Author Topic: Glorysun = Dragon Co.?  (Read 4221 times)

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Glorysun = Dragon Co.?
« on: March 12, 2011, 02:40:37 PM »
Ooh, here's an interesting one.

It's pretty common knowledge that the Russian (mis)translation of Barver Battle Saga, "Final Fantasy", was released by a company called Glorysun; the Russian ROM starts up with that company's logo. They've put out a number of other pirates, too-- mostly hacks of legit games, like that Wario Land hack of Puggsy.

However, the ROM header of Final Fantasy tells a different story:

"SEGA GENESIS    
(C)SEGA 2003.OCT
Dragon Software"

So does this mean Dragon = Glorysun? Or that, at the very least, there's some sort of relationship between the two companies?

The header also includes what seems to be some sort of ID number: "GM MK-1054". Don't know what that's about.

Yawackhary

• View Profile
Glorysun = Dragon Co.?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 06:39:41 PM »
codeman38

The header also includes what seems to be some sort of ID number: "GM MK-1054". Don't know what that's about.[/quote]

That number is the exact same one used in Streets of Rage 2. Each official/licensed game has an unique number to ID the game, the MK part is used at Sega's own games, the T is used for 3rd party games but not all games follow this pattern like early Accolade games use ACLD. Sonic & Knuckles uses this to detect the type of game for the Blue Sphere mode (if Sonic 1/Sonic 2 Beta/Sonic Compliation's code is detected then it plays the full version, if not it plays a random stage, not sure what happens if the code is the same one has Sonic 2 and 3 on a different game).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 06:48:01 PM by Yawackhary »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Glorysun = Dragon Co.?
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 10:09:55 PM »
Yawackhary
Mar 12 2011, 06:39:41 PM
That number is the exact same one used in Streets of Rage 2. Each official/licensed game has an unique number to ID the game, the MK part is used at Sega's own games, the T is used for 3rd party games but not all games follow this pattern like early Accolade games use ACLD. Sonic & Knuckles uses this to detect the type of game for the Blue Sphere mode (if Sonic 1/Sonic 2 Beta/Sonic Compliation's code is detected then it plays the full version, if not it plays a random stage, not sure what happens if the code is the same one has Sonic 2 and 3 on a different game).[/quote]I thought it was some sort of unique per-game ID-- but I didn't think to check actual licensed games. D'oh!

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
Glorysun = Dragon Co.?
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 12:56:15 AM »
interesting that its dated 2003 - thats the same year Dragon apparently closed, so it would have been one of the last things they made. maybe some of the people who didn't go to Hummer Software (see here) moved to Glorysun, and they took that project with them?

Azathoth

• View Profile
Glorysun = Dragon Co.?
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 11:33:14 PM »
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I don't know if this has been mentioned before or not. If it has, look over me.

Glory Sun was responsible for dozens of Mega Drive hacks but only very few completely original efforts. Death Caliber and Deer Hunter are completely original games (well, I'm sure they stole the digitized art from somewhere) but here's a little info found in the ROM header

Death Caliber
SEGA MEGA DRIVE @ TomXie 2002 May
URL:tomsoft.top263.net Only for Dragon Software
Tomsoft Studio SEGA Kit 1.10a  
By:TommyXie XI'ANGM
0200205-17 <---(which I'm assuming is May 17th 2002)

Deer Hunter
...SEGA MEGA DRIVE @TomXie 2002. Nov
URL:tomsoft.top263.net  Only for Dragon Software
0200211-11 <---(which I'm assuming is Nov 11th 2002)

Although I don't remember seeing the Glorysun logo in Iraq War 2003, here's the header full header info (wiki only has part of it)
.SEGA MEGA DRIVE @ TomXie 2003.Sep
URL:tomsoft.top263.net  Only for Dragon Software
0200309-18 <---(which I'm assuming is Sept 18th 2003)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 11:44:28 PM by Azathoth »

Barver

• View Profile
Glorysun = Dragon Co.?
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 12:33:25 AM »
It seems possible, though I remember TommyXie saying his devkit was licensed out to different companies, so it could be a separate place. I always got the impression GlorySun is somewhere based in Russia since that's their main market apparently and I haven't seen their games outside of there, while Dragon's stuff have appeared in Poland and South America.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Glorysun = Dragon Co.?
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 12:04:40 PM »
Glorysun is definitely Chinese I think, even if they did focus on the Russian market - i'm sure one of their games has Chinese text under the logo.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
Glorysun = Dragon Co.?
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 12:14:10 PM »
taizou
Jul 11 2011, 12:04:40 PM
i'm sure one of their games has Chinese text under the logo.[/quote]Yeah, Lord of the Rings has that.

badcat

• View Profile
Glorysun = Dragon Co.?
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 11:53:35 AM »
The impression Glorysun(Shen'Zhen) and Dragon(Xi'An) is part of the same company, Gloyson about in 911 when the closure of the Dragon is the same collapse in the second year; this tool came to be open, you can write mail to author to ask for all the SEGA development tools:contains the C development environment and music conversion program; this tool's author(Tommy) is still in Xi'an, China, and his new mail is: tomsoft@vip.sina.com; new url: www.hygraphics.com

Oh, and finally say, this guy already did not write the SEGA game last SEGA Games should be in 2000, other SEGA games with his tools, so you can find him to ask for these tools, but will not get any technical support

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
  • Cutting yourself is fun, as long as you're paper.
    • View Profile
Glorysun = Dragon Co.?
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 01:23:29 PM »
taizou
Mar 13 2011, 12:56:15 AM
interesting that its dated 2003 - thats the same year Dragon apparently closed, so it would have been one of the last things they made. maybe some of the people who didn't go to Hummer Software (see here) moved to Glorysun, and they took that project with them?

[/quote]Not really sure it was 2003 when Dragon Co. has shut their doors.

I just don't think that the "Dragon Co." copyrights slapped on can be some kind of pure coincidence. Or they may have just moved the "production date" one year forth...
badcat
Jul 21 2012, 11:53:35 AM
other SEGA games with his tools, so you can find him to ask for these tools, but will not get any technical support[/quote]Hummer time!

The SDK has been undigged from his site by Emu-Land.net, then me and SpaceNinja, long ago.

So very long ago.
taizou
Jul 11 2011, 12:04:40 PM
Glorysun is definitely Chinese I think, even if they did focus on the Russian market - i'm sure one of their games has Chinese text under the logo.[/quote]Even better, one of their hacks (Pirates of the Carribean, a.k.a. Uncharted Waters). Not to mention that the Russian text in their games obviously can't belong to a guy/girl from ex-USSR. Just to wrap it up, the above mentioned hack has a dog that says "YAP-YAP!" as opposed to more proper "GAV-GAV!".
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 01:35:17 PM by Crash Nicker »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Glorysun = Dragon Co.?
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 01:38:19 PM »
Crash Nicker
Jul 22 2012, 01:23:29 PM
I just don't think that the "Dragon Co." copyrights slapped on can be some kind of pure coincidence. Or they may have just moved the "production date" one year forth...[/quote]I think it might be a coincidence. "Dragon" is a really common name for Chinese companies.. and the logo is completely different.