Author Topic: Confirmation of unknown Sega Genesis / Mega Drive pirates  (Read 17576 times)

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
  • Cutting yourself is fun, as long as you're paper.
    • View Profile
Confirmation of unknown Sega Genesis / Mega Drive pirates
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2012, 09:36:17 AM »
taizou
Jun 19 2012, 08:18:10 AM
I have no idea about the publisher, but just a quick note on the developers of these games - TomSoft text in the ROM doesn't necessarily mean TomSoft (Tommy Xie) was personally involved, he made a dev kit which could have been used by any number of companies. I think Death Caliber at least was developed by Hummer Software, which was kind of the successor to Dragon Co., maybe they made some of the other stuff too.[/quote]So, that means Hummer may be actually involved in that?  O_o

I guess it's time to do a double-check.
No-uh, Hummer never ever made games for MegaDrive, so that variant simply drops off.

So all I can guess here out so far is either TomSoft or Glory Sun itself. I still have the feeling that it actually was the first... Or probably the remains of Dragon Co. Judge yourself:
  • None of those games (Pikachu 2, Pokemon Crazy Drummer, Harry Potter, Commandos, Death Caliber, Deer Hunter and so on) relied on actual chip sounds and music, only PCMs (despite the SDK actually had an actual MIDI converter!).
  • Three of them have really spooked-up Russhen, which just CAN'T be confused with anything else. It doesn't even look like a machine translation, to be honest, it's more like whoever did the texts for this game appearantly KNOWS Russian, but not even close enough to the proper one (most of the Chinese, as far as I know, have really hard time understanding Russian).
  • Commandos, which is released in Russhen, has Li Meng mentioned in credits as a music composer despite it obviously doesn't feature any tunes by him.
  • Li Meng was mentioned in Lion King 3 and Felix the Cat credits, also as a music composer.
Ye-e-e-e-e-eah, that's a conspiracy theory going around here...  :pandaaway:  It may be also possible, actually, that Li Meng just got drafted from one team to another and the fact he had to "make music" under a Tommy Xie's SDK may be a pure coincidence... Despite they work for the same publisher.

Although that makes me wonder then. Who is that mysterious Da Ne the programmer in Commandos' credits?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 02:11:07 AM by Crash Nicker »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2012, 02:37:48 PM »
well I should say Hummer Software doesn't have anything to do with Hummer Cheng or Hummer Team (as far as I know).. the name in Chinese was different. (Hummer Software's name is the Chinese for "hummingbird", Hummer Team's is a Chinese transcription of "Hummer") But Hummer Software was definitely the successor to Dragon Co, Tommy Xie himself confirmed that.
also, they definitely made Death Caliber, it was on their website:
http://web.archive.org/web/20070122023003/http://www.hummersoftware.com/video.asp
if you check the list on the right hand side, it seems to confirm they made Commandos, Deer Hunter & Harry Potter too. Not everything on that page is Mega Drive though, some are for the EMG10XX series, which was a chip used for plug and play consoles.

Hummer Soft was bought out by Prescope of Taiwan and renamed "Promexus", but both Prescope & Promexus' websites seem to be down now, so I'm not sure if they're still in business... but they made these three consoles, which were sold in Russia by Sharky I guess:
http://www.sharky-game.ru/console/13/
http://www.sharky-game.ru/console/14/
http://www.sharky-game.ru/console/15/
oh and there are some other Mega Drive games listed on that site that I've never seen (no pics though):

红楼梦 (Dream of the Red Chamber) - the description says this one is a board game + RPG + "cultivation" (dunno how to translate that) hybrid

卡拉OK (Karaoke)

世界板球 (World Cricket)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 03:08:44 PM by taizou »

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2012, 04:10:30 PM »
It may be that Li Meng decided to work for HS then. Well, considering that I can't read Chinese, nor I can watch the videos due to the site being down, I'm definitely missing a lot here...
Fixed the Death Caliber video description. Might fix some articles on the wiki regarding them... as soon as I get a damn sleep.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 04:16:10 PM by Crash Nicker »

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2012, 05:41:58 AM »
Okay, I've just figured out one little thing... If Commandos was released by Hummer Software, then may it be that Tommy Xie was a part of it? After all, Commandos and Command & Conquer Beta have the programming a bit too similar to be made by different coders (Da Ne for Commandos, Tommy Xie for C&C, see the below paragraph to see why). Did you noticed that the cursor actually scrolls on the same speed and that the more sprites you have on the screen, the more it lags? Yes, in both games.

After all, Wikipedia lists Tommy Xie as an uncertain "Chinese fan" with a dead link reference, which brings us to... The screenshots showing a more developed beta of this game which includes Tiberium and separate GDI and Nod sides!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 05:43:37 AM by Crash Nicker »

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2012, 05:00:06 PM »
I waited all these years and Biohazard 3 is a hack of fucking Body Count!?!?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSsrMnVIcGM&feature=player_embedded

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2012, 02:17:02 AM »
Azathoth
Jun 25 2012, 05:00:06 PM
I waited all these years and Biohazard 3 is a hack of fucking Body Count!?!?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSsrMnVIcGM&feature=player_embedded

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU[/quote]SARS war?!

What the hell should that mean?..

And I'm already guessing the Russian text in this game is gonna be bad, cos' in case with Glory Sun, it's inevitable. Since the string "Russia" should actually say "Russian"...

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2012, 05:44:14 AM »
I just knew this was going to be a Glorysun game. Too bad it isn't something more original.

With this soon to be dumped and Soul Edge VS Samurai Spirits available it seems most of the big Mega Drive mysteries I've followed for a while are solved.

Well, with the exception of Sonic Shuffle. Hopefully something undiscovered may present itself. I didn't know anything about Street Fighter II: 18 Person until I ran across that cart a while back, and although it's nothing groundbreaking I guess it proves there is still stuff out there that's 15+ years old that's undocumented.

Rapid_Fire

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2012, 12:25:52 PM »

Crash Nicker

SARS war?!

What the hell should that mean?..[/quote]

When i read that words the first time i was like O_o, but then searching in internet i found this:

Sars Wars  :lol:

Anyway, ¿anyone knows which company did Sonic Shuffle?, ¿is there's any cart available anywhere?

Cheers

Denymetanol

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2012, 08:07:02 PM »
These BODYCOUNThazard seems one screen edit and zero imagination, hehehe....... interesting thread, thanks for share these discovers ;-)