Author Topic: Confirmation of unknown Sega Genesis / Mega Drive pirates  (Read 17575 times)

recorderdude

• View Profile
Confirmation of unknown Sega Genesis / Mega Drive pirates
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 02:37:15 AM »
Took the time to beat mario 4 tonight. The ending is nothing special, a few scenes of peach's castle with some russian text, press start and go back to the title screen.

The journey there is more interesting, though.

Of all the games, this steals most things from mario and luigi: partners in time! There's shroobs in it in over the course of the second world, a bunch of other enemies from it and the final (and only) boss is a giant fawful cannonball, likely from bowser's inside story.

Still hell to play and awful with controls, though.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 02:37:35 AM by recorderdude »

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
  • Cutting yourself is fun, as long as you're paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 03:11:30 AM »
Some additional info on the discoveries.

Super Mario Bros. + Battle City
Well, pretty much, those are perfect ports of these games' NES countertypes. The reason why these are ports and not a proof that Kudos's henchmen have managed to make an 8-bit emulator on a 16-bit machine is... Okay, so once in a while you get to see the enemy tank trying to move off the level's boundaries: while it's first half is outside the level, the second one is still inside it. Apart from that bug, it is pretty much exactly the same thing as the original. And one of the few MD bootlegs I'd actually recommend for playing.

Death Caliber
First, I'd like you to count how many megabytes is this game's ROM big and compare this size to the other dumps of Tomsoft games. Second of all, the story centers around the 9/11 incident, where we play as the American support forces against the Iraq terrorists... But what's really ironic is that in another Tomsoft game, Iraq War 2003, we appearantly played against the Americans defending Iraq and cities nearby it. What's even more ironic is that while IW2003 was released exclusively in Engrish, DC has text in the same kind of Russheng that Commandos has.

So, it appears that DC has three modes literally translated to English as Game (a.k.a. story mode), Death Match (a. k. a. shoot-him-in-the-head) and Exercise (a. k. a. training mode). Death Match mode is nothing really spectacular: you pick one of two cannon fodder guys and make a headshot on him. The worst part of this mode is that during the 3-2-1-OK count, you can't see your cursor moving to the window with your opponent if you do so.

But wait, there's a worse problem: the cursor in all modes moves not only too fast but it appearantly doesn't want to be updated for about 5% of one freaking second. Which is more noticeable during the Game mode, where it moves like in a DVD port of Mad Dog McCree 2: The Lost Gold, and even it has more responsible controls than DC, to be honest.

Talking about the Game, you have to choose between two characters: Lora Crobt [oh yes, it's so sic!] and a guy from Birmingham with an obviously Chinese name, Zdangh Long, but it doesn't make any impact on the gameplay itself, appearantly. After you choose your difficulty (LEGKO, SLEDNE [sic again, it should have been SRENDE] and SLOZHNO), you will be brought to the first stage... where it's obligatory to wait for 20 seconds before you're surrounded by hordes (I can't even describe it better) of terrorist motherfuckers. That don't even look like they're from Iraq, although the graphics might have been ripped from Lethal Enforcers or something, I dunno.

Okay, now tell me, why I and everyone else who will play this piece of crap have to wait for 20 seconds for the enemies to appear when the actual stage starts? I mean, every freaking time it starts. :pandamad:  And why I literally get in the jeopardy and no one even dares to gimme a medkit or even a mere bulletproof vest?

So if you're looking a MegaDrive game which has no high vector counts, no complicated raytracing, no extraterresial methods of data depacking and yet barely manages to squeeze 6 FPS out of itself, then look no more. And you'd better go play their Commandos.

Deer Hunter
Or, as the Russheng title kindly puts it, The Hunter Deer.

...that has nothing to do with Deer Avenger though.

I can't say how much this game is accurate to the original because not only I've never played it, but the deer hunting simulators are pretty much a badly-famed genre. All I can say is that it includes several locations for hunting, as well as the training area. As soon as you start the game itself, you'll be shown a map where you are marked as the cross inside the circle and the deers are marked with the free-roaming crosses. Spot the deer, click on "Start Hunting", and you'll be brought to...

