it wasn't for them we'd need the original carts of everything to play these games, and that'd cost a pretty penny to do so.

Incidentally, I'm planning on sending a few of my carts to be dumped at some point.

iniche

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2011, 05:06:35 PM »
Barver
Jul 16 2011, 10:12:56 PM
Well, if you're going to go by the argument that rom dumping is for preservation and all that, then it makes sense that someone that owns a cartridge would also be willing to send theirs for dumping. You can't only expect someone who owns dumping equipment to do it all, since they don't necessarily have access to lots of rare cartridges out there.

Then again, I can't tell if you're dissing rom dumpers here or what =p
[/quote]

The degree of preservation is really subjective. Many cart owners want to preserve both the game itself and the media (box, manual, actual cartridge), while others value more the game itself. So, the act of dumping the ROM is most favorable to the latter.

As for dissing them, don't be ridiculous :P On the contrary, I'm praising those two in particular.

As for not having access to the rare cartridges, cah4e3 finds ways to acquire them. He can get them shipped directly over-seas, or he may also have some friends abroad who can relay the purchase to him for some $$. In whatever case, he dumped whatever I requested at his own expense; he even had to ensure that he could score a copy of Super Contra 5 before greenlighting the emulating for example.

I'm just saying the ROM dumpers over at emunes aren't ideal for those tight on cash. Plus, many of the requests they receive are for games that are available in high abundance in shops local to them and they cost a buck a piece (often being labelled as "junk"). But they nonetheless need the requester to pay for the cart, or send it to them, or a bit of both.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 05:09:49 PM by iniche »