Author Topic: Confirmation of unknown Sega Genesis / Mega Drive pirates  (Read 17574 times)

Azathoth

• View Profile
Confirmation of unknown Sega Genesis / Mega Drive pirates
« on: April 15, 2012, 05:02:57 PM »
So I guess this might not be news to everyone, but it was to me, so I thought I'd share. I'd love to see a box art or cart shot of all these.

First is Super Mario 4: Mario Galaxy aka Супер Марио 4: Космическая Одиссея aka Super Mario 4: Space Odyssey video we spoke about in this thread.

Then there's Супер Марио 3: Вокруг Света aka Super Mario 3: Around the Light which looks like it's the exact same thing as the above mentioned Super Mario 4 just with different levels. Youtube video here.

Then there's Ben 10: Alien Force, which I would have bet my life was another crappy Russian sprite hack but is actually a new beat 'em up style game (from what I can tell). Youtube link

I have also found confirmation that Sonic Shuffle for Mega Drive does in fact exist, it's a card/puzzle type game, possibly all original, in Russian but has Chinese credits... which obviously points to Glorysun being behind it. Resident Evil aka Biohazard 3 has Chinese on the cart label, so it's possible it's by Glorysun also.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 06:19:34 PM »
The first three games definitely seem to be related in some way to the Russian homebrew scene, though I'm not sure exactly how.

There are some background songs shared among all three games. As discussed on the Mario 4 thread, that particular game shares some music with a Pirates of the Caribbean-themed Battle City clone that's been dumped. The ROM of that PotC game, in turn, has some TFM Music Maker song headers buried in it, from both Shiru and other Russian sceners.

(Also, one of the tunes in the Ben 10 game is a conversion of a song from Robocop 3 for NES. Lulz.)
Yep, definitely some homebrew TFM Music Maker stuff with the music. So much so that these are all TFM modules that are available on the Modland FTP site. :lol: Curiously, they play at a much faster speed in the game than the original TFM tracks, though...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 06:39:30 PM by codeman38 »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 06:45:38 PM »
codeman38
Apr 15 2012, 06:19:34 PM
Yep, definitely some homebrew TFM Music Maker stuff with the music. So much so that these are all TFM modules that are available on the Modland FTP site. :lol: Curiously, they play at a much faster speed in the game than the original TFM tracks, though...[/quote]Reminds me of TomSoft's SegaMusic program, where the converted music plays at a considerably higher pitch than it's supposed to.

Also, given the simplicity of these games I think they might have been programmed in BASIC or something like that.

Brn89

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 03:35:42 AM »
So, all three of these games are homebrews but not necessarily bootlegs? I thought they were at first.
>>mindsConnected<<
The next-generation tech forum.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 08:48:05 AM »
BrydoRX
Apr 16 2012, 03:35:42 AM
So, all three of these games are homebrews but not necessarily bootlegs? I thought they were at first.[/quote]Well, seeing as they use copyrighted sources without permission and were sold, I think they would count as bootlegs.

Rapid_Fire

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 01:09:24 PM »
If someone want to test some of this games, here you can download them. Or if you don't want to search, i'll left here the direct download links (taken from the same web site)

Ben 10

Mario 3

Mario 4

recorderdude

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 02:11:10 PM »
Hmm, KEGA fusion won't run the marioes at all, but ben 10 works fine in it.

Is there any FCEU-MMs to genesis emulation that are better with pirate mappers or something like that?

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 02:29:17 PM »
recorderdude
Jun 12 2012, 02:11:10 PM
Hmm, KEGA fusion won't run the marioes at all, but ben 10 works fine in it. [/quote]Odd; I'm using that and the Mario games work fine. (Well, as best as they can given how awful the games are)

recorderdude

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 02:30:40 PM »
I'm using 3.64. Maybe if I try 3.63....

EDIT: NVM, I just had to edit the russian out of the filename.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 02:32:46 PM by recorderdude »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 02:32:36 PM »
recorderdude
Jun 12 2012, 02:30:40 PM
I'm using 3.64. Maybe if I try 3.63....[/quote]I'm using 3.64, so it's not that. :\

recorderdude

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 02:48:57 PM »

Nice game over screens, pirates. The first is an obvious (and poor) edit, but the second two were either stolen from someone on deviantart or the pirates wanted to terrify a few kids.

The music on all of them has to be stolen, though. Pirate devs would never put that much effort into it.

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
  • Cutting yourself is fun, as long as you're paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 04:17:01 PM »
Fun fact: according to what it says in Russian, Mario 3 is actually a demo version.

Oh, and how about Tomsoft's Death Caliber and Deer Hunter?
More fun facts: I've beaten Ben 10 today, actually. It appears nothing more than a boring beat-em-up with no more than two enemies on the screen, all using the same projectile (or dust, if you prefer), with all that repetitiveness mixed with very rare laser barriers and even more rare medkits. It's as boring as it's easy, actually, having about 10 stages with (sometimes) different backgrounds. As you beat the game, all you get is only one goddamn ending screen.

Yes, all Mario 3, 4 and Ben 10 appear to have the same author. Same cutscene style, same font for the main menu, and it even bears the same sound config menu! No idea who the said author might be, though...
Quote:

Then there's Супер Марио 3: Вокруг Света aka Super Mario 3: Around the Light[/quote]

Never trust the machine translators unless they give you several meanings of one word.

It's actually translated as "Mario 3: Around The World".
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 04:23:35 PM by Crash Nicker »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 10:29:20 PM »
For the two Mario games, rename the files so they don't have Cyrillic characters. Kega doesn't like Unicode for some reason.

Edit: D'oh, I see recorderdude already mentioned that. In my defense, my eyes are tired...
recorderdude
Jun 12 2012, 02:48:57 PM
The music on all of them has to be stolen, though. Pirate devs would never put that much effort into it.[/quote]Yep. I found this a while back (edit: further up this very thread, in fact!), but they're all existing TFM Music Maker mods, heh.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 10:32:39 PM by codeman38 »

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 11:24:41 PM »
Thanks for telling us about this update!

Looks like there's a few more new ones besides those; Spongebob Squarepants, Cars 2, Assassin's Creed (!), Spy Kids, etc.

Great!

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
  • Cutting yourself is fun, as long as you're paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 02:09:11 AM »
Azathoth
Jun 12 2012, 11:24:41 PM
Looks like there's a few more new ones besides those; Spongebob Squarepants, Cars 2, Assassin's Creed (!), Spy Kids, etc.

Great![/quote]...all being in this thread already.