Loading screen. Which, like in case with DC, loads absolutely nothing but annoys you like hell.

Only after that useless POS progress bar you'll be brought to the first-person mode, which scrolls exactly like its' Iraq War 2003, but, considering the slow pace of Deer Hunter, it's perfectly acceptable this time.

Tanks Classic and Tanks 2011
So yes, it exploits the above Battle City engine mentioned above, only with new assets. It also has three difficulty levels (Soldier, Veteran and Hero) and two map packs, Quest (all new maps with custom tilesets) and Arcade (original Battle City maps).

But that was the hack by Simba's. Kudos has one of its' own, called Tanks 2011. Not only it rips off the title screen from a cell phone game named Tanchiki, but it also uses the same HQ design as King Tank by Gamtec did. I'll also mention it's more unplayable unlike the above hack thanks to the pallette from which you can't tell whether your tank has shield activated or not. Although, other than that, I have no complaints to the visual part. Oh, and this game has only one map pack.

P. S. There might be an actual NES Battle City hack that uses similar map design ideas: Tanks 2 by TIM007.

Pirates of the Carribean 4: On Stranger Tides

The game starts with two options: Jack Sparrow and The Crew. That would make a perfect name for a band, huh? But while these options' names don't make any sense at first, they will. Later on. Because you cannot unsee a fat Battle City clone!

Aye aye carumba, it's Battle City Coast! Which tries to make money off the fourth PotC movie, which was neat in my opinion. Only with some more toys added in to make your life harder: you can shoot left and right rather than forward, you can crush into reefs, the fortresses keep firing all the damn time...

And it has a supposed storyline text every time you start a level. Not to mention I still didn't got past the first stage...

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Fighting Edition
Pretty much, I expected it to be a yet another crappy port which is, appearantly, based off a Super Nintendo game with the same name, but... But it actually controls great for a mecha/zoid fighting game. So I thought it might be worth of your attention.

Can't say anything about the sounds, however: I tried it out on my good ol' PDA.

Rick Dangerous
If Russian pirates can't make NES indie games to be sold, then they'll definitely give a try on MegaDrive! Uwol: Quest for Money and Rick Dangerous (not even talking about Sonic Megamix) only seem be the proof of that fact, which gets better day after day.

Домино (Dominoes)
Released by New Game. Includes characters' graphics ripped off Micro Machines. Other than that, it's a pretty simple game of dominoes, so there's no need to blame the controls, the graphics and such.

Шахматы (Chess)
Released by Padis, now known as Shedevr (which has nothing to do with the translation group of the same name). In the long-ago 1998. Haven't looked at it much but it appearantly includes some endgame study challenges alongside the regular game of chess.
recorderdude
Jun 13 2012, 02:37:15 AM
Still hell to play and awful with controls, though.[/quote]Yeah, it is, although they're a lot better than Sonic Jam 6's. Not to mention it's actually a standalone game unlike Super Mario Bros., which was a cheap hack of Squirrel King.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 03:53:39 AM by Crash Nicker »

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 06:33:49 AM »
Crash Nicker
Jun 13 2012, 02:09:11 AM
...all being in this thread already.[/quote]Yeah...which is just a 10 month old thread discussing an update to his site that was new 10 months ago. Those games I mentioned have been newly added since then and have not been discussed or brought up on this forum.

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 06:38:10 AM »
Azathoth
Jun 13 2012, 06:33:49 AM
Crash Nicker
Jun 13 2012, 02:09:11 AM
...all being in this thread already.[/quote]Yeah...which is just a 10 month old thread discussing an update to his site that was new 10 months ago. Those games I mentioned have been newly added since then and have not been discussed or brought up on this forum.[/quote]Oopsy. My mistake then. Sorry.

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 07:09:34 AM »
Crash Nicker
Jun 13 2012, 06:38:10 AM
Oopsy. My mistake then. Sorry.[/quote]You should come by more often! Several of those dumps originated by members of this very forum. MMPR was graciously lent out for dumping by Barver last year.

