Author Topic: Name that sound driver!  (Read 2338 times)

Azathoth

• View Profile
Name that sound driver!
« on: January 27, 2012, 12:02:05 AM »
Barring Virtua Fighter VS Tekken 2 (or maybe not) did all the one-on-one fighters for Mega Drive use the SMPS engine? And this was the same as the High Seas Havoc sound driver, correct?

What about the platformers? (Mulan, Pocket Monster, Hercules 2, Lion King 2, etc)

And how exactly did the High Seas Havoc sound engine get to be the tool of choice?

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
Name that sound driver!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 01:11:01 PM »
I'm not in a position to check at the moment but a lot of those games used the High Seas Havoc sound driver, yeah - not all of them, though. Lion King 2 didn't for example, but that was a fairly earlyish Gamtec game (made around the same time as Squirrel King I think).

AFAIK it was first used in Chuanpu's RPGs, and presumably the games using it shared either a composer, a sound programmer or a regular programmer who liked the engine..

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Name that sound driver!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »
High Seas Havoc isn't SMPS - it's a custom sound driver by Data East.

SMPS was used in Gamtec's earlier games, including Squirrel King and Lion King 2. (In fact, the SMPS code is specifically ripped from Wonder Boy III-- there's a telltale sound effect in both those games.) I believe it's also used in VF vs. Tekken 2.

Edit: And yes, Mulan, both Pocket Monsters, and Hercules all use the High Seas Havoc driver. Most of the fighting games do too, but I seem to recall one or two odd ones out that used SMPS (I'll have to check which.)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 08:12:06 PM by codeman38 »

Azathoth

• View Profile
Name that sound driver!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 08:48:04 PM »
Any idea why the High Seas Havoc driver ended up being used?