Author Topic: Does anyone know what company made this gbc game?  (Read 2804 times)

chmaster

• View Profile
Does anyone know what company made this gbc game?
« on: November 30, 2012, 06:53:10 AM »
As title, please see the screenshots. I'm curious what company made this game. However, I couldn't find any information about it.

Used gblist to check the rom and the game's name turned out to be "csmGameEngine".  :shock:

I am a Chinese, so I know the game is based on a famous martial art novel "The Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber", in traditional Chinese "倚天屠龍記".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Heaven_Sword_and_Dragon_Saber

BTW, the characters on the title screen is in traditional Chinese "十面埋伏 屠龍篇", in English it may mean "Surrounded by Hidden Enemies, Chapter Slaying the Dragon". If you search with 十面埋伏, you probably find pages about a movie called "House of Flying Daggers". However, the title has nothing to do with the moive "House of Flying Daggers". 十面埋伏 is an idiom in Chinese and literally means "surrounded by hidden enemies".

So, does anyone can help to tell me about the game? Thanks.

Attachments:

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 09:18:57 AM »
It's one of a series of four (at least), but only two of them are dumped: 十面埋伏-风云篇, 十面埋伏-天龙篇, 十面埋伏-屠龙篇, 十面埋伏-英雄篇.

As far as I know the developer is called "Tian Cai Xiao Zi" (天才小子), the name is hidden in the ROM and I have a copy of one of the other games in the series that actually displays the logo on-screen. Though that could be the name of a publisher or something else, for all I know - some other RPGs from the same developers were released by Sintax under their own name, like this one.

The RPG engine they use is actually based on one originally developed by Vast Fame, I'm not sure how they got hold of it, but they weren't very good at using it... and csmGameEngine is actually the name of a homebrew GB game engine, so I guess they based part of it on that too. Also all the music is stolen from Telefang.

also, welcome to the forum!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 09:19:07 AM by taizou »

chmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 01:18:47 AM »
Gee, that's detailed. Thanks so much Taizou!
Did some search. It seems 天龙篇 was dumped, too.

Yes, I'm new. I came here through your site. :D

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 01:46:15 PM »
Oh, another bit of trivia about 屠龍篇 that taizou didn't mention: the title screen is a hilariously blatant ripoff of that from Azure Dreams.

Attachments:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 01:56:56 PM by codeman38 »

chmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 06:49:30 AM »
Gee, you guys really know about these games a lot.
I'm educated. :D

Superjustinbros

• View Profile
    • http://superjustintheblog.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 11:43:05 PM »
I immediately recognized that this was constructed off of something Vast Fame made with how the two sprites in the in-game screenshot (the character in bed and the dialogue cursor) looked.

If I had any cue in video game development, and if the engine Vast Fame made was available, I'd love to construct a game off that engine.

timedriver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 01:33:28 AM »
Tian Cai Xiao Zi(天才小子) Too!