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 07:16:09 AM »
Azathoth
Jun 13 2012, 07:09:34 AM
You should come by more often! Several of those dumps originated by members of this very forum. MMPR was graciously lent out for dumping by Barver last year. [/quote]The thing is, I was busy with the studies so much that I didn't had time to come here, so...

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 08:16:36 AM »
recorderdude
Jun 12 2012, 02:48:57 PM
Nice game over screens, pirates. The first is an obvious (and poor) edit, but the second two were either stolen from someone on deviantart or the pirates wanted to terrify a few kids.[/quote]Aren't these games actually homebrews stuffed into a cartridge?  I've never seen pirates be crude like that before.  That's something only an immature amateur game designer would do.  Or someone who can't spell "amateur".  Ahem.

I'd try these games out myself, but I think the video of Mario Galaxy from a previous thread said more than enough for me.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 08:17:52 AM by Pepper-98 »

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 10:24:34 AM »
Qiezei
Jun 13 2012, 08:16:36 AM
I've never seen pirates be crude like that before.[/quote]Psst! Lion King 5...

Pepper-98

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2012, 06:17:17 PM »
Crash Nicker
Jun 13 2012, 10:24:34 AM
Qiezei
Jun 13 2012, 08:16:36 AM
I've never seen pirates be crude like that before.[/quote]Psst! Lion King 5...[/quote]What exactly was in that game?  I don't remember much from it.  :huh:

And holy good god why is my internet acting up for the umpteenth time?

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2012, 04:10:29 AM »
Crash Nicker
Jun 12 2012, 04:17:01 PM
Same cutscene style, same font for the main menu, and it even bears the same sound config menu![/quote]Could you translate the sound config menu for the two Mario games?

The reason I ask is one guy that owns one of the Mario carts mentioned that it had an option to flip something off or on that was hardware dependent on which clone system you owned.

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2012, 04:21:41 AM »
Quote:

What exactly was in that game? I don't remember much from it. :huh: [/quote]
I guess this video may ring a bell.

Lion King 3 had the same level of violence... Maybe a bit less since GO screens are unanimated.

Quote:

Could you translate the sound config menu for the two Mario games?[/quote]

It works alright for Ben 10 and Mario 4 but appearantly resets in Mario 3's demo the dump of which we have.

So, you enter the options menu and press the A button to configure sound. Here what it says:
Quote:

SOUND OPTIONS

MUSIC: YES [NO]
MUSIC DRIVER: 1 [2]
SOUND 1: YES [NO]

SET THE SOUND SETTINGS ACCORDING TO YOUR GAME CONSOLE[/quote]

I might get along with the cutscene translations, too, as long as I get the ending of Mario 4... In the form of screenshots. Or video.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 04:49:33 AM by Crash Nicker »

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2012, 05:12:27 AM »
Thanks, it seems that was correct what the guy mentioned about the setting. I guess a 16-bit Sega clone exists with enhanced sound hardware?

Noticed today that Mario has the in game pause menu to spend coins on stuff, but unfortunately I never played long enough to buy anything.

On real hardware the game (3 & 4) crashes when you fall into a pit, is this the same on emulators?

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2012, 05:57:39 AM »
Azathoth
Jun 14 2012, 05:12:27 AM
Thanks, it seems that was correct what the guy mentioned about the setting. I guess a 16-bit Sega clone exists with enhanced sound hardware?

On real hardware the game (3 & 4) crashes when you fall into a pit, is this the same on emulators?[/quote]I guess not. ZX Spectrum was, to my knowledge, upgraded sound-wise, but that's all thanks to the fans. I doubt pirates would like to add more channels to the console that already generates hell-a-ton of sounds per second.

And no, it's actually supposed to bring you back to the beginning of the stage.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 05:58:45 AM by Crash Nicker »

Pepper-98

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2012, 08:27:06 AM »
Crash Nicker
Jun 14 2012, 04:21:41 AM
Quote:

What exactly was in that game? I don't remember much from it. :huh: [/quote]
I guess this video may ring a bell.[/quote].................................................

...Statement retracted.

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2012, 10:40:55 AM »
Okay, so, is anyone willing to go through Mario 4 again and make the ending? I'm going to screw through Ben 10 meanwhile...